Is Gamestop Evil? The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
yomomma1
128-bit

Re: Gamestop is evil

Post by yomomma1 »

I don't mind them taking low prices for games, they are basically just a pawn shop for video games. But I hate them charging almost full price for a used game, scratched up with a generic case and no manual. I do have a few game x changes in my area, I go to them way more often than gamestop.
lost_within
Next-Gen

Post by lost_within »

Just off top my head I know this thread has been created 5 times, one time me and mod man getting in a stronge discussion over the new unsealed games vs used games. Maybe someone should just sticky a gamestop thread and label it "What GS does to you"
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

It should be called "Things gamestop does to your children while you're asleep"
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

i traded in a MINT CIB copy of castevania (even included the original receipt) to my local retro game store and they game me 3 bucks for it. since i don't give a rats ass about boxed NES games i just took it like a man and took my 3 bucks. and the thing is i havent seen it posted on the stores EBAY account. i also haven't seen it in the store for sale. it makes me wonder if the owner of the store just kept it for himself.

so mom and pop stores can dick you over as well.
Last edited by final fight cd on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you took a shit, please put it back
lost_within
Next-Gen

Post by lost_within »

Jrecee wrote:It should be called "Things gamestop does to your children while you're asleep"

+1
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

yomomma1 wrote:I don't mind them taking low prices for games, they are basically just a pawn shop for video games. But I hate them charging almost full price for a used game, scratched up with a generic case and no manual. I do have a few game x changes in my area, I go to them way more often than gamestop.

Yeah, this was a policy that I don't understand why it was repealed. It used to be that, if you didn't have the original case, your trade-in credit would be docked. Now, you get the same trade-in credit for a lone disc as you would for a complete collector's edition.

No one likes it. Customers don't like it because it leaves them with a sea of generic cases, and employees don't like it because it means they have to make replacement cases all the damn time. More over, it encourages people to just put their games in those damn CD Book thingies that scratch games up more than sandpaper.
DCsegaDH
128-bit

Post by DCsegaDH »

Jrecee wrote:It should be called "Things gamestop does to your children while you're asleep"

:lol:
Systems: Sega Dreamcast(x2), Sega Genesis(x2), Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Genmobile (portable Genesis), FC Twin, PSX, PS2(x2), GBA, SP, Xbox 360, N64, Showcase Arcade
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

If you want decent trade-in credit for games, you could try Blockbuster. I've heard stories of people buying a ton of GameStop games during B2G1 specials, and then trading them into Blockbuster for mad bank.

Of course, I'm sure this is part of the reason why Blockbuster has both feet in the grave...
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Oh, WAAAAAA!

At least you live in a place that can have at least ONE video game store!

The nearest video game store to me is a Play N Trade that is an hour away. And I don't have my own car, or a license.

So... the only way to get up there is to ask my mom to drive me up, so if she says no, then no go. I mean, tomorrow, I wanted to go up so I could go to KMart and trade in a board game (Clue: Secrets and Spies) that my mom got me so I could use the store credit towards the Capcom Platinum Hits three-pack, which I didn't get even though I asked for it. And she said no, since I'm in the red and the bulk of my check will have to go towards getting myself out of that hole.

And you clearly live less than HALF as far. And it may be evil, by the logic of some, but at least it's something.

Sure they don't carry retro stuff anymore, but if I wanna get retro games from a place within walking distance from my house, all I got is the local thrift store, and games are a "once-in-a-blue-moon" phenom.

And as for you, GO ONLINE! Your town may be losing places that carry retro games, but there's still places online. And it's better than nothing. I mean, hell. It's basically all I have that doesn't depend on the whims of others.

And guess what? Gamespot was once just a small place. Same with Walmart, Starbucks, 7-11 (which originally just carried ice), McDonalds, Burger King, and so on.

And you wanna bitch about places going under? I lost the only comic book store in a reasonable distance away (though only 1 hour away). After that, the closest one is roughly 2-4 TIMES THE DISTANCE!! The local movie theatre closes down every winter, and I can never get my parents to drive me to the one an hour away, even though they know that seeing a movie in theatres is important to me.

And the reason I don't have my license? Because the DMV is an hour away, and the only time the DMV van comes down is on the third Thursday of the month, and even then, it still depends solely on whether or not I can get someone to drive me there.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Gamestop once tried to touch me on the bus when I was young. Of course it was going by EB Games at the time. It thought I wouldn't notice or remember. :cry: