Developing team! Lets take this industry by storm!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J.Norman

Developing team! Lets take this industry by storm!

Post by J.Norman »

The name is Joshua Norman, I am senior Editor for Geekgamington.com. My passion is games and writing (hints why I'm in gaming journalism). I want to start a developing team. I have no name for the team and no one on board yet (this is my first post for the announcement for the position). I want to get as many people on board as possible. So if you love games and know something about programming and development or just want to join the team because you can provide help by way of art design or other such skills that could benefit the team please contact me also. I will say that the positions are not paid ones (yet). Hopefully after a few games we will be able to get some checks out there, but it all depends on you and your commitment to doing what you LOVE. Please do not apply for any of the positions if you don't throughly LOVE what your skill is because I find it easier to work with people who love and are dedicated to their jobs. But as for the team goes, we are going global, no stopping or slowing down. I didn't say that we were going to be the next Squire Enix or Team Ninja or any such. I don't say this because we are going to be the next us, unique and freaking just plain the best!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Developing team! Lets take this industry by storm!

Post by emwearz »

What would you offer to this team?

Are you a programmer?, game designer?, project manager?, visual artist?

Can we see your past work?, Concept designs?, etc.

Why should anyone take any interest in what you are doing? If you offer nothing why would people who can, not do it by themselves?

Not meaning to sound rude, but I am actually interested in why I (Second year Programming/Networking) or anybody else should take someone asking for a hell of a lot of work seriously with 1 post and no references to past work in the field.

-emwearz, Senior Editor, The Old Bits
J.Norman

Post by J.Norman »

Thank you for your interest, I'm actually a game scripter. The reason I am attempting to start the developing team is because i worked for one before and put a lot of time and resources into the project, in the end the guy in charge just abandoned the project and developing team as a whole.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

J.Norman wrote:Thank you for your interest, I'm actually a game scripter. The reason I am attempting to start the developing team is because i worked for one before and put a lot of time and resources into the project, in the end the guy in charge just abandoned the project and developing team as a whole.

What programming experience do you have? Give examples with links. Past projects? Give examples with links. Have you ever finished a project, can we see project plans from previous projects? Gantt charts from previous projects you have lead? Give examples with links.

Creating a game is a massive undertaking, I don't know how many people will jump on board if you don't have the ability to back it.

Also, side note: I don't know many people who like sites with 1337 speak, I would remove it from your nav bars on your site.
Mr.James
8-bit

Post by Mr.James »

I'm tuning in, this sounds like it would be worth putting time into, I don't have a resume' in the traditional since but you can find me at gamespot.com (JReefer1).
J.Norman

Post by J.Norman »

No offence my friend, I am not trying to get the cream of the crop out in life right now. I'm just looking for people who have a skill, love what they do and want some experience under their belt. To answer your question no, I don't have any experience doing what I am attempting. I would understand if you or anyone else out there doesn't get all gitty with excitement with the opportunity. Yet still, I have a vision, I am not saying every step of the way is going to be full of roses and chocolate. There are bound to be bumps, but I learn things and am willing to take a chance at it.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

J.Norman wrote:No offence my friend, I am not trying to get the cream of the crop out in life right now.

Lets take this industry by storm!

You can see the confusion.

If you are interested in making a game, I suggested Game Maker or Adventure Game Studio or something similar.

There are heaps of threads like this around the internet, which loosely translated read as "Who wants to make a game for me".
Last edited by emwearz on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.Norman

Post by J.Norman »

Thanks for you advice and i will deeply consider it. I hope you read this post before i end the topic. I Have a strong passion for games and I seem to be getting ahead of myself. I need some time to think and some more resources before i take on a endeavor such as this. I will try in the next 4 to 5 year. I will be more than financially stable to attempt this. Oh and what your you talking about the Geekgamington site? its currently in constructions mode so only admins such as myself can even see it?
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

OP, I recommend you get involved in some homebrew projects (ie. Watermelon Team) and get some experience that way. How can you lead something you have no real experience in? There are plenty of homebrew projects around that need help and will give you GREAT experience. Of of these projects have ended up on places like PSN and X-Box Live.
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17168&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Someone had a similar thread. Guess there's going to be a bidding war for the top talent on this site. :wink: