Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: I really really hate MMORPGs

by AppleQueso Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:06 pm

wakeup wrote:I love multiplayer.

Pretty much anything with multiplayer functions added is good.

Eventhough MMORPG is RPG with multiplayer function added, they also changed gameplay, objectives of the game (pretty much everyone I know who plays MMORPG's objective in the game is to collect "rare" items and to be the very best, like no one ever was), eliminated the existence of a story and plot, etc. Hence, I don't like MMORPG.

I know for a fact that Final Fantasy XI at least DOES have a story and its pretty central to the gameplay.
I Feel Asleep!!
64-bit

by I Feel Asleep!! Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:18 pm

JC48573 wrote:well, I just don't love gaming in front of the computer for hours. Why do MMORPGs exist in the first place? When I buy a game, I like to to take my time. I will most likely just play 1 hour at the most and come back to it whenever I feel like it. I could come back to the game a month later if I want to (yea, I do that to almost every rpg). Can you seriously be that relaxed playing MMO?

THANK YOU! My biggest turn off with MMORPGs is that there is, simply, NO ENDING. One of the things I find most satisfying about gaming is that good feeling of BEATING a game you put so many hours into. It's really rewarding, and then you get to move on to other games or whatever else. MMORPGs are endless, and you have to play for HOURS killing grunts JUST to get anywhere near decent level-wise. Just ugh...Very little reward IMO...Plus I have an addictive personality so if I ever actually started playing one, I'd probably get hooked into that deathtrap myself... :mrgreen:
wakeup
32-bit

by wakeup Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
wakeup wrote:I love multiplayer.

Pretty much anything with multiplayer functions added is good.

Eventhough MMORPG is RPG with multiplayer function added, they also changed gameplay, objectives of the game (pretty much everyone I know who plays MMORPG's objective in the game is to collect "rare" items and to be the very best, like no one ever was), eliminated the existence of a story and plot, etc. Hence, I don't like MMORPG.

I know for a fact that Final Fantasy XI at least DOES have a story and its pretty central to the gameplay.

Oh really? I never looked into FFXI. I take that back then haha. Does the story have an ending? Cause I'm thinking MMORPG is like neverending story
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm pretty sure it does, though those expansion sets add new scenarios and whatnot

...I think.

My friend plays it, I don't, but I have sat down chatting with him while he was playing it and saw a few cut-scenes and whatnot.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:17 pm

wakeup wrote:Oh really? I never looked into FFXI. I take that back then haha. Does the story have an ending? Cause I'm thinking MMORPG is like neverending story

Aah
aah aaah, aah aah aaah, aah aah aaah.
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Yiddishpilot wrote:When I was hot and heavy into World of Warcraft I didn't spend money on other games. I payed my $15 a month and didn't bother with anything else, so in a sense WoW saved me money.

I knew someone was going to say this but I really do not believe that you are saving money at all. you are actually paying for the same game and who cares about expansions. you pay for what is worth and why the hell would I pay just to socialize when it can be free just by stepping outside and it doesn't hurt to AIM. Man, even I get bored playing the same game for awhile that's why you try out a few games to balance it out. You can also do a lot of things with 15 dollars like spending it on a table tennis class.
BlackDS
Next-Gen

by BlackDS Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:52 pm

JC48573 wrote:You can also do a lot of things with 15 dollars like spending it on a table tennis class.

uhhhh.
Or you could buy a whole bunch of chewing gum!
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 pm

BlackDS wrote:
JC48573 wrote:You can also do a lot of things with 15 dollars like spending it on a table tennis class.

uhhhh.
Or you could buy a whole bunch of chewing gum!

I'd go with the big box of candy, myself.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
IIICCCPIII
16-bit

by IIICCCPIII Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm not going to shoot them down, but I just don't get the appeal. It just seems like a bunch of side quests, and way too much stuff to learn. Plus I dunno, I like being able to.... ya know... Beat games. I like interacting with other gamers, but the MMORPG players I know IRL, i wouldn't really like to interact with the,. Just not my thing, whatever lubes your pistons.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Don't care for MMORPGS either. I don't do much multi-player gaming in general, but when I do I prefer something more action oriented. A good beat'em up or running through a Time Crisis game with a friend. Something like that. RPGs have always been something I enjoy solo. Give me something like Mass Effect or Final Fantasy and I'm happy

I do find MMORPG related material funny though, like the World of Warcraft South Park episode or The Guild comic book that Felicia Day just recently started writing
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming