"Retro" reviews by youngsters...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: "Retro" reviews by youngsters...

Post by noiseredux »

Xonticus wrote:and sometimes you hear kids spouting crap, like saying old games take no skill, or 2D platformers cannot compare to their 3d siblings because it is "newer"

well yeah, that's just stupid baby crap.
Xonticus
128-bit

Post by Xonticus »

noiseredux wrote:
Xonticus wrote:and sometimes you hear kids spouting crap, like saying old games take no skill, or 2D platformers cannot compare to their 3d siblings because it is "newer"

well yeah, that's just stupid baby crap.

Exactly
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

The 16-bit days were not glory days. The glory days are TODAY.
puke_face

Post by puke_face »

Anayo wrote:The 16-bit days were not glory days. The glory days are TODAY.

I know, right? Tennis for two is the shit! oh wait.....
IIICCCPIII
16-bit

Post by IIICCCPIII »

Anayo wrote:The 16-bit days were not glory days. The glory days are TODAY.

I genuinely don't agree with this. When people say '07 was one of the greatest gaming years ever, i flat out don't get it. The best periods for me were the early 90s, when beat em ups and fighters and platformers were peaking, and the early 00's when GTA 3 came out.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

IIICCCPIII wrote:

When people say '07 was one of the greatest gaming years ever, i flat out don't get it.

considering the Gamecube and GBA were killed off in 2007, I'd say it was one of the worst gaming years ever.
ShadicChao
24-bit

Post by ShadicChao »

Im young AND I HATE them too. I wanna learn if a retro is good
id rather see a 20+ year old review saying he got it as present then some kid who is younger than myself saying he found it at a yard sale.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ShadicChao wrote:Im young AND I HATE them too. I wanna learn if a retro is good
id rather see a 20+ year old review saying he got it as present then some kid who is younger than myself saying he found it at a yard sale.

you trust people over 30? :shock:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:I think we're doing a lot of generalizing. Age really doesn't matter if the reviewer has done his homework and presents the info well.

And though it's easy to say all young kids have bad taste, I recently heard a kid about 8 yrs old browsing the GBA section of a Gamestop tell his dad that he couldn't decide between Ice Climber or Metroid. So there's definitely hope.

I have seen PONG when it first came out in my bowling Alley. Does that mean I would do a better review of a Retro game then someone younger who just now experienced that Retro game? No. I may be more partial to the older game, younger player may be more influenced by newer games, who knows? Who would be more wowed the very first time playing a particular Retro game? Depends on tastes just like some like RGBs, Shooters, Platformers, 3D, etc.

Boldface above is what really matters. The impartiality factor of any reviewer do weigh in the outcome of a review.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ShadicChao
24-bit

Post by ShadicChao »

noiseredux wrote:
ShadicChao wrote:Im young AND I HATE them too. I wanna learn if a retro is good

you trust people over 30? :shock:

Well i wouldnt trust myself or anyone my age so if u lived in that time ur review will seem more plausible.