Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Re: Would you open a factory sealed R8 game?

by Betamax001 Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 pm

I bought a copy of Defender for 5 bucks and it was brand new sealed (the box was a bit smooshed for being sealed for about 30 years, but i opened it. I thought it was worth it. It was a fun game and came with a lulzy comic for me to read about the Atari Force.

But you have a Smurfs game and its probably not all that great, I would probably keep it sealed and sell it unless you play it on a emu or something and find you like it.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Chris Leach wrote:The game title is Smurf's: Save the Day by Coleco for the Atari 2600...not really worth playing..I am just in the mood to open a new game and I do not want to buy a $60 ps3 game cause I know I will wish I hadn't spent that much on a game for that system...

According to the price guide on my iPhone (Video Game Trader) a complete copy alone is almost $170 - I'd imagine a sealed copy goes much higher.. Video Game Price Charts, (which provide sales data to the app I use,) only show loose cart eBay listings, here: http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/game/atari-2600/smurfs-save-the-day
(notice the spike from April - June 2010 - probably a CIB auction.)
Just sharing the info I found as a heads up for whatever you wish to do with your sealed game.

Gamerforlife wrote:
What I find interesting though, is how that experience is so different today. Most games have boring instruction manuals, many without color and Ubisoft wants to abolish instruction manuals completely. The fun experience of putting a cartridge in a console is gone too. Given how flimsy CDs and DVDs are, I'm usually just paranoid about scratches, scuffs or dust whenever I take a disc out of its case, particularly when it's something valuable like my copy of Radiant Silvergun

This is why a lot of the newer stuff I get I don't open. It just isn't as fun to open up modern day games anyway as it was with the older stuff and there's easy ways to play stuff for cheap or for free so I just put the stuff on my shelf and leave em sealed as it just looks nice to the collector in me having sealed stuff on a shelf and maybe someday they'll be worth more than I paid for them

I definitely agree with your viewpoint, even if I couldn't keep a sealed game to save my life. I bought a sealed Fantasy Zone for Game Gear for a dollar last year at a church auction and couldn't last a year; I wanted to see what the instructions looked like, (didn't have a game gear at this point.)
But I especially agree about instruction manuals and their quality today. They're a joke! Black and white manuals that look like photocopies, 5 pages, B&W in BlazBlue:Continuum Shift (vs Calamity Trigger which was a thick 20+ pages and in beautiful glossy color, no less!) And if any company should stop making manuals altogether, it's EA Sports (3-5 pages of useless instruction on how to play the game. Seriously, the warranty info is more extensive than how to play the damn game!)
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
itsmattxp
128-bit

by itsmattxp Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 pm

I am actually intrigued by the different responses that this topic has brought. Really, you would open a R8 sealed game to play the game? REALLY? I don't understand how anyone doesn't think "Lets sell the sealed game for ridiculous amounts of money and buy the game after". Sealed games command a huge amount more than their loose or CIB counterparts, and if I were you I would sell the sealed game and buy the loose cart or emulate it. If the game is in good condition sealed then get it graded and sell it for even more. I honestly think its stupid to open an rare sealed game to play it when you can spend 20 minutes putting it up for eBay or any other forum. Make it a price no one can resist, and just buy whatever goods you want with the money afterward.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:26 am

itsmattxp wrote:I don't understand how anyone doesn't think "Lets sell the sealed game for ridiculous amounts of money and buy the game after". ... Make it a price no one can resist, and just buy whatever goods you want with the money afterward.

Hatta wrote:Sell it to someone with too much money and buy an opened copy. Spend the rest on blackjack and hookers.

See, somebody already had that idea... :lol:
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:15 am

Sell it. If you want to play it, why not get a loose copy instead?

Also note that mugs are meant to be used for drinks but you don't steal one in the British Museum to drink it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
J T wrote:
Hatta wrote:Sell it to someone with too much money and buy an opened copy. Spend the rest on blackjack and hookers.

Best advice. 8)

Nono

Hookers and blow!

or

Ale and whores!

I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
itsmattxp
128-bit

by itsmattxp Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:
itsmattxp wrote:I don't understand how anyone doesn't think "Lets sell the sealed game for ridiculous amounts of money and buy the game after". ... Make it a price no one can resist, and just buy whatever goods you want with the money afterward.

See, somebody already had that idea... :lol:

Haha, I noticed some people said it but a majority said open the game. Like honestly that's like throwing away $20+ dollars.
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm

For $20, you may want to skip the hookers.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Para
128-bit

by Para Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Its very simple.
Sell or give the game to someone who will appreciate the fact that is is sealed and in mint condition. There are people out there who would pay a ton of money or just straight up genuinely appreciate a sealed game such as that one.

Its kind of selfish to ruin something that has been preserved for 30 years just because you don't give a shit. Go buy a loose cart and do something better with the sealed one.

The "its just a game, open it" argument doesn't really apply here in my opinion. The same thing can be said for anything collectible of of high value. Just because its just a game doesn't mean it should be treated any differently than something else in a similar situation.

The only decent example I can think of is; some guy found a Mercedes that used to belong to Hitler in a barn recently, and it was pretty much perfectly preserved since it was long forgotten about and protected from harsh weather. Did this guy say "Hey its just a car!" and go off-roading with it? Hell no. Its preserved now in a museum for people to appreciate it because thats where it belongs. (He also made like 18 million dollars selling it if I remember correctly)
Kind of unrelated but the same logic applies.

TLDR: Have some respect for the gaming community and give/sell it to someone who has better judgement than yourself.
BlackDS
Next-Gen

by BlackDS Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 pm

no
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
Return to General Gaming