I really really hate MMORPGs

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: I really really hate MMORPGs

Post by Limewater »

MrPopo wrote:
BlackDS wrote:
JC48573 wrote:You can also do a lot of things with 15 dollars like spending it on a table tennis class.

uhhhh.
Or you could buy a whole bunch of chewing gum!

I'd go with the big box of candy, myself.

Or you could get about eighteen or nineteen pounds of carrots.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Limewater wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
BlackDS wrote:uhhhh.
Or you could buy a whole bunch of chewing gum!

I'd go with the big box of candy, myself.

Or you could get about eighteen or nineteen pounds of carrots.

Why would you want to do something so foolish?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

You guys do realize that those people who are paying $15 a month to stay at home and play an MMORPG are actually saving money compared to most of us, right?

I mean, let's face it. An MMO fan will only spend the $15 a month because it is likely that that is all they play(unless it's EvE, which rewards you for not playing). That $15 will bring them however much time they spend playing the game. Perhaps they grind, raid, partake of PvP, start a war, RP, whatever. Then look at how much we spend on video games in a month. I spent $20 a week ago to purchase S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, and I've already finished the game.

$15<$20. The MMO fan paid $5 less in June and ended up with three more weeks worth of entertainment than I did.

Now let's say your MMO fan is antisocial outside of the game. So he(or she) is not going to the movie theater or renting films. They're not going out to eat constantly. They're not visiting stores or buying concert tickets, or buying drinks in bars.

They're paying $15 a month. That's, what, an hour in a bar? Two movies? A big family dinner? Only a part of the price of your average concert ticket?

You guys might bitch about paying monthly, but I've known MMO players that quit and watched their budgets shrink and their lives suddenly become more expensive.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

^then I feel sad for their girlfriends/boyfriends/friends. I seriously do.
Ack

Post by Ack »

JC48573 wrote:^then I feel sad for their girlfriends/boyfriends/friends. I seriously do.

Easy. They play with their girlfriends/boyfriends/friends. Every MMO I've gotten into in the past five years I played with friends I knew outside of the game. I've been friends with married couples that played together and seen relationships form over such games. You'd be surprised how much interaction between human beings goes on in a persistent world when multiple people realize they can't survive on their own without help. Sure beats the swill I hear in online FPS matches, or the trash talk friends have encountered at video game tournaments.

Plus, it's nice to be able to talk about a game you're playing with folks who understand while you're playing the game.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

well, i'm pretty sure some people know how to manage their times, but weren't there cases where people regret spending too much time on the MMO. It may be cheap, but that doesn't give you any reason to miss out a dinner with your wife or family just because you are in the middle of grinding.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

JC48573 wrote:well, i'm pretty sure some people know how to manage their times, but weren't there cases where people regret spending too much time on the MMO. It may be cheap, but that doesn't give you any reason to miss out a dinner with your wife or family just because you are in the middle of grinding.

You can replace "MMO" with just about any other hobby and this holds true.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

Well, it really depends on the level of pleasure you're demanding, but if we are doing it to escape reality then that's a different story. It's more like a stress reliever, while hobbies can be done in your free time.
Ack

Post by Ack »

JC48573 wrote:Well, it really depends on the level of pleasure you're demanding, but if we are doing it to escape reality then that's a different story. It's more like a stress reliever, while hobbies can be done in your free time.

People also use art, music, film, literature, and other means to escape reality. And some people allow their hobbies to slowly rule their lives, be it an MMO, video games in general, or other things. It really comes down to the person.
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

addiction can be a hell of a drug, but i rather spend my 15 on a healthier hobby like table tennis.