Help me get into Metal Gear

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jfe2
Next-Gen

Help me get into Metal Gear

Post by jfe2 »

I've been a pretty big Konami fan for a long time, but sadly I've never given the Metal Gear games a shot. For whatever reason, I've never played much of Metal Gear Solid, so the sequels and spin-offs have never been on my radar. It could partly be due to the fact that I didn't own a PSX until the end of its life cycle, or perhaps it could have had something to do with the fact that the game always seemed a bit intimidating to me.

After playing a bunch of Castlevania this past month, I've decided to maybe give Konami's other favorite franchise a fair shot. Being a Metal Gear newb, I figured that I would check with my fellow Racketeers to see where I should start. Should I just try to get a hold of the PSX game, or is there a superior port I should start with?

Just to note, sorry I haven't been around lately. :( I am going through a lot of personal and medical issues right now that have been keeping me busy. Hopefully you guys will be seeing me around a bit more often now that things are starting to settle down.
AppleQueso

Re: Help me get into Metal Gear

Post by AppleQueso »

PSX original is what I would go with first.

The MGS Essential Collection is at walmart right now for $20, you can get that. It has 1, 2, and 3.

The gamecube remake is okay, but honestly you're better playing the original first.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Post by molotovwars »

I've only played MGS 2 and it was amazing. I tried to play MGS 1 later but it was in a car and on a PSOne so I probably didn't give it a fair chance.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I am in the same boat, I have the original but just cant get into it, I have been told Twin Snakes on the NGC is meant to be easier to get into today with its pretty graphics, voice acting and first person shooting ability, perhaps give it a shot, however it seems to cost a fair bit.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Watch this video all the way thru, kinda a great cap of the game.
I would love to get the Japanese voice version as in Shenmue 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWu5HP0JRg

PSX and PC are identical. Gamecube loses some of the music and accented voices.
Oh, and PC also has first person shooting mode and the VR missions.

If PSX graphics put you off, then Bleem it or get the PC version.
Count on not sleeping or eating or bathing for a couple days. :mrgreen:

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

That Bleem advertisement is no good because you can now smooth the transition on ps3.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

benderx wrote:That Bleem advertisement is no good because you can now smooth the transition on ps3.

Uh oh! Now Bleem might go out of business!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

slowslow325 wrote:
benderx wrote:That Bleem advertisement is no good because you can now smooth the transition on ps3.

Uh oh! Now Bleem might go out of business!

Wasteful risky use of the limited milage before YLOD. Save the PS3 just for PS3 games.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Just play it on a PS2 with texture filtering and fast loading, via component cables.

However generally speaking, graphics wont make that big of a difference, if you dont like the style of gameplay, then you wont enjoy the game.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I would honestly recommend the original. Play it for 10 minutes and you won't notice the graphics at all.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?