I really really hate MMORPGs

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: I really really hate MMORPGs

Post by Hatta »

What draws me to RPGs is the story. One with a beginning, middle, and end, where I'm the hero. Put RPG mechanics in a world where everyone is doing the same sort of stuff and nothing really changes and it has nothing to offer anymore. What is the motivation to keep playing if you never get closer to the end?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Flake

Post by Flake »

I play games because I enjoy the opportunity to escape the world. The real world kinda sucks. People get sick, bad things happen all the time, and greed rules all. It's nice to get away from the world for a few hours here and there, go to a place where a plumber can save the day or a little blue android is all that stands between the human race and an army of comedic robots.

That said, I hate MMO's (to include RPG's) because it's inviting that same shitty world that I'd like to take a break from into my experience.

If I'm going to play a game with someone, I want them to be sitting next to me on the couch.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

let's ban MMO!
Kid Dracula
64-bit

Post by Kid Dracula »

Flake wrote:I play games because I enjoy the opportunity to escape the world. The real world kinda sucks. People get sick, bad things happen all the time, and greed rules all. It's nice to get away from the world for a few hours here and there, go to a place where a plumber can save the day or a little blue android is all that stands between the human race and an army of comedic robots.

That said, I hate MMO's (to include RPG's) because it's inviting that same shitty world that I'd like to take a break from into my experience.

If I'm going to play a game with someone, I want them to be sitting next to me on the couch.

Amen.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

WoW and EVE Online are the only two MMORPG's to get it right in my humble opinion. I don't play EVE, but the few times I've played on friends accounts, it was incredibly well built and really a great game. I enjoy WoW, mainly because it helps me keep social with some friends that have moved long distance and I find it to be a good time waster. Although it has repetitive gameplay, WoW at least provides a fairly steady stream of new content and places to explore.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Never played one, never want to.
Yiddishpilot
16-bit

Post by Yiddishpilot »

When I was hot and heavy into World of Warcraft I didn't spend money on other games. I payed my $15 a month and didn't bother with anything else, so in a sense WoW saved me money.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

my friend plays Final Fantasy XI a lot, he tried to get me to try it once but I said no thanks.

I think I might have some kind of weird anxiety about the whole idea.
(-_-)
64-bit

Post by (-_-) »

I don't particularly care for them either. I've watched people play them and it doesn't look very appealing. I also really don't like the pc interface very much at all. However, two games did catch my interest. Dungeon Fighter I made an account for and I look forward to Sword and Soul or whatever it's called. Dungeon fighter was a side scrolling beat em up mmorpg which thought was awesome, I'm just too lazy to meet other people to play with, and no one I know wants to make an account. The other is, from what I was told, a martial arts mmo with an emphasis on action instead of looting and management.
Last edited by (-_-) on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

AppleQueso wrote:my friend plays Final Fantasy XI a lot, he tried to get me to try it once but I said no thanks.

I think I might have some kind of weird anxiety about the whole idea.

I have similar anxiety. I can see from afar how addictive these games can be. They are designed to be like that because they want to keep you on a subscription service. I know I'm a game junkie. Me getting into an MMO would be like an alcoholic spending a night alone in the liquor store. It's best I just stay away.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry