Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Places to fix gameboy cartridges?

by SwooshBear Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 pm

My pokemon crystal wont save anymore and Swiftzx (my friend/neighbor) told me that its because the battery inside the cartridge died. You guys know of any place that could fix it for me?
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Re: Places to fix gameboy cartridges?

by dedalusdedalus Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:40 pm

All you need is a game bit and a replacement battery. Trust me, if you have the motor skills to type, you have the motor skills to replace a save battery.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

by SwooshBear Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:45 pm

dedalusdedalus wrote:All you need is a game bit and a replacement battery. Trust me, if you have the motor skills to type, you have the motor skills to replace a save battery.

Okay thanks, but where would i find a game bit and a replacement battery? Do all gameboy games use the same type of battery to save, like a watch battery or something?
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

by dedalusdedalus Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... goldsilve/

There's a tutorial for everything on the internet.

As for gamebits, a lot of people on this site have had good experiences with electricquarter on ebay. I also got my bits and screwdriver handle from them.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:57 pm

As far as the battery itself goes... Most people do that 'tape trick' but I would advise against it IF you can. You can by the battery with the solder tabs already spot welded on, though it's a little more expensive. I think it's completely worth it, since you only have to buy the one battery. With the tape trick, it's not exactly secure.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 pm

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/11/ ... ttery.html
Same idea, but smaller.
I have 2 left over gameboy batteries I ordered off of ebay with tabs properly spot-welded. The 3 I used all worked great, 1 taped, 2 soldered. The one I taped, was a test to see if it could fail (I was following the guide), and it successfully kept a save after bouncing off the concrete on my patio a few times. The next day my gamebit screwdriver tips arrived and so I properly soldered the 2 games I actually cared about.
PM me your address if you're interested in doing it yourself and I'll mail the 2 batteries for free.
I got my 2 gamebit screwdriver heads off Ebay user nuttinbutgamestuff:
http://shop.ebay.com/nuttinbutgamestuff/m.html
I removed the screw on the first cart using fine-point tweezers. It removed a bit of plastic around the screw, and took about 3 minutes, but the screw came in and out okay. It was well worth the price for the gamebit tips. I've used them several times since on several systems and carts. In most cases, I wouldn't have been able to use anything else. If you're only doing the one cart you should be able to do without the 3.8mm bit.

Some other places to look via forum search:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19016
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21134
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21723

It looks like http://www.electricquarter.com/ is the best place if you want quality at the best price.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

by SwooshBear Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:07 pm

I'll have to get back to you on that, a friend of mine does have some gamebit screwdrivers but im unsure if he has the batteries. if he doesnt have them then i love to take them off your hands, thanks! :D

Return to General Gaming