40 Pages at $10 or 70 Pages at $15 for Classic Gaming Pub?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

40 Pages at $10 or 70 Pages at $15 for Classic Gaming Pub?

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

OK, I finally found some time to work on my classic gaming publication/book and am torn about page length and pricing. I wanted to keep the price around $10, but the page count would be 40, but I can keep the same meager profit margin at $15 while having 70 pages. Keep in mind these are going to be 8x10 full color pages with exactly zero ads, as well as being a quarterly product.

So what's your vote, $10 for 40 pages or $15 for 70 pages?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: 40 Pages at $10 or 70 Pages at $15 for Classic Gaming Pub?

Post by CRTGAMER »

I'll go for either, 70 pages is better. Maybe post a link of the older post in your top post?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Xonticus
128-bit

Post by Xonticus »

To be honest, I think it could be either depending on the projected amount of content.

If you think you can fill 70 pages of stuff and justify 15 bucks a quarter, I'd buy it in an instant.

On another note, I'm glad to see that this is coming along! Hell, I'm pretty sure people on this site would be willing to contribute "content" like articles, fan pictures, etc to help you with any lack of content concerns that may arise and you could be the "Senior Editor" of sorts.
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

55 pages for $12.50
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

[quote="Jrecee"]55 pages for $12.50[/quote]

That's not a bad idea, but since I'm publishing via Amazon I'm trying to make sure everything I do can add up to at least $25 if someone purchases 2 items because if they do that they can get the free shipping on them from Amazon. That's the reason my book is a flat $10 instead of the industry standard $9.99.

Also, for those new to what I'm doing, here is a link to a sample on my site

http://thevgatv.com/magsamp/magsamp.html
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Definitely 70 pages for $15. I'm willing to pay a lot to get more content, if the content is good.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

[quote="lisalover1"]Definitely 70 pages for $15. I'm willing to pay a lot to get more content, if the content is good.[/quote]

I'm hoping that people think my content is good. The people that have bought my book seem to have enjoyed it, including a couple of my more critical friends who aren't gamers. I'm trying to continue that tradition with this venture as well.
baschlives
24-bit

Post by baschlives »

Xonticus wrote:To be honest, I think it could be either depending on the projected amount of content.

If you think you can fill 70 pages of stuff and justify 15 bucks a quarter, I'd buy it in an instant.

I completely agree.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

I'd also say 70 pages for $15; I'd buy a copy :D
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

onemanfilmcrew wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:Definitely 70 pages for $15. I'm willing to pay a lot to get more content, if the content is good.

I'm hoping that people think my content is good. The people that have bought my book seem to have enjoyed it, including a couple of my more critical friends who aren't gamers. I'm trying to continue that tradition with this venture as well.

You have great content, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue than it would be to normal game publication, mainly because the content you produce is filling a niche,even amongst retro gamers. Using your Master System book as an example, very few books have been written about that system, and especially in such detail. Therefore, fans of the system and even retro gamers who are casually interested in the system know that your book has the best information about it outside the internet. You have a great idea, now all you need to do is keep it alive.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^