Ever feel you've got worse at games?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Ever feel you've got worse at games?

Post by Reprise »

Well, like most people here, I did kind of suck as a kid at first. But I reckon I got progressively better until I reached my peak at about 16 or 17. However I feel gradually since about 18 I've steadily got worse (I'm now 21, approaching 22).

It's even more noticeable in new games I guess. I used to be really good at games, I could always pick up new games and 'adapt' to them pretty quickly. Take first-person shooters for example as well. They used to be one of my favourite genres and I got really good at them. Because the playing mechanics between FPSs were always pretty similar, I felt like I could always pick up most FPSs and instantly get a feel for them and be pretty good. However, all these Call of Duty games and other modern shooters I've tried to play I've just plain sucket at. I couldn't get much into MW2, because I was just no good at it lol.

Like KillemallCFH though, I would say it's mostly just certain types of games I've got worse at. Like I said I'm still ok with RPGs. And actually I picked up Crazy Taxi for the first time in years the other week and managed to get my best score ever just from my first go. It just seems to be certain games or certain types I've got worse at.

Also, like Flake, I used to play for hours straight when I was younger. I also would play games nearly every day. Now I hardly ever play, and if I do I also can't play for much longer than 45 minutes straight.

I guess I'm just getting old(er) now lol.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

In general I'd say I've gotten better mainly because I'm much better at concentrating on a game now. Although I just don't have the patience for rpgs anymore, and I downright suck at rts games even though I used to play them all the time.
puke_face

Post by puke_face »

I am having the same issues, but with Call of Duty. I cannot stand the fucking franchise here lately, and it doesn't seem to matter which one (world at war, modern warfare etc). When I first started playing it, I started getting really good, better than most people I know. Now, my freaking DAD can play it better than I can. I don't know what the hell happened. But at this point, I've played it so much, and dedicated so much of my time to it. ( I think the time of year has a lot to do with it for me, I tend to game a lot less in the summer months than in the winter. ) I think I just hit my peak with it, and am just totally burned out on it now. Then again, I've tried playing other games and it seems to be just gaming in general that I am getting burned out on.
env963
128-bit

Post by env963 »

Im at best very very average. I can usually beat most games I own. Its when I play COD, online that I suck. Everyone ALWAYS beats me! I have 1 time won a multiplayer battle with like 5 people. Most of the time, Im usually 3rd to 4th to the bottom. What can I say, Ive been playing games since NES, with a long break in there. Not sure if my reflexes aren't as good as before, or if the 13, 14 year old kids are just that much better then me. I dont care. Im just having a good time, and if im 3rd to the bottom.... OH WELL. At least I can say Ive been tempest 2000 on the atari jaguar.. That game was fuckin HARD!!!!

8)
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Not really, I've always sucked.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Skillwise, I think I haven't changed. However, I have a bit less patience than younger me did and I get a bit nervous or tense during tough sections of gameplay now which never happened when I was young. I was always cool as a cucumber back then. So I guess age has brought some changes
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Skill wise I have gotten better, but as a kid I had more patience, so games today I would get frustrated with and quit, as a kid I would play until I succeded. Now or days I hate having to keep doing the same level over and over again. As a kid I didn't mind until christmas when I got a new game.

A lot of you say you had more time as a kid to play games, but for me its roughly the same if not less. First you had school, then homework, then I had to eat with the family, add TV time in and outside play time in, plus I had to share the consoles with my older brother. There's really not much time for gaming left over even the weekends. Church on sunday's always had to eat togther. Saturday and during the summer/winter breaks was the only time I could really get some gaming in.

School takes up more time then work, besides of course the breaks. I went to school 35 hrs a week, bus ride to and from was about 2 hrs. Had at least 6 hrs a week worth of homework not counting projects. Don't forget those bedtimes.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

Actually, I have gotten better if anything at video games :D
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I had a schoolyard reputation for being good at videogames as a kid. I sometimes got phone calls from kids I didn't even know because they couldn't convince their parents to let them call the Nintendo Help Line and they were totally stuck on some point in Zelda or something. I made it to semifinals in my state in the Nintendo World Championships. I competed on stage with giant televisions behind me, just like in the Wizard. Later, in middleschool, me and a friend of mine dominated the local arcades at pretty much any fighting game that came out: Street Fighter II, Samurai Showdown, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, Time Killers, etc. I wasn't old enough to have a job back then and my parents wouldn't give me money to play arcade games, so I used to walk around the parking lots looking for loose change until I found a quarters worth, then I would get a quarter from the cashier at 7-11, head over to the Street Figther II cabinet and play. That one quarter was all I needed because it would usually last me several hours since there were always neighborhood kids playing all day long, so every time I beat one, there was another contender.

These days, when I play online I get turned to giblets in a matter of seconds. I'm not sure how much of it is that I'm out of practice from not having the same time to play games, how much is a loss of reflexes from getting older, or how much of it is simply opening myself up to the world stage of gamers online, but I definitely have been humbled and I don't feel that I'm anywhere near as good at games as I used to be. Every once and awhile I will still go back and beat a game like Ninja Gaiden though just to prove to myself that I haven't totally lost my touch.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Scooter
Next-Gen

Post by Scooter »

I've definitely gotten worse at games, usually concerning having slower reactions. Sucks to get old. I've somewhat changed the kind of games I play, I really try to avoid twitch games, never really enjoyed them anyway!
Ow! My small intestine!