Is Gamestop Evil? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Is Gamestop Evil? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Post by Ziggy »

The closest GameStop to my house has a LARGE floor space but they had their disc only PS2 bin anyway.
Metal Militia
128-bit

Post by Metal Militia »

So I have a 20% off coupon for any preowned game at gamestop and I knew the one game I've been wanting to get since it was released and that game is...Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.

So I look at the store locater online and I see only one gamestop by me has it in stock, so I'm thinking this was fate. I'm so excited I'm singing in my head "Our God is an Awesome God he reigns)" :lol: Can't wait to play one of my favorite FPS's of all time in HD with Co-op online!

I call them and no answer. I call them two more times still no answer, so I just say fuck it I'll just drive there. I get there and I ask them if they have Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary used. They say they have it and they find the disk, but can't locate the case anywhere. They look for 10 minutes, but still no luck. They ask me if I still want it without the box and I say no. So I leave empty handed. I was pretty upset

No Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for me yet :cry:
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

PS2 games are already dirt cheap. They basically rendered them worthless by trashing the cases. How do they expect to sell these? I would think that the customers who don't care about disc-only are no longer buying PS2 games.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Inazuma wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I think what he's saying is that instead of spending 114 pages bitching about Gamestop, we could probably just, you know, stop buying from there.

I do both. I haven't shopped at Gamestop for years but I will always bitch about them. I will bitch about them until they go out of business.

It's important to bitch about Gamestop. It helps educate others. There is a chance that someone will read our complaints and decide to stop shopping there themselves. If you love video games, you would never shop at Gamestop.

I admit walking in there, but I've yet to buy anything. However, the retro game store by my house, Game Champ, receives much of my business. Cheap XBOX games ftw. Oh, and to make the discussion lively, for MW3, they had a huge line for midnight release, while Game Stop here didn't offer it until the next morning. The place definitely has the local kids on their side.

I thought it was promising that a local retro store near me had 60-75 people in it at midnight for MW3 (I heard this story when i was there the next day). The following day, people were coming in for Skyrim while I was sifting through Master System games and they easily sold out of their stock.

I did find it odd that people turned away didn't know where to go (there's a mall 10 minutes away and every Target had it) and get a copy. I guess they had a lot of loyal customers.
equalsign
Next-Gen

Post by equalsign »

Wow. I've done some criticizing and some defending of Gamestop in my time, but I never saw this coming:

http://kotaku.com/5862094/eb-gamesgames ... es-section

This is the worst idea....
Looking for Animal Crossing e Reader cards! - link
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

equalsign wrote:Wow. I've done some criticizing and some defending of Gamestop in my time, but I never saw this coming:

Eh, it's only in Canada, they don't count.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

equalsign wrote:Wow. I've done some criticizing and some defending of Gamestop in my time, but I never saw this coming:

Holy fucking crap.

Okey, Gamestop is oficially evil.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

General_Norris wrote:

Holy fucking crap.Okay, Gamestop is oficially evil.

I think this is a misinterpretation of the older yellow price tags going away. All the tags are now white and also went larger for used games to reflect Power Awards prices.

This is just a push to sell the used copy over a new copy.

kotaku wrote: http://kotaku.com/5862094/eb-gamesgames ... es-section

An employee of Canada's EB Games (read: GameStop) has let us know that, in one of the company's shittier moves in recent years, the distinction between "new" and "used" games (at least in Canada) is apparently going to be all but removed.

Instead, according to internal documentation forwarded to Kotaku, all games will be lumped into the one section, and all games will be stickered with the same white price tags (pre-owned games previously had their own distinctive yellow stickers in Canada, something I understand US stores did away with a while back).

I can confirm this 100% we were given instructions last week to start this. We were told that we were to merge all used games with the new games and have them sectioned off by one of four specific genres they gave us. They told us that the new copy must be on the very bottom of the pile and the used ones stacked on top and that we were to change
all price stickers to the white ones. They also instructed us to discard all materials advertising used games. Now the stickers do have the words NEW or USED on them but no one looks at that.

I noticed a couple of Gamestops here have compiled all the PS2 games together New and Used mixed on one shelf. The New games have a NEW TAG and the Used games have the larger USED POWER REWARDS TAG.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

General_Norris wrote:

Holy fucking crap.

Okey, Gamestop is oficially evil.

what's the big fuss? So they might put the used games on the same shelves as the new games. Why is that the end of the world?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Basically, Gamestop is hoping to trick customers into buying used copies instead of new ones, even if they might not have actually intended to.

You don't see anything sleazy about things like hiding new copies BEHIND used ones as a policy?