Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

by Gamerforlife Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:25 pm

pepharytheworm wrote:What would Ms. Pac-man say about all this.

Cooking mama series seems to sell well and arguably anything Barbie is in. How well did Super Princess Peach, Bloodrayne, Final Fantasy X-2, Space Channel 5, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Syberia sell? They all seemed popular. Even most of the Resident Evil games starred a woman.

A lot of those games you mentioned are kind of niche titles though aren't they? Bloodrayne was popular for a while, but it was brief. Her shitty movie didn't help. FFX2 was more successful in Japan than anywhere else I believe. I think the most successful RE games are the ones that didn't feature a female lead like RE2(which CO-STARRED a female)and RE 4 and 5(which starred Leon, then Chris in RE5 with Sheva playing sidekick). The Dino Crisis games had a nice female lead, but I don't think they were as successful as the RE games and DC 3 buried the series.

Honestly, I don't think any female lead caught on the way Lara Croft did. There isn't any female video game character more well known outside of the gaming world. I've known some women who like the Tomb Raider series, but I think a lot of women just see her as a stereotype and aren't interested in playing any Tomb Raider games. All they've focused on since TR 2 was Lara's body and proficiency with guns, not a character all women can appreciate

EDIT:And most people who think Pacman, just think of Pacman rather than Ms Pacman. You mentioned that Princess Peach game, she's got nothing on Mario's name brand
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

by Jrecee Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm waiting for a game featuring a transgender lead.

Oh, I forgot about every Japanese rpg ever released.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Jrecee wrote:I'm waiting for a game featuring a transgender lead.

Does this count???
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
pepharytheworm wrote:What would Ms. Pac-man say about all this.

Cooking mama series seems to sell well and arguably anything Barbie is in. How well did Super Princess Peach, Bloodrayne, Final Fantasy X-2, Space Channel 5, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Syberia sell? They all seemed popular. Even most of the Resident Evil games starred a woman.

A lot of those games you mentioned are kind of niche titles though aren't they? Bloodrayne was popular for a while, but it was brief. Her shitty movie didn't help. FFX2 was more successful in Japan than anywhere else I believe. I think the most successful RE games are the ones that didn't feature a female lead like RE2(which CO-STARRED a female)and RE 4 and 5(which starred Leon, then Chris in RE5 with Sheva playing sidekick). The Dino Crisis games had a nice female lead, but I don't think they were as successful as the RE games and DC 3 buried the series.

Honestly, I don't think any female lead caught on the way Lara Croft did. There isn't any female video game character more well known outside of the gaming world. I've known some women who like the Tomb Raider series, but I think a lot of women just see her as a stereotype and aren't interested in playing any Tomb Raider games. All they've focused on since TR 2 was Lara's body and proficiency with guns, not a character all women can appreciate

EDIT:And most people who think Pacman, just think of Pacman rather than Ms Pacman. You mentioned that Princess Peach game, she's got nothing on Mario's name brand

So you agree with Activision? So none of the games I mentioned sold well? I know nothing of how any of the titles I mentioned sold but none of them failed or flopped did they? While Pac-man might be the most well known, I think Ms. Pac-man out did the original.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Yeah I don't think I've ever actually seen a Pac Man cabinet in person. It's always Ms Pac Man.
KDub
Next-Gen

by KDub Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 pm

It seems like a lot people just decide to pretend that Samus isn't really a women.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:27 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Jrecee wrote:I'm waiting for a game featuring a transgender lead.

*Ranma 1/2*
Does this count???

Also Nier, or however it's spelled.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

by swiftzx Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 pm

To this day, Perfect Dark is my favorite FPS, Back on topic...let's see how well the new Metroid game sells, and how Activision reacts :lol:
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:59 am

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Ack

by Ack Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 am

Dare I ask what absurdly high number of units sold does ZeroAX require before he considers a game successful?

Either way, if female leads are relegated to niche titles, oh well, I enjoy a lot of niche titles anyway. The Fatal Frame series was fun for me, and my girlfriend loved Rule of Rose, even if they didn't sell very well. ClockTower 3 and Haunting Ground were entertaining for us as well, as was Kuon. And Silent Hill 3 happens to be a personal favorite in the series. And then there was Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica. In two of those games the females starred, while in two others players had a choice(and I preferred playing as Jill in Resident Evil because who doesn't love a Jill Sandwich?). And then there was digital actress Laura...

Granted these titles weren't hugely successful beyond a few Resident Evil games, but one of my most favored genres happens to be a niche genre in the first place, so I won't blame it. Female protagonists appear quite a bit in survival horror...in fact, I wonder if they appear as the lead more often in this genre than in any other.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming