Re: Retro Game Store Directory

Post by Easy Kids R Easy »

Could you add these two to New York?

Video Game PlusDirections
Video Game Store
Address: 2 Clark Pl, Mahopac, NY 10541, United States
Phone:+1 845-621-0397
Hours: Open today · 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Video game plus is a tiny store, but its JAMMED packed with retro goodness and even modern day stuff.

Joe Gamer LLCDirections
Video Game Rental Service
Address: 702 Freedom Plains Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603, United States
Phone:+1 845-454-0900
Hours: Open today · 11:00 am – 8:00 pm

Joe gamer has a huge selection. Just a bit over priced at times.
KayJay
24-bit

Whats your favorite local gaming store? (no chain stores)

Post by KayJay »

Thought this would be a fun question. If you guys are anything like me, I love to buy from local people, and I haven't bought retail in at least 5 months. :P Anyways, i have two stores I'd like to share:

A Pawn Shop near where i live has an amazing selection of games, from NES to 360, including stuff like boxed 32X games, Sega CD games, & 3DO games. :D I've already cleaned them out on the 3DO titles though... 8) the prices are very fair, as they usually look up Ebay, and than price them down 3 or so bucks. Most NES titles in the store are less than $5 (I got Startropics 1 & 2 for $4 & $3, respectively)

A Thrift Store that sells their games at the extraordinarily low price of 25 cents. :D They don't have that great of a selection, but at 25 cents, i usually just buy whatever they have in stock, even if it's scratched, because, It's only 25 cents! :lol:

what about you guys?
Currently Playing: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: Whats your favorite local gaming store? (no chain stores

Post by Cronozilla »

My general area has been cannibalized, the only one off store left is GameTrader, and they're virtually picked clean to the bone by other retailers.

Everyone left is eBay buy it now pricing, game outselling on amazon, non-preserving, overcharging, pieces of shit. Even Goodwill does it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well it was Book and Music Exchange which has a few locations but I just really go to two of them. I went there throughout the 00s pretty much and could always find something nice with the wide variety and good (not stupid low, but generous still) good prices. They didn't pay too much, trade as a little better, but in turn the prices on stuff was less than online/elsewhere. About 2 1/2 years ago now after getting back in town Half Price Books the chain decided to become Buy It Now/Amazon Marketplace Books finding the highest sold price online and matching or exceeding it since you didn't have to pay shipping or wait on it. It caused BME to get picked over badly for awhile, and they were forced to match them so now there are no deals in town even at their awesome store unless it's an old sticker or someone goofs. The variety is greatly diminished compared to what it was too and the lesser good stuff in is cheaper online thanks to HPB too.

They're still a favorite as they're the only one, but also because they have a really awesome selection of blu ray and CDs and the prices are really good, especially if you buy 2+ at a time as they cut the costs. Most the Gameboy(gb/gbc/gb) stuff there is around or below ebay too other than an insanely priced $250 on Shantae with sharpie name over the label so that's a plus still.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Game Dude. Super Video Game Bros.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

There is a local chain about a half-hour from me called Just Press Play. Their pricing is decent, and they have by far the best selection I've ever seen at a brick and mortar store.

The only place I regularly see TurboGrafx, PC Engine, CDi, 3DO, and Neo-Geo. (Mostly AES, some MVS)
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

There's a place in Albuquerque called Gamers Anonymous but they never, ever have anything. But hey if you want 17 copies of Cal Ripken Baseball, they're your place.

I used to frequent a place back home in MN called Level Up Games, they always had really good stuff, including repro carts. But I never was able to talk them down off their $120 asking price for Space Megaforce CIB...
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Lost Ark at Greensboro, NC. Sadly, I'm way too far away from there to go there more than once or twice a year - but yeah, great place. LGR did an episode there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTpE5mu7Tac

Always pick up an import game when I go there, seeing as it's the closest place to me that actually has import games.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Just a bump to point out this great Thread which includes actual information on store locations versus the other Threads.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Please add:

Reaction Games
3032 West Mishawaka Avenue
South Bend, IN 46615
(574) 855-4142

Ask for Lou. A true retro store dedicated to the "collector." Buys for reasonable prices and sells below Ebay. As an example - Snes Earthbound cart - $160.

So here's my story:

I just discovered this store last week. I was in the store for about one minute when I spotted a pile of AES games behind the counter - unmarked in a pile. Something they were going to put out? Something they just picked up? An AES system w/box, two sticks with good ball tops, ~13 games CIB w/ one still sealed. I scan the stack. ~8 ~$60 - $100 games and ~5 $150 - $200 games. Nothing crazy but still. AES in the wild! They said it just came in an hour before I showed up. I wasn't sure if they knew what they were dealing with.

I offered $500 cash on the spot (a wicked low ball) but I thought hey what the hell you know? I've a smirk on my face anyways. I'm testing this guy and the store. After all I've only been in the store a few minutes. There are a few other people in the store and everyone kinda looks over. This isn't the wealthy part of town. The guy behind the counter smirks back politely and says he paid out much more than $500 to the seller.

At this point we're on equal footing. These guys probably paid out a pretty fair price and knew what they had. They grab everything for me to look at and we chat for 30 minutes about Neo Geo. They ask me what games they should look for indicating the seller has more and said he'd be back. The two brothers who own the place then open up to me. We're chatting about our home arcades. The business of retro gaming. Etc.etc.

Great store. Good people. And most importantly Gamers. The brothers have a Neo MVS in their home basement just like me! An instant connection.

Please add to list and bold them.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad