Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Collecting Game Guides

by lisalover1 Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Does anybody here collect game strategy guides? I've recently started to do so, and it's actually interesting. I've got well over 50 guides now, and I'm trying to track down a couple rare ones [Tales of the Abyss and the Dragon Warrior GBC guides, in particular; let me know if you have any of these and are willing to sell]. I like guides, because sometimes, an online FAQ just doesn't cut it, especially without pictures. And, the guides make for good bedtime reading. I have some pretty valuable guides in my collection right now, such as Tales of Symphonia and all the Xenosaga Guides, and may get the Suikoden 2 guide soon! I haven't heard of anybody collecting guides before, so I was wondering if anyone else did so.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Re: Collecting Game Guides

by dedalusdedalus Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:04 pm

I also collect game guides. I think it's still a fairly untapped sector of the video game hobby, and a lot of people still seem to think that guides are disposable.

For me, the appeal of guides is that they're a far less time-consuming way to revisit a game that you completed and loved. In fact, I'm kind of considering buying mylar or polypropelene bags in which to store my guides--kind of a holdover impulse from my comic collecting days, I guess.

As for guides that I collect, I tend to go for RPGs and Survival Horror guides. I've also got some Working Designs guides that I think are pretty hard to find.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I used to just collect Silent Hill 3 guides...because they're dirt cheap and went for crazy
amounts on ebay.
Last edited by hashiriya1 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
64-bit

by Josh Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:48 pm

I try and collect guides and magazine, but because I amassed most of my collection before caring much about condition, most of my collection isn't that appealing to look at. The posters are ripped out, the pages are torn out, etc.

But they are very fun reads sometimes.
Collects promo gaming stuff, certain import games, hockey memorabilia, and other oddball things. (sig and avy under construction)
Pichu
128-bit

by Pichu Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I like having game guides. I buy mostly N64/GC nintendo games, and i agree that they are a fun read.
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

by Snickerd00dle Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 pm

I too recently started collecting guides, I mostly like first party Nintendo stuff, but also rpgs and other assorted things- I have some Shin Megami guides and some SNES Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World 2 guides! The older they are the better

NOTE- if you have friends that work at gamestop, they tend to "penny" out these guides and you can get them for free basically, its how I got my Mass Effect guide
Medical Dust
16-bit

by Medical Dust Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:48 pm

I do. Was thinking about creating this topic because yesterday I got the nintendo power guides for Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda OoT, and Mario Paint, for $5 each. The NP guides in general are really great because they have in house art for them. If any one ever wants to trade specifically guides, give me a PM.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

by swiftzx Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:33 am

Pichu wrote:I like having game guides. I buy mostly N64/GC nintendo games, and i agree that they are a fun read.

Same here.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:44 am

I have a nice collection of guides myself including some special ones like FF7, Metal Gear Solid, and more.

Recently I am dying (simply dying! lol) to get my hands on nice collection of the original NES Nintendo Power guides includes Ninja Gaiden, SMB 3 (my all time favorite), Final Fantasy, and others!
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:06 am

I've just started collecting some guides. But really it's gotta be a game that I love, and will play again, or often.
Return to General Gaming