There is too much advertising in my advertisements!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

There is too much advertising in my advertisements!

Post by J T »

It annoys me that when I try to watch video game trailers on a site like gametrailers.com I have to watch a game trailer advertisement for some other game I'm not trying to preview before I can see the trailer advertisement for the game I'm trying to watch. If I'm seeking out a specific advertisement, why do I have to watch unrelated advertisements? I'm still subjecting myself to marketing either way. What's even worse is that when I finally get to the game trailer I'm trying to view, the first 40 seconds of it are little fade in animated logos from the game developer, the game publisher, the game graphics engine developer, the Nvidia trailer, and the logo for the janitor who cleans up the office where the games are developed. But, I guess those logos aren't so bad because they give me enough time to close the in-video pop-up, the regular pop, and the splash screen pop up that have all obstructed my view of the video I have been wanting to watch, but had to watch the Splinter Cell: Conviction trailer for 30th time to get to it first. Christ! I'd be more likely to watch videogame advertisements if they didn't fill them with so much advertising in them! What a screwy industry.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
AppleQueso

Re: There is too much advertising in my advertisements!

Post by AppleQueso »

well as you know the game industry doesn't make very much money so the advertising is totally necessary
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Welcome to the modern world. There is advertising EVERYWHERE now. Youtube, hulu, television, movie theaters, DVDs(you don't even get to the main menu until after you've been bombarded with previews), magazines, comic books, interenet websites with their stupid pop ups and videos, every goddam place you look someone is trying to sell you something. It's absolutely insane!

I'm surprised they haven't worked advertising into our dreams yet. This dream will continue after a brief commercial

And I absolutely HATE all those developer, publisher,etc. screens that we see when a game starts. There should be some way to skip after the first time you see them. It's such a royal pain to deal with EVERY TIME YOU START THE GAME!
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I was going to say watching a 30 second advert can be a pain in the ass but it puts money in there pockets for them to keep doing what they are doing, and since the content is free to view, watching a small advert is not going to do you much harm.

Most sites dont display ads once you sign up.
Hagane Hiryu
16-bit

Post by Hagane Hiryu »

I hate it when I'm watching an episode of something on a tv network's website and there are 3 commercials, one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one before the end, and they're all the same commercial :x . Seriously I can live with 3 advertisements per episode since that is better than what I would have to sit through if I watched it on tv but couldn't they make it 3 different commercials?

And yes I also hate ads that pop up in video, particularly when they cover subtitles.
klutz cop
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Hagane Hiryu wrote:I hate it when I'm watching an episode of something on a tv network's website and there are 3 commercials, one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one before the end, and they're all the same commercial :x . Seriously I can live with 3 advertisements per episode since that is better than what I would have to sit through if I watched it on tv but couldn't they make it 3 different commercials?

And yes I also hate ads that pop up in video, particularly when they cover subtitles.

I know exactly what you mean, watching the same commercial over and over again in the online TV shows really pisses me off.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah guys, I know what you-

DAMN IT!
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

I think that one of the worst things is when I'm watching several videos in succession from the same site and the same 30 second ad plays before each video. It's even worse when the video is only a minute or so long. Especially when it's something I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in buying. I feel bad for the companies paying for the advertisements because they pay for me to watch it 10 times when I still don't even care about it!

Also, on Gametrailers and Screwattack the video player is so messed up. I'll end up sitting a minute to view a 30 second ad because of buffering times. Then it will wait 15 seconds for my actual video. It will finally start playing. 5 seconds and then it says that the video is over. I have no choice, so I refresh. Then, CRAP, the same advertisement plays AGAIN!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

AppleQueso wrote:well as you know the game industry doesn't make very much money so the advertising is totally necessary

I know. It's just the ridiculousness of it that kills me. I'm on the site to view a game trailer, which is essentially just an advertisement. Yet to view that advertisement, I have to endure 50 other ads before I get to the one I sought out. Forced video ads before my video. In-video ad popups. Ads that immediately play after my video. Splash screen ads. Pop up ads. Banner ads at the top of the screen. Ads all along a column to the right of the screen. It's advertising madness.

It would be so much better if the site was only gametrailers with recommendations for other game trailers. Then I wouldn't mind surfing around looking at different ads. Instead, I watch maybe one or two videos and then get so frustrated with the interface and the fact that I have to watch the exact same pre-video ad before every single trailer, that I just leave. The game companies would be more likely to get more sales from me if I could just watch the ads I want to watch and not be forced to watch the Assassin's Creed II ad 50 times, which still hasn't changed my mind about not buying that game.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

I used to have this problem, but then I got Ad Blocker Plus for Firefox. Not anymore.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001