Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Chris Leach
128-bit

Would you open a factory sealed R8 game?

by Chris Leach Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 pm

I have an R8 game for the Atari 2600 and I am thinking about opening the item just to open it....should you ever open a game just cause its sealed...?
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Re: Would you open a factory sealed R8 game?

by slowslow325 Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't know what that is, and I can't find anything about it, but DON'T OPEN IT!!!!!

If you have a sealed game, there's probably not too many in the world. If you open it, there's one less. Even if it's not worth anything, there should still be a couple in EXISTENCE!

If it's just a cheap 2600 game, just go out and buy a loose one, or don't play it at all. No 2600 game is THAT fun.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I think "R8" is a rarity rating, which is quite high.

Try to emulate first and see what you think. I do think plenty of 2600 games are worth opening to play, but if it is valuable you should at least try it first. If it is worth it to you, open it. If not, sell it to someone who would appreciate the sealed game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Chris Leach wrote:I have an R8 game for the Atari 2600 and I am thinking about opening the item just to open it....should you ever open a game just cause its sealed...?

if it's a game you want to play, then open it. Games are meant to be played first and foremost. I consider myself a collector -- but stopping yourself from enjoying the item that you collect = :roll: .
JordanPlayer
64-bit

by JordanPlayer Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 pm

I would keep it sealed; there are only so many sealed copies of old games and it is getting smaller each year. I would say to either try and find another copy of the game (if it is not expensive) or try and play it on an emulator. One for the shelf, one for the console :D
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Sell it to someone with too much money and buy an opened copy. Spend the rest on blackjack and hookers.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Chris Leach
128-bit

by Chris Leach Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:01 pm

The game title is Smurf's: Save the Day by Coleco for the Atari 2600...not really worth playing..I am just in the mood to open a new game and I do not want to buy a $60 ps3 game cause I know I will wish I hadn't spent that much on a game for that system...
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Unless you're going for the nostalgia experience, there's never ANY reason to open a sealed game if you're a serious collector. It's so easy to play anything with an emulator. No need to open it, unless you really want to.

Some games go for a lot of money sealed depnding on their rarity if you care about that sort of thing. Don't listen to people who tell you that silly games are meant to be played argument. As if having sealed games somehow keeps you from actually playing them. You can easily emulate it and play it that way
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Hatta wrote: Spend the rest on blackjack and hookers.

Bender wrote:Fine, I'm gonna make my own theme park! With blackjack...and hookers... In fact, forget the blackjack.

One of the best quotes of all time from one of the best shows of all time.
Last edited by RyaNtheSlayA on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Don't listen to people who tell you that silly games are meant to be played argument.

so then what are games meant for then? :roll:
Return to General Gaming