Is Gamestop Evil? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
yomomma1
128-bit

Re: Gamestop is evil

Post by yomomma1 »

Repo man... by your description, by any chance do you live in siberian arctic?
lost_within
Next-Gen

Post by lost_within »

I feel like I should offer you a paddle for that shit your swimming in.
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

yomomma1 wrote:Repo man... by your description, by any chance do you live in siberian arctic?

I'm assuming he lives in the boondocks. Where I lived for about the first two decades of my life.

It was fun, having to spend about an hour just driving to school every day.
ieatramen
24-bit

Post by ieatramen »

I don't mind them so much, but maybe that's because i got my copy of Ico from them for $8. 8)
If i ever want a game immediately then i go to them. They tend to have decent stock -especially compared to wally world and target. Craigslist has been my savior when it comes to clearing out games i don't want anymore. Gamestop's trade in system is for lazy people, moms, and little kids.

Besides if you really hate them that much just "rent" from them. I wouldn't do it, but maybe it would ease your hatred a little if you bought a used game, played it for a week, returned it, and then repeated that a few times.
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

ieatramen wrote:I don't mind them so much, but maybe that's because i got my copy of Ico from them for $8. 8)
If i ever want a game immediately then i go to them. They tend to have decent stock -especially compared to wally world and target. Craigslist has been my savior when it comes to clearing out games i don't want anymore. Gamestop's trade in system is for lazy people, moms, and little kids.

Besides if you really hate them that much just "rent" from them. I wouldn't do it, but maybe it would ease your hatred a little if you bought a used game, played it for a week, returned it, and then repeated that a few times.

Yea uh... I kind of can't got to my east side store because of doing that.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I don't like GameStop, their prices generally suck, they only carry seventh generation games with a generally dwindling collection of PS2 games. Hell, the PC games rack is half full of Wii accessories. The trade-ins aren't worth a damn and I'm tired of some High-School dropout asking me if I have games to trade-in. The resealed games thing is bullshit, too. GameStop isn't evil, though. GameStop is a corporation. Corporations do whatever it takes to make money (even if they have to break the law sometimes).

The only times that I go to GameStop is when a new game comes out that I don't want wait for shipping (most of the time, I go to Best Buy) and when they have those Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales. For those that say "Be thankful." I have this to say:
Hippo shit

There's this thing called the Internet. You can buy new games on sites like gogamer.com and there's eBay for retro games. There's also forums for the trading/selling of video games (like this one) and CheapAssGamer for deals. Hell, you can just go to Best Buy or other B&M stores, it's not like GameStop is the only place that sells games.

CAv wrote:Gamestop moves in, kills the small stores, then phases out all retro games. Now they're pushing exclusive preorder downloadable content. Gamestop is the Evil Empire.

People said the same thing about Wal*Mart and Star Bucks. Frankly, if the small Mom and Pop shops can't compete, good riddance.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

Post by Snickerd00dle »

i thought the hate for gamestop was established in the 30 other threads about hating gamestop
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

CAv wrote:Gamestop moves in, kills the small stores, then phases out all retro games. Now they're pushing exclusive preorder downloadable content. Gamestop is the Evil Empire.
I felt like a mini rant.

Oh yea, and their prices suck.

Honestly, this is the biggest reason I still like GameStop - the pre-order bonuses. I somehow highly doubt I could have gotten my BlazBlue 2-disc OST + Video Guide + Art Book from any other place - especially considering GameStop was, and continues to be, the only place to carry BlazBlue in my town. Same with Demon's Souls and it's OST + Art Book pre-order combo.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

hashiriya1 wrote:I think any shop in the business of buying used games (or anything, for that matter) buys low to sell high. It is just business. All the game shops I sold games and accessories to in Japan bought them for pennies. I didn't care, I just accepted it. Just sell your goods on ebay or racketboy.

Yeah, I totally agree!! The pre-order incentives like Collector Editions/figurines/artbooks are the only reasons for me to buy at GameStop. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

I really don't like GS, but it is nice that they're there when just in case I can't find something at another retail place or don't feel like buying online and waiting.
I don't do the trading thing though, it's damn stupid, you're only ripping yourself off. I try to buy new whenever possible too, I'd rather buy used from someone on a forum than them.