Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
lisalover1
Next-Gen

I'm Really Starting To Hate Namco.

by lisalover1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:11 pm

...Mainly for not localizing any Tales Of games. Let me explain. Recently, as you may have heard, Namco announced 3 new titles in the Tales Of series, one of which was a remake of a title in the series from this generation that also has not seen a US/Europe release. Needless to say, fans of the series were incensed at this news. During the past week, said fans have tried desperately to get Namco's attention via various methods, such as spamming their Facebook wall relentlessly [I swear, there are at least 3 new posts every minute!], a survey about the Tales series to be sent to Namco themselves, a Playstation Blog "Idea", and a GameFAQs poll. Normally, this would sound like standard fan ranting, but there's something different about it this time. What's different you ask? Well, listen to this. The aforementioned survey got over 4,057 responses, the PSBlog idea got 2,087 votes, their Facebook wall got an unmeasurable amount of posts, and the GameFAQs poll got a shocking 18,433 votes for the Tales Of series alone, and won the poll by a vast margin. That's pretty amazing, when you think about it! I have never seen such support for a series, without an adequate response from the company. Mind you, most fans probably contributed to all of these, but even with such a worst-case scenario, that's still 14,386 responses! The best case scenario is 24,577 responses, by the way. That is several thousand people essentially pledging to buy the games if they are released. And this is a small fraction of what would ultimately be the sales of the games. Hell, if Namco actually invested more than pocket change in the games' marketing budgets, who knows how well they would sell? Now, I have tried to think about this rationally, from Namco's perspective; I tried to frame the situation in a strictly financial sense. But even then, it doesn't make sense for them to not localize them! They could even let another company like XSEED, Atlus, or Nippon Ichi localize them, and save a bundle on costs. At this point, Namco's not being greedy, they're just being stupid. Here's the link to most of the story so far: http://scrawlfx.com/2010/08/the-battle-for-tales-localization
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
yomomma1
128-bit

Re: I'm Really Starting To Hate Namco.

by yomomma1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Atleast most of TOV made it to the us.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 pm

yomomma1 wrote:Atleast most of TOV made it to the us.

Yeah, but there was just so much added to the PS3 version that the 360 version is almost not enjoyable anymore.
yomomma1
128-bit

by yomomma1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

lisalover1 wrote:

Yeah, but there was just so much added to the PS3 version that the 360 version is almost not enjoyable anymore.

Okay.

Did you see the new corvette? Mine sucks now because it only has 80% of what that one has.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:27 pm

yomomma1 wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:

Okay.

Did you see the new corvette? Mine sucks now because it only has 80% of what that one has.

Touché. But video games are not cars. Except for sports games, it is rare for a game to get re-released with more content the very next year. Also, one would still technically have access to that car; so it isn't out of your reach, or unusable to you because of some change. So, it is understandable how that analogy kind of falls flat. But, forgive me, I'm nitpicking.
yomomma1
128-bit

by yomomma1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Okay,

Did you see the new corvette? Mine sucks now because it only has 80% of what that one has. I'll probably never get it, and If I do it probably won't have all the features of the japanese one.(voice acting) I could import it but I wouldn't know how to drive it.
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Namco just can't market.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:45 pm

not buying a 360 for 1 game.

If USA chances are slim I don't even want to imagine what the chances for Europe are.

....oh but wait. The PS3 is region free. Heheheheheheheehhehehe. Namco, I'm going to give you my money either you like it or not.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
yomomma1
128-bit

by yomomma1 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:48 pm

It was released in 2008 on the 360 For NTSC and JP, and 2009 for PAL. Then 2009 for JP PS3
Following that pattern... they are running a bit late if they planned to localize it.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 pm

yomomma1 wrote:It was released in 2008 on the 360 For NTSC and JP, and 2009 for PAL. Then 2009 for JP PS3
Following that pattern... they are running a bit late if they planned to localize it.

They probably waste a lot of time each day to find out who works on Tekken X Street Fighter and who on Street Fighter X Tekken... lot's of mix ups with that.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Return to General Gaming