Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Droid party
Next-Gen

Re: K-Mart Selling Megadrive Hardware

by Droid party Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Oh crap. :lol: Please don't tell me that I got it the wrong way around. I have no ntsc games to test on it but all my pal games run slower. If Genesis imports run even slower again ,that makes it completely useless to me.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:49 pm

Droid party wrote:Oh crap. :lol: Please don't tell me that I got it the wrong way around. I have no ntsc games to test on it but all my pal games run slower. If Genesis imports run even slower again ,that makes it completely useless to me.

Is the display fullscreen with your MD carts? If so it is running @ 60hz and will be running 17% faster (Which is the proper speed) than if you were running it on a PAL Megadrive.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Not full screen and definatly running slower. I did a side by side comparison between this thing and my proper megadrive and the difference was very noticeable. Shudder to think what ntsc games run like on it then.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Droid party wrote:Not full screen and definatly running slower. I did a side by side comparison between this thing and my proper megadrive and the difference was very noticeable. Shudder to think what ntsc games run like on it then.

There is no difference in terms of NTSC and PAL games, the rom on the cart is the same (other than some being region locked via checking the freq). They just run slow on the PAL Hardware.

Its not running at 60hz if you are not fullscreen.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Still, none of that explains why the md clone runs so slow. I ran the thing side by side running the same game (one cart in the clone, one in original hardware) and the difference was annoyingly noticeable. If the clone was outputting 60hz it should be faster by your reckoning, yet it's slower.
Last edited by Droid party on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Droid party wrote:Still, none of that explains why the md clone runs so slow. I ran the thing side by side running the same game (one cart in the clone, one in original hardware) and the difference annoyingly noticeable. If the clone was outputting 60hz it should be faster by your reckoning, yet it's slower.

My point is the system is not running at 60hz and the hardware is obviously slow.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:23 pm

emwearz wrote:My point is the system is not running at 60hz and the hardware is obviously slow.

I guess the lesson here is, if you wanna play megadrive games you

A/ Get a Megadrive
B/ Emulate
C/ Buy sega classics pack that includes the game you want.
D/ Virtual console/xbla/psn.

I think I may stick with option A myself (with a little of the other options thrown in here and there). My MD2 is still plodding along nicely.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Droid party wrote:
emwearz wrote:My point is the system is not running at 60hz and the hardware is obviously slow.

I guess the lesson here is, if you wanna play megadrive games you

A/ Get a Megadrive
B/ Emulate

I think I may stick with option A myself (with a little of the other options thrown in here and there). My MD2 is still plodding along nicely.

Mod it for 60hz and all will be well.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:43 pm

emwearz wrote:Mod it for 60hz and all will be well.

Well, I picked up a spare model 2 a little while back that I've considered adding s-video to. Perhaps if I do that mod I should try my hand at a 60hz mod while I'm at it. Although I'd never do any of this stuff to my original console, it was the first console I ever owned and I wouldn't want to do anything like that to it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Droid party wrote:I guess the lesson here is, if you wanna play megadrive games you

A/ Get a Megadrive
B/ Emulate

Yeah, except for those last 3 options.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Return to General Gaming