Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by ZeroAX Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 am

Ack wrote:Dare I ask what absurdly high number of units sold does ZeroAX require before he considers a game successful?



Well 5 million I guess.

Or another way to define success, how many people outside of gaming know Tomb Raider, COD, Guitar Hero ect. and how many know Metroid? I'm talking about huge successes. That's what activision wants. Not making enough for the sequel.



Ack wrote: Female protagonists appear quite a bit in survival horror...in fact, I wonder if they appear as the lead more often in this genre than in any other.


I'm guessing since women are seen as more fragile than men the game designers believe it will help with the games "mood".
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
the7k
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4313
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:48 am

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by the7k Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:19 pm

ZeroAX wrote:Well 5 million I guess.

Or another way to define success, how many people outside of gaming know Tomb Raider, COD, Guitar Hero ect. and how many know Metroid? I'm talking about huge successes. That's what activision wants. Not making enough for the sequel.


*Doubles back* 5 MILLION!? WHAT IN THE...?
You do realize that, of all the games on the PS2, only thirteen reached that amount in WORLDWIDE sales? And, strangely enough, Final Fantasy X-2 (a game with ONLY female protagonists) was one of them!

In fact, of all the games on the PS2, only 223 sold 1 Million. That's out of around 1275 games.

I'm guessing since women are seen as more fragile than men the game designers believe it will help with the games "mood".

Could also be because more females play survival horror games than males. Whether that has to do with the female protagonists or not, I'm not sure... but I've not seen any girls that refused to play Alan Wake because of the lead being a male, so I doubt it.

Of course, I feel like Haunting Grounds would have not felt anywhere near as creepy if I was playing as a male.
Limewater
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2788
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am
Location: Baltimore Washington Corridor

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by Limewater Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:25 pm

the7k wrote:
I'm guessing since women are seen as more fragile than men the game designers believe it will help with the games "mood".

Could also be because more females play survival horror games than males. Whether that has to do with the female protagonists or not, I'm not sure... but I've not seen any girls that refused to play Alan Wake because of the lead being a male, so I doubt it.

Of course, I feel like Haunting Grounds would have not felt anywhere near as creepy if I was playing as a male.


Horror film protagonists seem more likely to be female as well, at least anecdotally.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by ZeroAX Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

the7k wrote:
*Doubles back* 5 MILLION!? WHAT IN THE...?
You do realize that, of all the games on the PS2, only thirteen reached that amount in WORLDWIDE sales? And, strangely enough, Final Fantasy X-2 (a game with ONLY female protagonists) was one of them!


totally get your point. But I don't understand why you guys don't realize that I'm talking about the way Activision is looking at it. What are their franchises that they keep releasing sequels for? COD, Blizzard games, Guitar Hero. They don't care for games that can't be milked yearly. And games that can be milked yearly are games that are huge successes.

It's a shock to me that they haven't entered the sports game market. Perhaps it's because of stiff competition.
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
AgentCupcakes
16-bit
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Youngsville

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by AgentCupcakes Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:14 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
totally get your point. But I don't understand why you guys don't realize that I'm talking about the way Activision is looking at it. What are their franchises that they keep releasing sequels for? COD, Blizzard games, Guitar Hero. They don't care for games that can't be milked yearly. And games that can be milked yearly are games that are huge successes.

It's a shock to me that they haven't entered the sports game market. Perhaps it's because of stiff competition.


Just putting it out there you say that activision is milking Blizzard Games? How long have we been waiting for Diablo 3? Since before I knew my ABCs same with Starcraft. I hardly think that would be considered yearly milking.
Systems: Genesis, SNES, Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP

Twitter: Agent_Cupcakes
AppleQueso
 

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by AppleQueso Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Activision probably wants to, but Blizzard is in a good enough position that they don't really have to listen.
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by ZeroAX Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm

AgentCupcakes wrote:
Just putting it out there you say that activision is milking Blizzard Games? How long have we been waiting for Diablo 3? Since before I knew my ABCs same with Starcraft. I hardly think that would be considered yearly milking.


no. but they sure milk the franchise in merchandising :P.


anyway what I had in mind when I said they milk blizzard dry, is that blizzard is one of the most successful and largest developers in the world.... and yet they only have 3 franchises. And 2 of them are warhammer and warhammer 40K rip-offs (still waiting for that law suit). I mean the guys at Infinity Ward got the boot for wanting to work on something other than Call of Duty.

Don't the people at Blizzard, likewise, want to work on something else? When a company with Blizzard's name makes a new ip I'm sure it will turn a lot of heads.
Last edited by ZeroAX on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2183
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by AmishSamurai Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 pm

ZeroAX wrote:no. but they sure milk the franchise in merchandising :P.


anyway I what I had in mind when I said they milk blizzard dry, is that blizzard is one of the most successful and largest developers in the world.... and yet they only have 3 franchises. And 2 of them are warhammer and warhammer 40K rip-offs (still waiting for that law suit). I mean the guys at Infinity Ward got the boot for wanting to work on something other than Call of Duty.

Don't the people at Blizzard, likewise, want to work on something else? When a company with Blizzard's name makes a new ip I'm sure it will turn a lot of heads.


Blizzard actually has other franchises (The Lost Vikings, Rock and Roll Racers). Also, if you're saying Starcraft is a ripoff of 40K because of Zerg/Tyranids and Terrans/IG and Space Marines, then Games Workshop owes Heinlein a mountain in royalties since he created the original Space Marine and had them fighting bug swarm aliens in Starship Troopers.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.


I'm a girl btw
User avatar
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by pepharytheworm Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:34 pm

If men leads sell games more then why are all of the worst selling and worst games starring men. I am not sure what sex E.T. really is though. If you go by Activision logic then they shouldn't have male leads because they have the worst sales record also.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
User avatar
Shabba
24-bit
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Richmond,VA

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by Shabba Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:49 pm

pepharytheworm wrote:If men leads sell games more then why are all of the worst selling and worst games starring men. I am not sure what sex E.T. really is though. If you go by Activision logic then they shouldn't have male leads because they have the worst sales record also.


You don't think that's offset by the hundreds of great selling games starring male lead roles?
-Colin
2600/5200/7800, C64, Colecovision, ADAM, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, TurboDuo, N64, DC, PS1/2/3, PSX, GC, 360, Wii, GB, LYNX, NGPC, PSP, Turboexpress
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nightrnr and 10 guests