Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Imperfect Dark
16-bit

Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Post by Imperfect Dark »

I know people say they're all the same, but there has to be some reason that some cables cost more than others.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Post by ZeroAX »

Imperfect Dark wrote:I know people say they're all the same, but there has to be some reason that some cables cost more than others.

brand name?

EDIT

also length
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Massive consumer price gouging?
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

Imperfect Dark wrote:I know people say they're all the same, but there has to be some reason that some cables cost more than others.

Branding is the biggest reason.
There may be some merit to cables like composite, s-video, etc carrying better picture with different brands, but hdmi (among others) is a digital signal. That means the is a very black and white distinction between it working, and not working. The only way some might be better than others is the amount of a beating they can take. But really, for home use, there's no difference.
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

What is expensive and what is cheap for HDMI cables? I bought 5 of them at $30 a pop which seemed like an average price at the time, which was less than a year ago.
Imperfect Dark
16-bit

Post by Imperfect Dark »

dlmvii wrote:

Branding is the biggest reason.
There may be some merit to cables like composite, s-video, etc carrying better picture with different brands, but hdmi (among others) is a digital signal. That means the is a very black and white distinction between it working, and not working. The only way some might be better than others is the amount of a beating they can take. But really, for home use, there's no difference.

Wow. Thanks. I'm glad I have a better understanding.
Droid party
Next-Gen

Post by Droid party »

As long as the quality of the cable is ok ensuring reliable connection, there is not much that can go wrong. The only other thing to look for is which version of hdmi it is you're looking for (1.3,1.4,etc) Apart from that I can tell no difference between $10 cables and $200 cables.

I work at an electrical store and when I sell something to someone that needs hdmi I tell them to save their money and just buy a reasonable quality cheaper cable.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
Imperfect Dark
16-bit

Post by Imperfect Dark »

Octopod wrote:What is expensive and what is cheap for HDMI cables? I bought 5 of them at $30 a pop which seemed like an average price at the time, which was less than a year ago.

There is a pair of 6' cables for $13 on Best Buy's site.
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

The key to HDMI cables is to avoid major retailers like the plague. I picked up an HDMI cable off Amazon for under $5 shipped, and it works perfectly. When it comes to digital, don't ever buy brand name, you're just going to get ripped off.
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
SegaDreamscape
24-bit

Post by SegaDreamscape »

I have 2 HDMI cables, one i paid £34 for and one i got in a bundle with a ps3 stand, controller and dvd remote for £15 im using a 37" samsung lcd and i honestly cant tell the difference both look fantastic but the £34 cable is about 30cm longer.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.
- Mitch Hedberg