Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jungell
24-bit

Re: Ever feel you've got worse at games?

by Jungell Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:47 pm

I've never been good at games. It'd say I suck just as much now as I did before! :)
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
Replica
16-bit

by Replica Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Once I started getting laid, I got terrible at video games. When I have a dry spell, I start to get better. They seem to be inversely related.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

You know, I read an article once where the writer claimed that there is no such thing as being good at video games, because every game brings its own unique challenges. So you may kick ass at one game and completely suck at another.

When you think about, I doubt any of us are good at ALL types of games, regardless of what age we are.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:You know, I read an article once where the writer claimed that there is no such thing as being good at video games, because every game brings its own unique challenges. So you may kick ass at one game and completely suck at another.

When you think about, I doubt any of us are good at ALL types of games, regardless of what age we are.

While that is true, I've found that people who play regularly are more familiar with the ways you manipulate your avatar, as well as the ways video games convey information to you about their world. So while for each new game I have to work to get really good, I start up much higher than someone who doesn't play as much.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:59 pm

fighting games are notorious for this, or really hard classic platformers, like battletoads, will crush your self esteem
yosh
16-bit

by yosh Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:02 am

I recall beating Warioland 4 on hard when I was 5 or 6. I'm 13 now (I got stale pretty fast :x ) and I don't know how far I can get on normal. I played Warioland 4 every day when I was younger though, when you don't get the "practice time" you end up slowly getting worse.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 am

100%. I don't play like I did as a kid and even my favorite old NES games take me down fast now. Contra on one life was doable a few decades ago but now even with uuddlrlr I can't finish it anymore. :oops:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 am

You know what? Since I've bought a Gamecube and been getting back into that again, this thread applies to me even more than when I created it. Slower paced games like Zelda etc I'm fine with, but it's the games like F Zero GX and Soul Calibur 2 I'm not so good with.

I remember when Soul Calibur 2 first came out, I 100% completed it with everything unlocked in just over a week. Man, I was either obsessed with it or I was damn good at it. F Zero GX is oviously an incredibly hard game, but I seem to suck at it even more now.

Ah well, practice makes perfect.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

by GigaPepsiMan Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Somes game you do get worse at.
Metroid games: If I play them enough I can get good speedrun times but if I don't play it endlessly then i end up losing a lot of skill.

Same can be said for any other games really, mostly arcade games.
MidnightRider
32-bit

by MidnightRider Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:52 pm

If we're not talking about going back the games of the past, how exactly do we gauge if we got better or worse? Seems like video gaming in general got easier each generation.

I've always been...moderately decent, I guess. When I was a kid, I wasn't into anything else, so people that were(I.e., anyone else I knew) thought I was good.

What I could have beaten then, I can't now. As stated, it comes down to having the patience to stick with it again, and again, and again, and yet again. I don't think anyone has an inherent ability to beat challenging games. It just comes with practice, and which games you're willing to give the time to.
Return to General Gaming