Nominate Games for Expansion of SNES Hidden Gems

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Nominate Games for Expansion of SNES Hidden Gems

Post by racketboy »

So I'm working on expanding the SNES hidden gems guide
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/02/ ... -snes.html

I'm taking nominations for games that should have a full entry dedicated to them. But to nominate, you need to write at least three sentences why you think the game is special.

It doesn't have to be a game that is listed, but it shouldn't be less obscure than ones that are listed and definatly more obscure than the "obvious choices"

I'll take a look at what you guys come up with and will choose the best ones to include....

Thanks for your help!
Shin Daisuke
8-bit

Re: Nominate Games for Expansion of SNES Hidden Gems

Post by Shin Daisuke »

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse, Tiny Toon Busts Loose!, Donald in Maui Mallard?
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

I think Demon's Crest would make a good candidate. The gameplay formula is similar to Metroid, so if you're a fan of that it's definitely worth a look. The graphics and atmosphere of the game are dark, gritty, and overall top notch, and some of the boss battles are phenomenal. Additionally, the game has an excellent sound track that fits its mood perfectly. It's definitely not as good as Super Metroid, but it's a similar feeling game with an excellent new look.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Shin Daisuke wrote:Tiny Toon Busts Loose!

Yeah, Buster Busts Loose, great game.

Little Magic should definitely be added to puzzle games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvmuD67 ... re=related

I could probably come up with a few if I look through my collection. I'll post later.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I'm going to show my bias here with two games I love and own as well

The Adventures of Batman and Robin - If I summed up why it should be chosen in one sentence, I would say because it is the best 2-d Batman game period! It's also the second best Batman game behind Batman:Arkham Asylum. It perfectly captured every aspect of the Batman Animated series from the look, to the sound to even the themes of the stages which borrowed heavily from actual episodes of the show. Konami seems known more for Batman Returns but this was an even better Batman game from them. The Sega Genesis version from Sega also seems to get more recognition despite Konami's SNES version being far more faithful to both the show and to Batman's character in general. Given how often people used to say that there were never any good Batman games prior to the release of Batman Arkham Asylum, I think this game really deserves a spotlight. The animated series was highly acclaimed for being such an excellent representation of Batman and the game does it justice. It's also one of the most beautful games on the SNES capturing the look of the show perfectly and having excellent animation. It's right up there with the Sega Genesis version of Aladdin for perfectly capturing the look and feel of its license.

Wild Guns - HG101 did a great article on this and I'll quote them here, "Wild Guns tends to be a very obscure game, even among more intense SNES fans, and it hasn't been sequeled, ported, rereleased, or remade. If you aren't familiar with this you've missed out, because it's honestly among the best games for its console". I simply add that there aren't a ton of Western based video games or really good Cabal clones to my knowledge. The game also delivers in every area from graphics, music, controls and challenge. Frankly, it's just a perfect game. Personally, I can't see any best of SNES list not include this game and yet it's quite obscure
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ThrashOmen
16-bit

Post by ThrashOmen »

I feel that Metal Warriors has always been an underated game.

This game is by far my favorite game of all time on the SNES. On top of that it was made by Lucas Arts!

The graphics were amazing, the missions were bad ass, It was full of secret areas, the cinematics were gorgeous, the multiplayer you could play for HOURS, the mech design was wicked and I definetely think this game should beat out Cybernator which already has it's place in the Hidden Gems.

Mech Thrashing Multiplayer!

Also, a castlevania/contra style game called The King of Demons (Better known as majyuuou in japan) Basically your wife and daughter have been taken from you and you're out to whoop some demon ass. Wierd ass evil creatures get shot in the face constantly by you and after killing enough you can transform into different monsters. Also the sprites on your character and the enemies are very well done. Definetely an overlooked title.

And who can forget Hagane? NONE of my friends know this game. NONE! It is the most epic ninja game to ever grace 2D consoles. The graphics and animations are breathtaking. It looks like a ninja-metal slug! There are so many different moves you can learn with different combinations of buttons on top of the 5 different weapons you start out with initially. Whoever hasn't played this one but is a fan of games like ninja gaiden you are doing yourself a HUGE dishonor!

Demon's crest is an awesome game too, I agree!
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

I'd take a good look at Kirby's Dream Course. The graphics are colorful and bright, the sound is very on par for the sound chip's era, and it plays the best mini-golf you can get on any video game console, even though it's not directly advertised as a golf game. The fact that it stars Kirby characters is just icing on the cake!
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

Robotrek! I love that game!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I dont know if it counts as a "Hidden Gem" but not a lot of people seem to know about the game so....

Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shogun Magginesu (Japanese only release sequel to The Legend Of The Mystical Ninja) I picked it up and have not put it down since.

This game is Kanomi at there best, so much crazy stuff in this game, really a step up from the first in every way (there is also a 3 and 4 but have not played them) but I can tell you now number 2 is amazing. Also the game can be played without knowing any Japanese, all you need to know is the third option in the Inn saves your game.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

ThrashOmen wrote:I feel that Metal Warriors has always been an underated game.

I second this - I played Metal Warriors completely by chance, and it was amazing. Of course, the multiplayer is really what makes it great, and there can be some pretty intense matches when you play with a friend. ( I only wish it supported more than 2 players) :(