Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Yancakes
64-bit

Re: Are you the original owner of your retro systems?

by Yancakes Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm

I like this question.

Unfortunately, as I was pretty poor as a kid, in order to get a new system or game I usually had to sell off an old one. In most cases, too, even when I was a kid my systems weren't new- they were bought from a Buy and Sell, reconditioned, or bought from someone we knew.

The only system I currently own that I bought new is my GameBoy. It was the first "large" purchase I ever made with my own money that I had spent ages saving up for, got it when I was about 8. 100 dollars seemed like so much back then.

The only other systems I ever bought new, none of which I still own (though I have replaced some of them more recently) were mostly later in their lifespans. My PS1 was new when I got it, shortly after Final Fantasy 8 was released. My PS2 was new, got it for my birthday when it had been out for maybe a year and a half, but I didn't play it at all after the first month and sold it after about a year to buy a stack of PC games. I think that might actually be it, every other system I've ever owned was second hand.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Besides my 3D0, I think yes on all of them.

...wait, my Father gave me his 2600, and I bought a 5200 from this very site.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 pm

None of my consoles are originals. I had a nice collection built before ever knowing about this awesome site, and it was sold by my roommate while I was out.

So, I had to get back most of my stuff. The only games I still have from my youth are my Final Fantasy games on the ps1.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

by bryan_65 Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:42 pm

I only have my original Saturn left (Birthday in 96). My original N64 got sold by my stupid friend I let borrow it, my original Genesis and NES are gone too and the original GCN I bought had to go for warranty work and they sent me a damn purple one back. My 32x I got new got soda all in it by my brother about 15 years ago too.

What have I learned, never let any one tough my stuff ever again!!
Last edited by bryan_65 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm the original owner of eight of my ten current systems, all of which are in working order:

NES - family present from parents, 1990.
Genesis model 1 - family present from parents, 1993.
Game Boy (brick) - bought with allowance money, circa 1993.
Genesis model 2 - won from a Cheerios contest. I'm serious. My Mom is responsible for picking the winning box, though. :P
Sega Nomad - bought with every penny of an entire year's worth of allowance money, 1996.
Dreamcast - birthday present in 1999.
Nintendo DS - bought in 2007.
Sega 32X - present from good friend, circa 2008.

I was the original owner of an N64, but I wound up selling it to a friend. And I'm horrified that I honestly cannot remember how I got the Game Boy Pocket.

My husband's SNES, N64, GBSP, and XBox 360 were originally his.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:36 pm

I wasnt the original owner on a lot of the systems I've owned for the longest amount of time, so this is an awkward question. My SNES and 3DO for example I've owned for ages and ages, but they were bought second hand. I'm just gonna include them as 'original owner' because I've had them since way back when.

Original owner of my
Mega Drive (one model 2)
SNES
3DO
Nintendo 64
Gamecube
Wii
Game boy Advance SP (x1)
DS
DSi
3DS

2nd hand consoles
Master System
Mega Drive (one model 1, one model 2)
Saturn
Dreamcast
Game Gear
NES
Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Colour
Game Boy Advance SP (x2)
Pokemon Mini
Virtual Boy
PS1 (x2)
PS2 (x2)
Xbox (original)
Turbografx-16
Neo Geo Pocket Colour
CDi
Commodore 64
Amiga 500
Soldier Blue
128-bit

by Soldier Blue Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 am

Only original owner of my jungle green N64. I've had my SNES for most of its lifespan though. It was given to me in the mid 90's.

Also my Gamecube and PS2 if those are considered retro. Boxes have since been thrown out.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Croooow!
128-bit

by Croooow! Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 am

No we were poor growing up. Instead of new video game consoles we were told the floor is lava. Luckily couch cushions and pillow serve as nice, lava-proof platforms.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:53 am

The Atari 2600, 7800 and NES were all the property of my older brother and where given to me. So they have been part of the family for their entire existence.

The first systems given to me my parents (for Christmas and such) was the Sega Saturn, followed by the Dreamcast. After that point, all my systems were purchased on my own, and I have a pretty good spread.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

by Czernobog Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:06 pm

NES (Toaster) - My dad bought one new to play Zelda when he worked a graveyard shift before I was born, so it's always been in the family.

PS1 - This is the one new console I was given as a gift from my parents back when I was a kid (I recently got a used Pong system from my mother as a very surprising 24th birthday gift though!). I think it was a combined birthday/christmas gift after it dropped to about 100 bucks. It was a huge deal because that was a LOT for them to spend considering how much they struggled (although I didn't know it at the time).

GB & GBC - These were both gifts from my grandparents who loved to take us kids on road-trips after they retired.

PS3 (B/C80GB) - A new PS3 which was a HUGE gift from my girlfriend which I tried to politely say was far too much, but she insisted she needed to give me it as thanks for being there for her while her mother passed. I never thought a PS3 would be one of the most sentimental things I owned.

I believe everything else was through my own purchasing, but the only console I purchased new was my Gamecube.
Return to General Gaming