Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Post by Ziggy »

I don't know, some one told me to buy $3 HDMI cables once (gave me a link) but that just doesn't sound right. I can't justify spending $90+ on Monster or something similar, but $3 is probably a really shitty cable. Forget about the connector fitting snug and the length. How about wires breaking internally? I hate that! Granted, most of the time, after the cable is plugged in, it'll just be sitting there.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I was put off by the price of them but they've been coming bundled with things we buy. A region free DVD player came with one, and then an Acer Computer monitor came with one (!?).

Except I don't actually have anything to use them for. I tried hooking up the dvd player to my hdtv with the hdmi, but I actually preferred the old dvd player with component cables.

By the time I buy a bluray player they'll probably start coming with them too.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Ziggy587 wrote:I don't know, some one told me to buy $3 HDMI cables once (gave me a link) but that just doesn't sound right.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10240

I bought 2 6 foot ones (to have a spare) and have been using one with my PS3 and it's been great. Monoprice is cheap and gives you a ton of color choices so you can keep track of what is what in the birds nest behind your TV or color coordinate if you are so inclined.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

For HDMI 1.3 cables being used for just video and relatively low bandwidth Dolby 5.1 data it's fine to use cheap cables and you won't see a difference. Some cheapos have lots of issues when using Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio because the bandwidth needed on the cable jumps exponentially which can lead to blocky video or rough sounding audio.

Now with HDMI 1.4 on the other hand you now have internet alongside the video data audio data making it an even larger load on the cable. Here's where things get kinda wonky; there aren't really any good shortcuts for making 1.4 cables yet, so I'd avoid any generics for now just to avoid headaches and buy as cheap as you can from a lace you know gets legit cables.

Like others have said, HDMI is a digital signal so it doesn't really matter what manufacturer you use as long as the cable is made well, but if you're planning on using it for an expansive home theater made up of multiple components and receivers get one of the better ones. Otherwise if it's just going to your HDTV or your receiver and then the screen you'll be just fine with a lower end cable.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Assman
24-bit

Post by Assman »

Ziggy587 wrote:I don't know, some one told me to buy $3 HDMI cables once (gave me a link) but that just doesn't sound right. I can't justify spending $90+ on Monster or something similar, but $3 is probably a really shitty cable. Forget about the connector fitting snug and the length. How about wires breaking internally? I hate that! Granted, most of the time, after the cable is plugged in, it'll just be sitting there.

It may not sound right, but I have two random no-name cables from Amazon that went for about $3 apiece and each works flawlessly.

A note on Monoprice, by the way; I know everyone likes to pimp the hell out of them around here, but I had my debit card information ripped off through their site which led to a number of fraudulent charges and (obviously) the canceling of that card. Even looking at it from the perspective of "well, I guess that's bound to happen on occasion", Monoprice apparently had enough stolen information through a certain length of time that they sent physical letters out to everyone who made purchases through their site during that period. I definitely won't use Monoprice again.
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

Both of the HDMI cables i use are super cheap cables that i got from amazon marketplace for around 4 each with shipping included.

I have used a 50 dollar cable from bet buy at a friends house. It was half the length but "shielded" it didn't seem to do anything different.

I would say never pay more then 10 dollars for a cable of nearly any variety.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I payed 25€ for the Sony Playstation branded one in November 2008 for my PS3. Thought I was ripped off when I saw other brands being sold for 10€ but then I see you guys talking about 100$ cables and feel much better about myself.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Krooner
64-bit

Post by Krooner »

The only cost £1 over here in England. I can't believe you're all paying so much for them
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Octopod wrote:What is expensive and what is cheap for HDMI cables? I bought 5 of them at $30 a pop which seemed like an average price at the time, which was less than a year ago.

I have some bad news for you, then...
http://www.overstock.com/Office-Supplies/Super-High-Resolution-HDMI-M-M-3-foot-Cable/3420699/product.html
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Imperfect Dark
16-bit

Post by Imperfect Dark »

I was in Best But today and my friend (who is an employee there) said he could get me some $99 cables for $6. They are really gouging customers with those prices. :shock: From now on I won't be spending over $20 on HDMI cables.