Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Are you the original owner of your retro systems?

by Sarge Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Most of mine were not originally mine, with a few notable exceptions.

NES: Mine, Christmas of '90. (Subsequent spares from my cousins, and two from thrift stores.)
GB: Mine, don't remember when, but it was a closeout store that's no longer open.
SNES: Garage sale.
PSX: Mine, Christmas the year they were $100.
N64: Pawn shop.
GC: Pawn shop.
PS2: Mine, Wal-Mart.
XBOX: Pre-owned, GameStop. Dead now. Current living one is mine, from Wal-Mart. Another spare from pawn shop for $5, and one from a co-worker obtained from storage unit.
Virtual Boy: Computer / gaming store, pre-owned. No longer open.
Genesis: All pre-owned. First one bought when the Dreamcast came out, from a college friend. Genesis now has sound issues, and Sega CD has grinding problems. Replaced with pawn shop model. Also have two other spare Genesis consoles from thrift stores.
32X: Two of these, one from pawn shop, other from thrift store.
Saturn: eBay purchase back in the day, other one from a gaming store.
Dreamcast: Bought from a friend, still works fine. Bought a non-working spare from thrift store, tweaked the laser. Only game it won't read is the second disc of Shenmue. Go figure.
GBA: Mine, from Wal-Mart. Also, a Game Boy Player, also from Wal-Mart.
DS: Mine, gift for Christmas. Followed up with DS Lite from salvage store, sold it and upgraded to DSi, that one is mine from GameStop.
Colecovision: Garage sale. Not even sure it works, missing the power supply.
Commodore 64: One from my uncle, the other from a thrift store.
Sega Master System: Salvation Army thrift store, for $8!
Game Gear: Mine, bought from Toys 'R' Us when they were sold by Majesco.
Neo Geo Pocket Color: Mine, bought from EBGames with a bunch of NGPC games.
3DO: Bought from a thrift store.

Geez... I think that's it.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I stopped play my PS2 for a while so my mom sent it to my little cousins (6-8) over in India. The little idiots took the PS2 which ran on 120 volts (American voltage) and plugged it in the 220 volt (rest of the worlds voltage) outlet and the rest is history. So, no I don't own my own retro consoles. :cry:

Last edited by oxymoron on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muhanad
64-bit

by muhanad Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 pm

oxymoron wrote:I stopped play my PS2 for a while so my mom sent it to my little cousins (6-8) over in India. The little idiots took the PS2 which ran on 120 volts (American voltage) and plugged it in the 220 volt (rest of the worlds voltage) and the rest is history. So, no I don't own my own retro consoles. :cry:

:lol: :lol: That must suck.

The systems that I am the original owner of are my:
N64
Gamecube
Wii
GBA SP
PS3
Last edited by muhanad on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 pm

:lol: :lol: That must suck.

It not funny. :evil: ...ok it kinda is. :lol:
GirlGamer55
64-bit

by GirlGamer55 Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Hrm...now what counts as "retro"?

To me its anything before Gamecube/PS1-2/Xbox.

In which case I own no original to me systems. Unless you count handhelds. Which I sort of do.

So...I still own my original GBP, GBC and GBA.

My systems got sold off because I upgraded to the next best system...NES>SNES>N64>PS1>PS2.

I do still own my original PS2 but that's not retro enough lol.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Hmm,

Original Owner of the following:

NES (Mario 3 pack in)
Gamecube (with the Zelda Collection Promotion)
Genesis model 2 (but bought Sega CD and 32X used, as well as a few other Genesis spares, partially because 32X's are picky about the system)
Dreamcast (Sega Smash Pack)
Game Boy Advance (original version, silver)
PSP 3000 (Dissidia pack in, although, I bought a used 1000 before that)
DS Lite (Gold w/Zelda Phantom Hourglass, also had a used DS Phat before that)

...and that's about it. all my other systems were used. Several I ALMOST bought new, but decided to wait for a deal.

I DO have my original Game Boy as well, but it's in pieces and beyond repair. I sold all my games for it (except Tetris) and had to re-buy them used later.
...just another lost soul...
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Had second hand NES and SNES systems when I was a kid. Being 22 the only consoles I have bought new were a GBC(sold it), PS2, GBA(sold it), GBA SP, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3. Not old enough to have bought any "retro" consoles new for myself by many peoples standards around here :P.
Aar1012
24-bit

by Aar1012 Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm

I am the original owner of my

- Gameboy (Red) - I remember getting it for Christmas when I was around 7 or 8. I broke my brother's original Gameboy and he still gets me hell on occasion. I'm debating buying him one and mailing it to him with a note that he has to shut up about it.
- Gameboy Advance SP - I bought the NES edition with a tax refund I got when I was about 15. I broke my original GBA and it got lost in the shuffle.
- GameCube - My dad got this for me for Christmas when I was 15 or 16. Sadly, I think the first player controller port isn't working and it has been set aside for retirement. I need to get a security bit to takeit apart and see what is going on with it.

I'm also the original owner of my Xbox 360 but that doesn't count.
Systems Owned: NES, Sega Genesis (Non-TMSS), Game Boy, Game Gear, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis (Model 2), PlayStation, N64, Sega Dreamcast, GBA SP, Xbox, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation 3, PSP, Nintendo 3DS
GirlGamer55
64-bit

by GirlGamer55 Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:43 am

Fragems wrote:Had second hand NES and SNES systems when I was a kid. Being 22 the only consoles I have bought new were a GBC(sold it), PS2, GBA(sold it), GBA SP, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3. Not old enough to have bought any "retro" consoles new for myself by many peoples standards around here :P.

22? Same age as me...I bought my N64 and GBA new....I forget about the SNES...I think I got it somewhat new?
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:30 pm

GirlGamer55 wrote:
Fragems wrote:Had second hand NES and SNES systems when I was a kid. Being 22 the only consoles I have bought new were a GBC(sold it), PS2, GBA(sold it), GBA SP, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3. Not old enough to have bought any "retro" consoles new for myself by many peoples standards around here :P.

22? Same age as me...I bought my N64 and GBA new....I forget about the SNES...I think I got it somewhat new?

Parents never really paid allowance when I was younger and we moved around to much for me to get a small time job :P. So I never really had the funds to buy a new console myself until I was around 16(2007). Did manage to buy myself a used Xbox when I was younger but that was only thanks to birthday money and a few weeks of fasting and saving up lunch money :P.

Instead of getting allowance for maintaining good grades, chores, and mowing the lawn they opted to buy me stuff. Throughout Elementary school it was Pokemon cards or on rare occasions a movie or game, but eventually it got to where they just occasionally took me to eb games, kb toys, or whereever and let me spend maybe $10 or $20 if I was lucky :P.

Completely missed out on the PS1, DC, and N64 generation :P.
Return to General Gaming