K-Mart Selling Megadrive Hardware

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: K-Mart Selling Megadrive Hardware

Post by Reprise »

Wow, well what do you know, it is noticable. I always thought the borders were lame, but just thought the speed issue was exaggerated. Damn, gutted for us :(

Can I ask a question though? Is it more noticable on some games worse than others? Just wondering because basically all the youtube vids use Sonic the Hedgehog as an example and it seems to be bad on that. I always just assumed the first Sonic was slow, and didn't think that it was just because I was playing the PAL version. Sonic 2 and 3 etc don't seem to suffer from the problem so bad though that I can see...

Anyways, guess the point I was making, yeah there's a difference, but when this is all you've known and you've been playing this for years, it's kind of a non-issue. I'm used to playing my Mega Drive games slower and never had anything to compare it to.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Droid party
Next-Gen

Post by Droid party »

Ok, youtube vids showing the difference between 50/60hz have convinced me to mod my spare md2 for 60hz mode. I'll have to google myself a guide and maybe get it done this weekend.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Reprise wrote:Wow, well what do you know, it is noticable. I always thought the borders were lame, but just thought the speed issue was exaggerated. Damn, gutted for us :(

Can I ask a question though? Is it more noticable on some games worse than others? Just wondering because basically all the youtube vids use Sonic the Hedgehog as an example and it seems to be bad on that. I always just assumed the first Sonic was slow, and didn't think that it was just because I was playing the PAL version. Sonic 2 and 3 etc don't seem to suffer from the problem so bad though that I can see...

Anyways, guess the point I was making, yeah there's a difference, but when this is all you've known and you've been playing this for years, it's kind of a non-issue. I'm used to playing my Mega Drive games slower and never had anything to compare it to.

Sega didn't PAL optimize there games like Nintendo did (and it is only a small percentage that have it, like Mario Kart, etc) so all games (some may be PAL optimized but there are none that I am aware of) on the Megadrive run 17% slower. You would be amazed how many games I disliked on the Megadrive but love @ 60hz, Streets of Rage is so much better (and any 'action' game) with the extra speed. Street Fighter Turbo on PAL hardware pretty much = normal Street Fighter on a NTSC machine, its horrible. All my consoles are modded for freq.

@ Droid if you have any issues modding your console send me PM's and I can help out, its a easy mod, if worst comes to worst I can mod it for you, however remember you will need an RGB cable to get color in 60hz on a PAL machine, I dont have a scart TV so I ended up importing a Genesis (And 50/60hz modding it, as the Megadrive/Genny checks the freq as its region protection).

@ lisalover1, I meant that the Megadrive is a slow version of the Genesis which is shit.

Once you play 60hz, you will never settle for
CAv
24-bit

Post by CAv »

emwearz wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:Wow! There are K-Marts in Australia?

There are but other than name they are not related to the United States stores.

That's probably why they are still in business.
Systems: Atari 7800, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Boy Pocket (2), Game Boy Color, GBA SP (2), DS
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

i love seeing this stuff, makes me glad i picked up a Gen-Mobile