Blizzard decides to publish each user's name

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Blizzard decides to publish each user's name

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote:Speaking as someone who conducts interviews for his employer along with most of my coworkers, the mere fact you play video games (even WoW) is a non-factor in the hiring decision. Let me list out other things you wouldn't put on your resume:

Part of a bowling league
Expert fly-fisher
Amateur musician

The real thing to worry about with Google search is those drunken Facebook pictures you have up there.

A) For the stuff I didn't quote. Blizz told us when we registered that our name will not become public. It's basic stuff. Heck most forums have the option of not making your damn email public.

B) I don't know about that. First of all not all places are run the same way. Second of all I've read on kotaku that some employers avoid hiring people who play wow. they see it as an addiction. Third, I don't have drunken photo's of me on facebook, but I don't think they'd appreciate me holding a pack of condoms and some body oil either :P
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

ZeroAX wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
I guess that's why I chose to follow Captain America in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for anyone who played that game and actually knows what the heck I'm talking about

no we don't and I think we can all agree that we won't mind if you spoil the story for us.

It's based off the Civil War storyline in the comics. The governement wanted all super heroes to register their actual real identities with the government. This lead to a civil war amongst the super hero community with cap leading the anti-registration side and Iron Man leading the other.

Basically the same thing happening here with Blizzard, though without superheroes, explosions and people dying. Actually I guess this Blizzard thing is far less interesting :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
DaGamingMonkey
128-bit

Post by DaGamingMonkey »

DaGamingMonkey wrote:
And how many people are pissed off at this idea because either ? :?:
A) They ARE the douche bags trolling or acting like complete disrespectful idiots
B) They are afraid their name being associated with their WOW account will let people in the real world know just how much time they waste on the game.

Sorry, I meant that as a question.
I'm not saying these are the only people having an issue with it.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone who plays WoW responsibly. I have plenty of friends who play wow and have a life. That being said I know people who used to be good friends who have let the game destroy their social lives/careers/friendships.

If they feel it's a big enough problem that they need to hide that they play the game from society then they shouldn't bother playing the game.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I always knew those blizzies were up to no good, but who listens? :mrgreen:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

Glad I sold my account awhile ago..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

How could I have forgotten this how could I have forgotten this.

I will end this discussion once and for all.

My university class has a website and a forum. In order to register for the forum you must ask for a registration key with your name and Uni ID number.

So below every person's nick are his actual first name and last name and his Uni ID number.

Do you guys think that knowing each other's name, specially since we see each other at class, has stopped the trolling? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it.

So with an actual case study I can say this idea is stupid. And at least my Uni's forum can't be accessed by everyone (you must be a registered student, not even the professors have access to it) and there aren't any kids using it.

But with blizz's forums it will just push away good forum users and nothing else. Trolls won't mind and it remains to be seen how kids and parents react. That's if parents actually know their child is playing wow, and what dangers lurk in an online community.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

Fuck Activision. I was planning on buying Starcraft II and Diablo III but thanks to this and some other bullshit (no lan play or chat rooms in starcraft II, no worldwide play), I have changed my mind and will no longer support their company. Bring back the old Blizzard that actually made good games without ruining them.

I don't like Facebook so I don't use it. I don't like the idea of giving out all of my personal information to every single person in the world.

I have a unique first and last name, so it pretty much completely prevents me from giving Blizzard money. Please ditch Activision and go back to being awesome, Blizzard. Don't let your company continue to get worse like this. I want to give you money so please let me do it!
Last edited by Inazuma on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jrmoreno
8-bit

Post by Jrmoreno »

This scares me...what if the entire internet started doing this!