Help me get into Metal Gear

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Octopod
Next-Gen

Re: Help me get into Metal Gear

Post by Octopod »

Have you ever checked out the NES games?
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

The original PS1 version was superb. MGS2 started off good, but got too crazy in the storyline over time. MGS3 is supposedly good, but I mistakenly tried to play it when I didn't have a heap of time and I got annoyed with all the effort it required to learn the camoflauge and other game mechanics just in the tutorial and so I turned it off and haven't gone back. I've been meaning to go back to give MGS3 a fair shot, but just haven't gotten to it. The NES versions were ok back in the day, but they don't hold up so well over time, except for the hilarious engrish in the first one.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

MGS, MGS3, and MGS4 are all great. I wasn't a huge fan of 2.

The PSP titles Portable Ops and Peace Walker are great, except Peace Walker is nightmarishly hard at some points unless you're playing co-op.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

If you can find it Metal Gear Solid for the PC can go up to 1024x768 resolution.

EDIT for wrong pic.
Attachments
Metal Gear PC.jpg
Metal Gear PC.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Haruspex
16-bit

Post by Haruspex »

Just play MGS 1 first and if for whatever reasons you don't like it, i don't think that you enjoy any other MGS. Although after MGS 2 the games have different game play mechanics and in MGS 3 subsistence you have a 3D camera that is not fixed.

So you might want to give MGS 3 a try as well.

But is it worth it to play only MGS 3? IMHO no. But it's your choice of course.

@JT I was in exactly the same situation as you, then a friend came to my house and saw me all the new controls and game play mechanics and with some practice i really got into to the game and i already finished 6-7 times. It's awesome, give it a try if you have the time.

Although i admit the controls are complicated at first. Especially using the circle button like an analogue button :shock:
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

PSX version of MGS is superior to the GCN version. GCN version gave Snake many of his MGS2 abilities, but all the enemies still behaved as if it was MGS1... making the game way too easy in many cases.

Plus, I found the cut-scenes in the GCN version to be way overdone and preferred the original voice-acting.

Personally, I'd say MGS3:Subsistence is the best of all of them. I'd highly recommend trying to get MGS3:Subsistence w/ the bonus disc, as the bonus disc has MG1 & 2 in English. (The MGS Collection with MGS1-3 does not include the bonus disc with MG1 & 2) Highly recommended.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Oh crap I put the wrong pic, see my previous Reply above for the right one.
The Original Metal Gear Solid PC version with VR Missions in high resolution.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

CRTGAMER wrote:
slowslow325 wrote:
benderx wrote:That Bleem advertisement is no good because you can now smooth the transition on ps3.

Uh oh! Now Bleem might go out of business!

Wasteful risky use of the limited milage before YLOD. Save the PS3 just for PS3 games.

The PS3 slim can still play ps1 disc games or just download it on PSN.

PS3 is for PS3 vg, ps2 vg, bluray movies, dvd, CD, and more. rrRRh R Hardy hard hard har har
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

Or just subconsciously you really have no interest in the game at all. My latest experience was Metroid Prime i even bought both the gamecube ones thinking i'd get into those but as it turned out both of them gathered dust for more than a year. However i did play P.N 03 a lot which was a game i bought just cause it looked kinda interesting.

Im just saying getting into games should appeal instantly or with minimal effort. If you have to make yourself play then you are playing for all the wrong reasons.
Ack

Post by Ack »

jfe2 wrote:Just to note, sorry I haven't been around lately. :( I am going through a lot of personal and medical issues right now that have been keeping me busy. Hopefully you guys will be seeing me around a bit more often now that things are starting to settle down.

Sorry to hear that jfe2, I hope you're ok. I'd been wondering where you'd been lately.

It's been a while since I play Metal Gear Solid. I beat it a long time ago, and with my current backlog of games, I've had no real reason to go back. I'll say it's worth the experience though. The plot, the character designs, the humor, there's quite a bit of meat to the game.

Truthfully I feel it gets a bit clunky at times, as I've never been truly comfortable with combat in the MGS series, but that might be just me. My preferred stealth action game involves poisoned rice balls, not nuclear warheads. But even without feeling good about fighting, I managed to get through MGS and MGS2(MGS3 is in that backlog), because once I got into the game it was compelling enough to continue, even at parts that I repeatedly died at while trying to figure out what to do next.

Also, the fight's been around for over a decade now so you probably know about it, but if you don't, DO NOT read anything about the fight with Psycho Mantis. Let it be a surprise, trust me.