Greatest Hits, Platinum, Best, Ultimate, Player's Choice....

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JC48573
128-bit

Greatest Hits, Platinum, Best, Ultimate, Player's Choice....

Post by JC48573 »

I understand that this is a method to advertise what gamers play or recommend and it's also a sign of a major price drop, but the way they package it makes the game unattractive and less valuable. I think ps3 games have the worst make over as greatest hits. Seriously, a red case? I wonder if the red is even harmful to the environment (with the exception of Super Mario Bros.). The label really bothers me as it partially draws my attention away from the artwork. I really don't want to see more than just the title itself and I'm sensitive to this type of of things (this is coming from a guy who studies design). So gamers, what can we do to improve them? I was thinking, why not just add a greatest hits label sticker somewhere on the game instead of going through the trouble of editing it and by all means avoid the red glossy case cause it will only make me hungry.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Re: Greatest Hits, Platinum, Best, Ultimate, Player's Choice....

Post by pepharytheworm »

I just always wondered why the disc or cart itself is also a greatest hits designed? No one is going to see that till they purchased a copy and open it up, so it can't be advertising only.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I don't care. I like budget lines. I admit that sometimes the box art could be better, though:

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

jfrost wrote:I don't care. I like budget lines. I admit that sometimes the box art could be better, though:

We heard you like games so we put a picture of a game on your game...
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

JC48573 wrote:...and less valuable.

so the nongreatest hits are more valuable!

i personally don't care. also, besides this site i don't really read anything else about current gen games. so when i go a used game store to peruse the selection it is nice to see what games people liked. if a lot of people liked a title, chances are i will like the title.

even at nonused game store - best buy, walmart - it is good for the casual gamer, parents, etc to see what people liked. it is a good way for these companies to milk even more money out of their best sellers. i have a feeling companies aren't going to change this because people think that the box art is ugly and it will make the games less valuable.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Jmenglan
64-bit

Post by Jmenglan »

The Wii has been around for almost four years now and they still don't have a greatest hits line. The fact that Twilight Princess is still fifty dollars is insane.
“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.”
-Voltaire
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

I just don't like how they sometimes make the box art so much smaller (360, ds game in earlier post). Other than that I don't really care, though I was rather surprised that on 360 it shows whether the version you have is gh or normal..
BlackDS
Next-Gen

Post by BlackDS »

JC48573 wrote: (with the exception of Super Mario Bros.).

Well super mario bros' red case is so that all the dirpy little kids can see the one good game in a white sea of shovelware :lol:
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

I'm not a big fan of different cover arts used with Greatest Hits, Player's Choice, etc. since I like the uniformity when all my games in my collection are the same and not having different spine labels but the savings are nice. However, I will pick up a game regardless of whether it's the original label or not if I have no options or price is way too high. My preference is still original label :)
Last edited by Dakinggamer87 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Dakinggamer87 wrote:I'm not a big fan of different cover arts used with Greatest Hits, Player's Choice, etc. since I like the uniformity when all my games in my collection are the same and not having different spine labels but the savings are nice. :)

I'm with you on the uniformity of spine labels, and in that case, I gather you absolutely love how Sony changed their PS3 cases too. :?
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.