RetroN 3

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jfrost
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone seen the Retron 3?

Post by jfrost »

Yes, everyone discussed it here already.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

galaxy_ranger wrote:Hi there,

Yeah, I bought one about a month ago. It's sitting on my shelf in the box, I'm not using it at all. I bought it for the Genesis games since my real Genesis doesn't work on my HD tv, as the screen keeps scrolling upwards, making the games unplayable (though I recently *potentially* found a solution to that).

Apparently the Retron 3 emulates the Genesis really well because the exact same scrolling issue I have with the Genesis happens when I play those games on the Retron 3! The Firecore displayed fine on my tv, but it has other issues.

It's not a bad system *as far as clones go*, though it doesn't play Castlevania 3. I'm in the process of getting the original systems and putting my clone systems into storage.

In my opinion there's no need to get a Retron 3.

What kind of TV do you have? PAL or NTSC Game/TV? Try different video cables, both S-Video and composite?

jfrost wrote:Yes, everyone discussed it here already.

Not very helpful.

Here is the other thread for more info.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=263599#p263599
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

galaxy_ranger
8-bit

Post by galaxy_ranger »

Hi CRTGAMER,

Everything is NTSC. Genesis works fine on other tvs, just not this one. My tv handles s-video, component, and has a few HD slots. N64, SNES, Dreamcast, Retro Duo, Firecore all work fine on the tv (and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to add PS1 to that list). I tried the RF adapter and composite to connect the Genesis, with the same results both times. I had a post on this a while back:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20573&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I was still asking around everywhere and someone suggested I get a Genesis scart cable, plug that into a scart-to-HD converter, then plug that into one of my HD slots. A guy on I think xboxlive tried that out and the graphics were significantly improved. He didn't have my vertical scrolling display problem so I don't know for sure if that will be fixed if I try this setup. Do you think that's worthwhile?
Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Super Gameboy adapter, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis model 1, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo DS Lite
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

galaxy_ranger, okay now I remember the older post. Did you try a VCR tuner route? Used on the cheap at Thrift stores. Not the best signal but just to see if it would kill the rolls? Genesis or Retron RF out to VCR, then Composite from VCR to TV. This will force usage of VCR tuner as a medium.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Capcomwarrior
24-bit

Re: RetroN 3

Post by Capcomwarrior »

panzeroceania wrote:I have a famicom that runs just fine without fail.

Also the NES/famicom didn't output RGB, you have to do an extensive mod to get that, but I'd say there is certainly an improvement over S-Video, the resolution is irrelevant. And for the Super Nintendo and the Genesis it certainly matters. Not to mention the neither the genesis nor the Super Nintendo audio will sound quite right.

I agree. I thought I remembered seeing comparison pics of 8 bit and below games showing the improvements from an rgb mod... even at the lowes resolutions.

At the same time, I can't help but at least acknowledge what CRT is saying... just based on the depth of his research.
galaxy_ranger
8-bit

Post by galaxy_ranger »

CRTGamer,

Hell, completely forgot about that method. I obtained a VCR right after, but the VCR didn't work (I think it was broken), and forgot about getting another one before hearing of this scart method. I'll try to borrow a VCR from someone, as it'd be good to know if this works. I'd have a preference for the scart method if I have to put any money into this.

Here's the link to a guy hooking up his Genesis to a scart-to-HD adapter. The difference looks impressive:
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=12939480

Thanks for reminding me about the VCR, I'll post the results when I obtain one
Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Super Gameboy adapter, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis model 1, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo DS Lite
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

jfrost wrote:Yes, everyone discussed it here already.

Merged and moved.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.