I really really hate MMORPGs

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JC48573
128-bit

I really really hate MMORPGs

Post by JC48573 »

well, I just don't love gaming in front of the computer for hours. Why do MMORPGs exist in the first place? When I buy a game, I like to to take my time. I will most likely just play 1 hour at the most and come back to it whenever I feel like it. I could come back to the game a month later if I want to (yea, I do that to almost every rpg). Can you seriously be that relaxed playing MMO?
Amon
16-bit

Re: I really really hate MMORPGs

Post by Amon »

I find MMO's relaxing if I do things in the game that are counter productive and basically wasting time. For instance running around and bugging the other side. Helping the other side out. Or just flying around and exploring the different areas. Anything related to progressing though I find tedious and a chore.
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

Well they did start out as the next step in computer roleplaying games. To me it did sound like an awsome idea to play an rpg where you interact with other players in a party to me that sounded like a bridge between pen and paper rpg and computer rpg.

However as it turned out the rpg part is nonexistent the character creation and customization is nonexistent. And the worst is to much emphasis on leveling up which has lead to grinding.

And in fact the best rpg's out there are the ones that don't make you feel like you have to level but rather leveling up takes second place to immersing you in the world the game puts you in.

Now that i think of it the closest i have come to getting a rpg experience out of some online play is playing on a Persistent World in Neverwinter Nights.

(i may have gone on a tangent with my own thoughts on mmorpgs oh well)
Lord_Santa
128-bit

Post by Lord_Santa »

arion wrote:Now that i think of it the closest i have come to getting a rpg experience out of some online play is playing on a Persistent World in Neverwinter Nights.

indeed
true Roleplayer's, with true motives
rather small bunch of people gathering to overcome difficult obstacles
not as much grinding, due to level-limitations, etc.

more serious tone, more serious players
no fee's
C-64 will never die
- only the players
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

Yea.

I hate them too.

I spent at least 1100 hours on runescape

...runescape.
wakeup
32-bit

Post by wakeup »

I'm proud to say that I have not spend more than 5 hours on MMORPG in my lifetime. :D
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I play too many different games so I rarely play or try an MMORPG. I have tried other MMO games in the past such as World of Warcraft but didn't want to dedicate the time and watch my backlog get longer and miss the new titles.The only MMO I played quite a bit was Final Fantasy XI. :lol:
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

arion wrote:
Now that i think of it the closest i have come to getting a rpg experience out of some online play is playing on a Persistent World in Neverwinter Nights.

Same here back when I used to play on the Narfell PW which was low magic, low level, RP required.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I find if you mix things up a little, it makes MMOs a lot more interesting, and I have a much better time if I focus on world exploration and play with friends. For instance:

Asheron's Call - My first MMO, I enjoyed exploring the world and finding new dungeons and areas that few people had found before. Wandering the wilderness was entertaining because everything was in one large world, so it was all open. I'd come across random dungeons, castles, caves, farmsteads, NPCs...good times. When Halloween rolled around and the game devs released monster masks, I took one, built a costume to look like one of the creatures, and declared myself an ambassador of my species and superhero protector of a specific town. People still remembered me several years later.

Ultima Online - I got all the equipment I wanted(black robe, skull helm, Chaos shield) and bought the biggest boat I could find. I then sailed off into the sunset.

World of Warcraft - I teamed up with a friend to hunt down Alliance players in the wilderness on a PvP server. He played Rogue, I played Fury Warrior. We'd trap players in corners, ambush them from behind structures and trees, waylay roads, slaughter higher level players, and frighten lower level folks. World PvP was the best part of that game.

EvE - I joined a group of anti-pirate mercenaries and focused on scout and rearguard duties. In long missions, I'd either be the guy in front or behind, monitoring chat logs for enemy players and warning the others about gate camps. From time to time I'd also help hunt down rival corporation members.

I really enjoy open-world MMOs that I can have fun in and do my own thing. I've said my peace about what I want in the genre multiple times, I just rarely get it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

JC48573 wrote:well, I just don't love gaming in front of the computer for hours. Why do MMORPGs exist in the first place? When I buy a game, I like to to take my time. I will most likely just play 1 hour at the most and come back to it whenever I feel like it. I could come back to the game a month later if I want to (yea, I do that to almost every rpg). Can you seriously be that relaxed playing MMO?

Exactly. Why should I pay for the game once to buy it, only to pay more every time I want to play it? I should be able to play a game whenever I want! Free MMOs alleviate this problem, but it's still an MMO.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^