Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Downsides to cheap HDMI cables?

Post by AppleQueso »

Niode wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:So i guess what may matter is whether its gold or silver.

Yarp. As long as your HDMI cable is gold-plated, you're fine.

Because the gold plating makes the transfer of those 1s and 0s all the more accurate... It's a digital cable. It ain't gonna make a jot of difference whether it's coated in fucking platinum or silver. Hell it could coated in fucking unobtainium for all I care, it's still going to do the exact same job.

Seriously, this. Signal fidelity means NOTHING in a digital signal. It either works or it doesn't.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

AppleQueso wrote:
Niode wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:Yarp. As long as your HDMI cable is gold-plated, you're fine.

Because the gold plating makes the transfer of those 1s and 0s all the more accurate... It's a digital cable. It ain't gonna make a jot of difference whether it's coated in fucking platinum or silver. Hell it could coated in fucking unobtainium for all I care, it's still going to do the exact same job.

Seriously, this. Signal fidelity means NOTHING in a digital signal. It either works or it doesn't.

Actually, no.

Like I explained before in my previous post in this thread different materials can make a huge difference in the transfer rate and throughput for a cable. I've literally had the cheapo silver nickel plated ones get hot and either burn out or start melting slightly because the data transfer rate was being exceeded like crazy. Different materials and cables will be rated for more or for less in terms of content and data flow.

Think of it like Ethernet cables, all of them have the same number of pins yet 10Base-T cables will max out at 10MBps, 10/100Base-T cables will max out at 100MBps and 10/100/1000 cables max out at 1000MBps. There's a lot more going on than "It either works or it doesn't? and while plug and play may be the lay of the digital land the amount of stress and throughput a cable can take does in fact have a physical limit.

Also some cables are only rated for a single resolution or lower such as 480p max cables, 720p max cables and 1080i/p max cables, it's all written on the box and the cable itself. In addition there are some cables which aren't rated for more than just stereo or normal Dolby5.1 and regular DTS in the audio department. Using low grade or under-rated cables in applications, resolutions or audio settings exceeding their transfer rate can cause all sorts of mayhem such as cables overheating, shorts in the cable and generally play havoc with and wreck your equipment.

Anyhow, for just using your HDTV with it's built in speakers most lower end $5-$10 wal-mart cables will do more than fine for anything up to 1080i/p, normal Dolby 5.1 and regular DTS; Besides having a guarantee of it's rating for data transfer you'll also generally get a cable with a much nicer build quality for pretty cheap. It's when you start venturing into higher bandwidth applications like running a full 1080p signal with Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio and all sorts of other features like internet and BD-Live over the same wire that you can have some serious trouble when using a no name cheapo.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

I would say that's more to do with build quality than the actual material it's made out of. However, I'm not going to get into an argument over semantics.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

A gold-plated HDMI cable will not result in a clearer picture. Missing 0's and 1's doesn't result in a lack of picture fidelity - it results in chunks of missing data, which typically shows up as graphical glitches on the screen. It's not possible that a HDMI cable could cause a "fuzzy" pictures. Even if a few missing 0's and 1's could result in minute but untraceable picture imperfections, it wouldn't result in something as dramatic as "fuzziness." If it were to be dramatic at all, it would be entire blocks of picture missing or things of that vain. It doesn't result in the difference in clarity we associate between good and bad composite or s-video cables.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Over the years I always bought the dirt cheap assest (almost feel guilty kinda) hdmi cables and have not once seen a glitch or audio issue or any other issue with all four of the cables I bought. Inclusind a 10 meter cheapest azz cable I had. HDMI cables is all about prices. get the cheapest and never look back. RGB scart cables for Playstation for instance is a different matter. I had cheap ass Ps1 cable once and the sound was bad and the image was not great either. Therefore, not knowing what a great cable is I would recommend official RGB Sony PS1 or PS2 cables.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389