Selling DLC (A "how to" question)

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Selling DLC (A "how to" question)

Post by casterofdreams »

With this generation of consoles being hooked up to the internet for the most part, a lot of companies are offering DLC for recently released games. But if I were done playing the game that I got DLC for, how would I sell that DLC?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Selling DLC (A "how to" question)

Post by GSZX1337 »

You can't. It's tied to your account unless you got it on a disc (ie. Fallout 3's DLC).
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

You can't.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

Being able to sell it defeats the purpose of why companies are moving to digital distribution. Although I read somewhere that someone sold there Steam Account for a $1000.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Welcome to my hatred for dlc.
deathclaw
64-bit

Post by deathclaw »

corn619 wrote:Being able to sell it defeats the purpose of why companies are moving to digital distribution. Although I read somewhere that someone sold there Steam Account for a $1000.

If they found out, the account would got banned, because it is not permitted.
I've got no signature.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

deathclaw wrote:
corn619 wrote:Being able to sell it defeats the purpose of why companies are moving to digital distribution. Although I read somewhere that someone sold there Steam Account for a $1000.

And thats why digital distribution pretty much sucks. Not being able to sell something you bought is where digital distribution falls flat on its face. Now there is a place for digital distribution, small indie developers now have a cheap outlet to bring their games to the masses. While tons of these indie games are some the best the game industry has to offer, they wouldn't survive on the fierce battleground that is Walmart and Best buy's gaming shelves. I just think major releases should be released on discs with a option to lease it digitally as well.

One crappy trend I hate is micro transactions. Shit that is on the disc that has to be unlocked for a price or should have been included. Most games last generation had all these extras included as a free bonus, now they charge to unlock costumes, characters, weapons, game endings and the list goes on. Now, some of the DLC offered is well worth it, Burnout Paradise is a great example of offering great DLC. I know development costs have gone up some but its insulting to buy a game and having to pay extra to access the full content of the disc you already paided over $60.00 for.
deathclaw
64-bit

Post by deathclaw »

corn619 wrote:
deathclaw wrote:

And thats why digital distribution pretty much sucks. Not being able to sell something you bought is where digital distribution falls flat on its face. Now there is a place for digital distribution, small indie developers now have a cheap outlet to bring their games to the masses. While tons of these indie games are some the best the game industry has to offer, they wouldn't survive on the fierce battleground that is Walmart and Best buy's gaming shelves. I just think major releases should be released on discs with a option to lease it digitally as well.

One crappy trend I hate is micro transactions. Shit that is on the disc that has to be unlocked for a price or should have been included. Most games last generation had all these extras included as a free bonus, now they charge to unlock costumes, characters, weapons, game endings and the list goes on. Now, some of the DLC offered is well worth it, Burnout Paradise is a great example of offering great DLC. I know development costs have gone up some but its insulting to buy a game and having to pay extra to access the full content of the disc you already paided over $60.00 for.

I fully agree with you. But still, at least we have a choice to buy or not to buy it. And I hardly ever choose to buy it. And most of the good things get eventually released on discs - all these GOTY editions with all DLC on one disc and so on. And if it doesn't - well, I still have a lot to play, so this is no problem for me.
I've got no signature.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

corn619 wrote:And thats why digital distribution pretty much sucks. Not being able to sell something you bought is where digital distribution falls flat on its face.

Thing is, the big game companies don't WANT you to be able to resell your games. Blame Gamestop really, game companies have been really outspoken against used game sales in recent years, probably because of the kind of money Gamestop pulls from used titles.
deathclaw
64-bit

Post by deathclaw »

AppleQueso wrote:
corn619 wrote:And thats why digital distribution pretty much sucks. Not being able to sell something you bought is where digital distribution falls flat on its face.

Thing is, the big game companies don't WANT you to be able to resell your games. Blame Gamestop really, game companies have been really outspoken against used game sales in recent years, probably because of the kind of money Gamestop pulls from used titles.

Still, they will never reach the entire market. People like me or corn619 just pass most of the games that are digital only.
I've got no signature.