Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Ever felt let down by a franchise?

by AppleQueso Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Ack wrote:I don't understand those people, AppleQueso, but then again I've played Silent Hill 3 way too much. But I believe AwesomeMonstar's previous quote shows what I meant: he likes it, just not as much. I've enjoyed every Silent Hill game I've played for one reason or another, yet I still come back to say 3 is my personal favorite when asked. It doesn't mean I dislike the rest of the series, though admittedly there are things they tried I didn't care for in certain titles. I just feel SH3 was the most enjoyable for me to play.

Going back to the original question, are there any franchises you guys have played where a single title really let you down before a return to quality in the rest of the series?

I'd have to throw the Red Faction series in as a contender there. The first game was excellent, but the second just felt sub-par to me, especially after the entertaining plot in the first. Level design didn't mesh right for me, and the limited geo-mod capabilities really annoyed me. But despite being a very different experience, Red Faction: Guerrilla has been an absolute blast for me.

Though I'm not really speaking much from experience, Devil May Cry 2 I think applies for most.
AwesomeMonstar
128-bit

by AwesomeMonstar Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:00 am

well, if you count multiple terrible games then there's always Megaman's return to glory

Resident evil would be the same in some people's opinoin, but that issues kinda split around here.
Don't that just look oh so tasty?
NES-GB-GENESIS-SNES-GBC-32X-SATURN-3DO-N64-DREAMCAST-GBA-PS2-XBOX-GAMECUBE-DS-PSP-WII-360
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:25 am

Ack wrote:Going back to the original question, are there any franchises you guys have played where a single title really let you down before a return to quality in the rest of the series?

The King of Fighters series has always been a rollercoaster ride. If I had to rate them all:
KOF'94: D
KOF'95: C
KOF'96: B
KOF'97: A
KOF'98: A
KOF'99: C
KOF2k: B
KOF2k1: D
KOF2k2: C
KOF2k3: C
KOFXI: A
KOFXII: C

They have their rough spots, but they always seem to bounce back eventually.

Another example of a dip in quality would be Mega Man X6 and X7. Although I haven't played X8 myself, I've heard many say it was much better than the two that came before it.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 am

^ Good to know that someone else enjoys KOF'97. Sometimes I get the impression I'm the only one who loves it -- I even like it more than '98.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:28 am

Sonic is amazing to me. The Sonic games peeked back in the early 90s. It's over 15 years later and people still buy Sonic games based on the reputation of those early games, even though they know full well that there has been at least a decade of crap that followed. I've never seen such devotion to any other franchise.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 am

. Monkey Island (4)
Never so disappointed in my life about a game, I tried, nothing helped, Tales brought the series back to where it should be.

. Sonic (3D titles)
They fucked sonic in his ass and have never let him get back up.

. Kings Quest (7 onwards)
After 6 the series stopped catering for the fans that made it able to go for so many years.

. Final Fantasy (X-2 onwards)
Final Fantasy is dead, Enix is holding the trigger.

. Call Of Duty (Modern Warfare 2)
The classic series was amazing, The first MW game was amazing, second one you could skip easily.

. Duke Nukem
Need I say more, after the pure awesomeness of 3D, we got a bunch of shit knock off games and no sequel.

. Leisure Suite Larry (Shit mini games)
What was once the funniest games are now the most D grade you can find.

. Samurai Showdown
Man they just messed it up, I am not the biggest fan, but some of the 3D titles are horrid.

King Of Fighters (XII)
I really love the engine, I only have one other friend who plays this game and he loves the engine, so when we get together its fun to chuck it in, however the lack of content made this one of the single worst console versions created, I was let down to say the least.

I would say Street Fighter as after III every other fighter just feels like its missing something, however I have never had friends who enjoyed SF and play it enough to be an enjoyable fight since the says of II, they wanted to bring SF back to the masses and they did that.
yomomma1
128-bit

by yomomma1 Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 am

Am I the only one here that hasn't ever felt let down by a game franchise? (Except tales, but even then, that is Namco's fault) Maybe it is because I enjoy games too much or never really got into a particular franchise.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:02 am

emwearz wrote: . Final Fantasy (X-2 onwards)
Final Fantasy is dead, Enix is holding the trigger.

FF X-2 was released in japan before the enix merger actually :P

The death of the franchise can be linked pretty much directly to the astronomical failure of The Spirits Within. Square lost a ton of money, got desperate, looked at their most popular franchise and decided to milk it for all its worth. That combined with the departure of Sakaguchi and you have a recipe for disaster.

yomomma1 wrote:Am I the only one here that hasn't ever felt let down by a game franchise? (Except tales, but even then, that is Namco's fault) Maybe it is because I enjoy games too much or never really got into a particular franchise.

Surely you've been let down by a sequel you've been anticipating, no?
ilovesega
16-bit

by ilovesega Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Story of my life..
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Namco Arcade Museum compilations. Great Arcade games that have stupid borders on side to keep the vertical monitor screen image. At least the Midway Treasure series gives an option to stretch the sides to fill the screen. I have a 4:3 HD, those Namco borders must really look like crap on the widescreen.

All the Arcade compilations that lost custom controls of DIP switches and complete individual button/direction customize option of game controllers. 2nd controller can be team played with player one in PS1 versions, Robotron for example, one player moves while other can shoot. A custom non-mod Twin Stick mode.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to General Gaming