Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten: 2010

by Gamerforlife Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Ratchet & Clank:Crack in Time-I feel like the series is starting to lose its charm with this one. Crappy arena fights, FAR too much Clank and not enough Ratchet(god I got so sick of those LAME Great Clock stages), lack of enemy variety...but damn Captain Quark is funnier than ever. Give him his own game already. Clank is f**ing boring!

Ratchet & Clank:Quest for Booty-Fun and funny, but ultimately pointless. It's R&C Light and not a must play for fans by any stretch of the imagination

Valkryia Chronicles-Great story, visuals, sound, etc. crappy/contrived gameplay and ridiculous load times.

Working on Dragon Age:Origins
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Gals Fighters: Surprisingly brilliant. I wasn't expecting much from an 8 bit, 2 button fighter, especially as I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this has quickly become my favourite NGPC game. Its fast, fluent, all of the characters have a nice variety of attacks and an encouragingly large variety of special moves. The difficulty level isnt fantastic (I beat it on the hardest difficulty on my first attempt at that difficulty with no continues), but when you're having this much fun it doesn't matter. I heard some people were disappointed with the character list (11, Of which 3 are unlockable), but Ididnt have an issue with it.

Puzzle Link - This was a fun enough NGPC game, but nothing special. The difficulty can spike in odd places, but overall, its not too hard. The game is nice and quick, and offers some tense moments, but the main level based mode goes on for WAAAAAYYYY too long. By stage 5 I was getting bored, but i Had no option but to continue (each stage consists of 5 levels, except for stage 8, which has 6), as there are no saves, temporary or otherwise, and no option to choose to start from a later level. An OK puzzler.

Puzzle Bobble Mini- It's puzzle bobble. Theres not much more to it. The 99 missions had me addicted, but it's not the best puzzle game I've played, nor the worst. I have some niggles with the speed of the arrow cursor, but i'm not sure whether its any faster in the other games anyway. OK, but I preferred Puzzle Link.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure- An interesting remix of Sonic 2. It looks great, plays quite fast with little to no blur, and doesn't suffer from being zoomed in to close like the game gear sonic games. The difficulty is pretty easy, and the game is quite short, but it's enjoyable enough, despite being nothing special. Theres supposed replayability in collecting the emeralds (via a fantastic recreation of the sonic 2 bonus stages, strangely accessed in the manner of the sonic 1 giant ring) and collecting jigsaw pieces hidden in the levels, but i'm skeptical how much enjoyment can be garnered from slowly exploring end to end each level looking for the 15 hidden pieces, especially with a 10 minute time limit to contend with too.

I must say I'm enjoying my NGPC, but i'm not too excited about the other 3 games in my collection right now. Card fighters just seems to basic to me, maybe it'll grow on me. Faselei is OK, but running out of Ammo constantly is just frustrating, especially with seemingly no way to replenish in the levels. My other title is Neo Geo Cup '98 + which the less said about it the better. It has an interesting take on the genre, with purchasable upgrades for players and some sort of RPG style stat system, but the actual football is awful, which kinda defeats the point.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 pm

alienjesus wrote:Gals Fighters: Surprisingly brilliant. I wasn't expecting much from an 8 bit, 2 button fighter, especially as I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this has quickly become my favourite NGPC game. Its fast, fluent, all of the characters have a nice variety of attacks and an encouragingly large variety of special moves. The difficulty level isnt fantastic (I beat it on the hardest difficulty on my first attempt at that difficulty with no continues), but when you're having this much fun it doesn't matter. I heard some people were disappointed with the character list (11, Of which 3 are unlockable), but Ididnt have an issue with it.

Puzzle Link - This was a fun enough NGPC game, but nothing special. The difficulty can spike in odd places, but overall, its not too hard. The game is nice and quick, and offers some tense moments, but the main level based mode goes on for WAAAAAYYYY too long. By stage 5 I was getting bored, but i Had no option but to continue (each stage consists of 5 levels, except for stage 8, which has 6), as there are no saves, temporary or otherwise, and no option to choose to start from a later level. An OK puzzler.

Puzzle Bobble Mini- It's puzzle bobble. Theres not much more to it. The 99 missions had me addicted, but it's not the best puzzle game I've played, nor the worst. I have some niggles with the speed of the arrow cursor, but i'm not sure whether its any faster in the other games anyway. OK, but I preferred Puzzle Link.

Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure- An interesting remix of Sonic 2. It looks great, plays quite fast with little to no blur, and doesn't suffer from being zoomed in to close like the game gear sonic games. The difficulty is pretty easy, and the game is quite short, but it's enjoyable enough, despite being nothing special. Theres supposed replayability in collecting the emeralds (via a fantastic recreation of the sonic 2 bonus stages, strangely accessed in the manner of the sonic 1 giant ring) and collecting jigsaw pieces hidden in the levels, but i'm skeptical how much enjoyment can be garnered from slowly exploring end to end each level looking for the 15 hidden pieces, especially with a 10 minute time limit to contend with too.

I must say I'm enjoying my NGPC, but i'm not too excited about the other 3 games in my collection right now. Card fighters just seems to basic to me, maybe it'll grow on me. Faselei is OK, but running out of Ammo constantly is just frustrating, especially with seemingly no way to replenish in the levels. My other title is Neo Geo Cup '98 + which the less said about it the better. It has an interesting take on the genre, with purchasable upgrades for players and some sort of RPG style stat system, but the actual football is awful, which kinda defeats the point.

I just ordered a new in the box Neo Geo Pocket Color, and I'm basically just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Thanks for posting your thoughts on those games! I've been trying to decide on what to get for it, so any input helps out.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 pm

jfe2 wrote:I just ordered a new in the box Neo Geo Pocket Color, and I'm basically just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Thanks for posting your thoughts on those games! I've been trying to decide on what to get for it, so any input helps out.

No problem. Be on the lookout for the the bundles of neo geo games that go unboxed for cheap if you don't mind not having the cases. They're legit leftover stock SNK sold off for cheap a few years after the neogeo pocket died. I got Gals fighters, puzzle link, faselei and sonic the hedgehog in one of them for about £17, it was a great deal.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 pm

alienjesus wrote:
jfe2 wrote:I just ordered a new in the box Neo Geo Pocket Color, and I'm basically just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Thanks for posting your thoughts on those games! I've been trying to decide on what to get for it, so any input helps out.

No problem. Be on the lookout for the the bundles of neo geo games that go unboxed for cheap if you don't mind not having the cases. They're legit leftover stock SNK sold off for cheap a few years after the neogeo pocket died. I got Gals fighters, puzzle link, faselei and sonic the hedgehog in one of them for about £17, it was a great deal.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to look for something like that soon.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 am

GHOSTBUSTERS the Video Game 360
Super Mario Bros. NES
Contra Rebirth WiiWare
Tetris Gameboy
Star Wars Force Unleashed *new* 360

I beat Force on the PS2 last year, and I can say that the 360 version looks leaps and bounds better, but has a lot more glitches.
NintendoRobot
16-bit

by NintendoRobot Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Conduit- It was honestly a very dissapoint game from what I expected, no wonder Sega wants to pull the plug on helping out the Wii

2600 Jr. - NES - SNES(x2) - Nintendo 64(x3) - Gamecube(x2) - Wii - Sega Genesis (Model 2) - PSOne (Model 1) - PS2 Slim - Game Boy - Game Boy Pocket - Game Boy Color - GBA(x2) - GBA SP(x2) - DS - DSLite - PC
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:07 pm

NintendoRobot wrote:MadWorld-I dont think ill ever play anything so gory yet awesome on the Wii again, has to be one of the best (action?) games ever

Ugh. I played this game for 3-4 hours and then sold it. A+ for the artwork, C- for the gameplay, F for the sound.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:15 am

GHOSTBUSTERS the Video Game 360
Super Mario Bros. NES
Contra Rebirth WiiWare
Tetris Gameboy
Star Wars Force Unleashed 360
Street Fighter II T.E *new* 360 arcade

I'm a huge SF II nut, so I had to get it when I saw it on xbox arcade.

I'm sort of a SFII purist, so once again it threw me off when Chun-Li started throwing fireballs. The biggest problem for me was that in SFII, Ryu's jumping weak kick would always counter Guile's flash kick. Not in T.E, and before I was going to play online, I wanted to get a better feel for the game. Well, it turns out that Ryu's spinning kick is very effective against the computer A.I.

So I turned up the difficulty to 7 stars, played for a few hours, and finally beat it without losing a match, but did lose a few fights. What was odd to me was that Bison and Sagat were creme-puffs. With Bison I just kept jumping straight up with strong kicks, threw in a few hadokens, and he was toast. I was able to corner Sagat and defeated him with almost perfect vitality both fights.

That all said, I played against A.I., not real competitors. My fighting with Ryu/Ken is back to being solid, but I still need work on the other characters.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Luke wrote:I'm sort of a SFII purist, so once again it threw me off when Chun-Li started throwing fireballs.

The majority of my SF2 time has been with SF2T on my SNES. So I was always used to Chun-Li's Kikoken, which also made her usble for me, as I despise charge moves. Man, the SF2T Kikoken was such a cheaply made move. It used her fierce punch animation and added a small projectile, while she goes "Ya!" Way to barely create any assets, Capcom.

Then they decided that the Kikoken should be a charge move. And that's when I switched to Cammy.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming