Who wants to marathon games you own but have never played?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

What length of marathon would you be most likely to participate in?

24 hours X 100 games (or 75 w/25 brief forum posts)
17%
12 hours X 50 games (or 38 w/ 12 brief forum posts)
17%
10 hours X 40 games (or 30 w/10 brief forum posts)
No votes
6 hours X 25 games (or 19 w/6 brief forum posts)
50%
None of the above (please state your reason in the thread!)
17%

Total votes: 6

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Who wants to marathon games you own but have never played?

Post by dsheinem »

I was recently reading an article in PSM about one of their writers who played 100 games in 24 hours (that's about ~14 minutes a game). As I read it, I thought that the idea could be an interesting experiment to finally play some of the games that I have sitting around but haven't ever played.

Looking at my shelves, I could easily come up with 100 games that I haven't ever played for more than 1 or 2 minutes (hell, I have some I have never even turned on to check that the game works). Most of them are games that I have planned to get around to at some time, games that I picked up only to complete a certain collection, etc. My intentions were good, but at this point I don't know if/when I will actually get to them.

I wonder if anyone else would be willing to try out this experiment. If a few people are interested, maybe we could pick a time (probably a day of some upcoming weekend) and try it as a group.

Instead of 100 games, it might be fun to do 75 games in 24 hours (~15 minutes a game) and then have ~10 minutes dedicated to post a few quick 1-2 sentence reviews/thoughts on the last three games you played and your general state of mind.

For example, I might play Gadget Twins (GEN), Aztec Adventure (SMS), and Glover (N64) for 15 minutes each and then spend 10 minutes to post my quick thoughts on each game in a designated thread. Everyone involved would be posting as they marathon. That way, those of you who didn't want to marathon could see what we were doing and watch our minds turn to mush...

Anyway, I think this is the kind of thing that would be more interesting if done with several other people, so let me know if you are interested. Perhaps the Friday evening into Saturday evening on Labor Day weekend would work?

EDIT: POSTED A POLL WITH DIFFERENT LENGTHS FOR THE MARATHON. READ THE POSTS BELOW FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION!
Flake

Re: Who wants to marathon games you own but have never played?

Post by Flake »

I don't have 75 games that I haven't played but I probably have at least twenty to thirty. They are the bane of my backloggery.com existence. I'd be down for this experiment.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

It sounds like fun, but the majority of my library is RPGs and the like, which would be pretty terrible to only play 15 minutes of each. I hope some people take you up on it though, it would be interesting to see what people have to say
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ah c'mon - even RPGs for 15 minutes would be interesting! I know I plan to throw a few into my mix. Why does the hero have insomnia? What is the evil threatening the world? You can often discover a lot in 15 minutes in an RPG! It might also help you figure out an order to tackle some of them later on...

Even if you don't have physical copies of 75 games, I bet some you have a list of 75 or so that you'd like to play which could be emulated. This isn't about beating games quickly or seeing how far you can get - it is about trying out a bunch of games for a long enough period of time to hopefully figure out the play mechanics and get a good feel for the game...which can often be done in 15 minutes.
AgentCupcakes
16-bit

Post by AgentCupcakes »

I would totally be up for this but i only have like 15 games i havent played but its not the number that counts
Systems: Genesis, SNES, Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP

Twitter: Agent_Cupcakes
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

this is really 24 hours of straight gaming?

or is it more like 16 hours of straight gaming because you have to eat and sleep, but we will still call it 24 for the hell of it.
if you took a shit, please put it back
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

I have a bunch of genesis games to play.
But I hate unplugging my Nes-2's rf cable and then plugging the genesis' in, so I never play it.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I might be up for it as long as it doesn't conflict with the Austin meetup the weekend of the 21st or the Shmups thing that starts after that. I think that will only leave next weekend free for me though.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

final fight cd wrote:this is really 24 hours of straight gaming?

or is it more like 16 hours of straight gaming because you have to eat and sleep, but we will still call it 24 for the hell of it.

No it's a real 24 hours. 75 games X 15 minutes + 24 posts X ~10 minutes. Leave a few minutes free for eating/going to the bathroom/etc. - a real 24 hours is what I had in mind.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I would if I had the time, but those games are still unplayed for a reason. :?
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry