Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Re: Would you open a factory sealed R8 game?

by dedalusdedalus Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
J T wrote:
Hatta wrote:Sell it to someone with too much money and buy an opened copy. Spend the rest on blackjack and hookers.

Best advice. 8)

Nono

Hookers and blow!

or

Ale and whores!

What about wine and women?

Who am I kidding? I'd take Thunderbird and loose women.
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 pm

lisalover1 wrote: Get a Supercharger and a cheap MP3 player, and boom! You have a poor man's flashcart. :lol:

Don't you have to modify the supercharger before it will load generic 8k games? I was going to do it to mine, but had trouble finding the chip. These days the Harmony cart is a much better option, if more expensive. It's still a bargain compared to any other flash device out there for any system besides the DS.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Chris Leach wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:
Chris Leach wrote:I have an R8 game for the Atari 2600 and I am thinking about opening the item just to open it....should you ever open a game just cause its sealed...?

If it is a game you don't want to play, leave it sealed. If you ever do want to play it on actual 2600 hardware, just get a Harmony flashcart, or do what I do: Get a Supercharger and a cheap MP3 player, and boom! You have a poor man's flashcart. :lol:

Tell me more about this poor man's flashcart?

Well, if you don't know about the Supercharger, it was a 2600 accessory that plugged into the cartridge slot, and in addition to giving the 2600 49x its original RAM, it also allowed for larger games to be stored on audio cassettes. The Supercharger had an audio cable that plugged into the headphone jack of a cassette player, which would play the games. However, it was discovered that through the use of a CD-R and a CD player, or any MP3 player that does not require file conversion, any 2600 game could be played via the Supercharger. All you need is a Supercharger, an MP3/CD player, a Mono-to-Stereo headphone jack adapter, and some Atari 2600 roms converted into .mp3 or .wav files. I made a post about it at Atari Age, and there is a link to some converted roms. Here's the link: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166635-how-to-use-supercharger-as-2600-flash-cart/
It works surprisingly well, and is a good solution for playing 2600 roms cheaply. I have my PSP hooked up to the Supercharger; all I have to do is load the .mp3 files onto the memory stick, and start playing any of them while the 2600 is on.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:22 pm

i love these threads! to play or not to play.

why would ANYBODY want to open a sealed game that is probably close to 30 years old. the fact that people can still find 30 year old factory sealed games is just awesome. and it doesn't have to be video games. if i found a factory sealed box of cereal from the 70s/80s i wouldn't want to open it.

bottom line: if you want to play it just buy a loose copy
if you took a shit, please put it back
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:38 pm

lisalover1 wrote:Well, if you don't know about the Supercharger, it was a 2600 accessory that plugged into the cartridge slot, and in addition to giving the 2600 49x its original RAM, it also allowed for larger games to be stored on audio cassettes. The Supercharger had an audio cable that plugged into the headphone jack of a cassette player, which would play the games. However, it was discovered that through the use of a CD-R and a CD player, or any MP3 player that does not require file conversion, any 2600 game could be played via the Supercharger. All you need is a Supercharger, an MP3/CD player, a Mono-to-Stereo headphone jack adapter, and some Atari 2600 roms converted into .mp3 or .wav files. I made a post about it at Atari Age, and there is a link to some converted roms. Here's the link: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166635-how-to-use-supercharger-as-2600-flash-cart/
It works surprisingly well, and is a good solution for playing 2600 roms cheaply. I have my PSP hooked up to the Supercharger; all I have to do is load the .mp3 files onto the memory stick, and start playing any of them while the 2600 is on.

On the old Supercharger Cassettes were a little slow load.
I have the Demo Kios attachment which is instantaneous.
How are the MP3 conversion files in speed and compatibility?
I assume real time audio speed as in the cassettes?

This is a great idea for a real 2600, 7800 or 5200 with 2600 adaptor.
Attachments
2600 Starpath Supercharger.jpg
2600 Starpath Supercharger.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 317 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Chris Leach
128-bit

by Chris Leach Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:Well, if you don't know about the Supercharger, it was a 2600 accessory that plugged into the cartridge slot, and in addition to giving the 2600 49x its original RAM, it also allowed for larger games to be stored on audio cassettes. The Supercharger had an audio cable that plugged into the headphone jack of a cassette player, which would play the games. However, it was discovered that through the use of a CD-R and a CD player, or any MP3 player that does not require file conversion, any 2600 game could be played via the Supercharger. All you need is a Supercharger, an MP3/CD player, a Mono-to-Stereo headphone jack adapter, and some Atari 2600 roms converted into .mp3 or .wav files. I made a post about it at Atari Age, and there is a link to some converted roms. Here's the link: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/166635-how-to-use-supercharger-as-2600-flash-cart/

On the old Supercharger Cassettes were a little slow load.
I have the Demo Kios attachment which is instantaneous.
How are the MP3 conversion files in speed and compatibility?
I assume real time audio speed as in the cassettes?

This is a great idea for a real 2600, 7800 or 5200 with 2600 adaptor.

That is one item I would not mind owning. I would trade you the R8 sealed game for the demo unit...lol!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Chris Leach wrote:That is one item I would not mind owning. I would trade you the R8 sealed game for the demo unit...lol!

A blue smurf for a rare old kios attachment, er no. Not even the Starpath. Crazy thing is a lotta my collection are Swap Meet specials. Bought two Vectrexs for 20 bucks a piece years ago.

But anyways to get back to the Topic, yes I would open any sealed game I buy. part of collecting for me is playing the game, if anything to test the waters and making sure the game works. maybe even discover that a game might be fun. I don't think the value wouldn't drop that much if you maintain packaging and everything.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:05 pm

final fight cd wrote:i love these threads! to play or not to play.

why would ANYBODY want to open a sealed game that is probably close to 30 years old. the fact that people can still find 30 year old factory sealed games is just awesome. and it doesn't have to be video games. if i found a factory sealed box of cereal from the 70s/80s i wouldn't want to open it.

bottom line: if you want to play it just buy a loose copy

That reminds of some things finngamer said about sealed games(love his videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dP1a5hW ... AXBtB4bAcA
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Doesn't this whole argument just boil down to: Money vs Personal Entertainment?

A 30+ year old sealed Atari game, Smurfs or not, is pretty rare. There are plenty of people out there with dollar signs in their eyes on eBay that would overpay its value just to resell a mint, sealed Atari game for a profit.
But, if you are the type of gamer/collector that likes to read the actual manual, play the actual cart on your actual 2600/7800, and have the actual box art among other Atari games on a shelf in your den, then it is definitely worth it to break the seal and enjoy YOUR game.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

...personally, I'd sell the sumbitch for some Nintendo and/or Sega games, procure said hookers, and make a rap video!
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Doesn't this whole argument just boil down to: Money vs Personal Entertainment?

A 30+ year old sealed Atari game, Smurfs or not, is pretty rare. There are plenty of people out there with dollar signs in their eyes on eBay that would overpay its value just to resell a mint, sealed Atari game for a profit.
But, if you are the type of gamer/collector that likes to read the actual manual, play the actual cart on your actual 2600/7800, and have the actual box art among other Atari games on a shelf in your den, then it is definitely worth it to break the seal and enjoy YOUR game.

That's the nostalgia factor I mentioned in a previous post. I would not open a sealed, rare cartridge game if I found one, but I have plenty of CIB Super Nintendo games from when I was young and it is fun to flip through the instructions or enjoy the authentic experience of putting the cartridge in the console.

What I find interesting though, is how that experience is so different today. Most games have boring instruction manuals, many without color and Ubisoft wants to abolish instruction manuals completely. The fun experience of putting a cartridge in a console is gone too. Given how flimsy CDs and DVDs are, I'm usually just paranoid about scratches, scuffs or dust whenever I take a disc out of its case, particularly when it's something valuable like my copy of Radiant Silvergun

This is why a lot of the newer stuff I get I don't open. It just isn't as fun to open up modern day games anyway as it was with the older stuff and there's easy ways to play stuff for cheap or for free so I just put the stuff on my shelf and leave em sealed as it just looks nice to the collector in me having sealed stuff on a shelf and maybe someday they'll be worth more than I paid for them
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming