Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)

Total: 10 games

Ah, it's good to finally have more time to devote to games :)

Stanley Parable
I won't say too much about this as I think it would take away some of the charm if I gave away too much... All you really do is choose where to walk and what things to push, but the funny narration (in a smart way I guess?) combined with the situations you're thrown in is amazing. It's a bit short (even if you go for multiple endings), but it's very much worth it imo.

BattleBlock Theatre
This game also made me laugh a lot, but in a veeery different way than Stanley Parable. It's not exactly potty humour, but it's definitely very, very silly. I can't remember most of the good lines the narrator says, but an example of one was something like "Don't hit the lasers or you'll poop yourself and die!". I know that's not really everyone's cup of tea, and normally I don't like it that much, but here I felt it was done pretty well. The gameplay was pretty solid too imo, even if it's just a simple little platformer. It was very colourful, the difficulty didn't ramp up too quickly, the controls felt pretty responsive, and there were a fair number of checkpoints. I can't really think of any one time where I thought it was unfair to be honest. Only problem I had with it was the sliding was a bit difficult for me to pull off, but thankfully you don't need to use it that often.

So I really enjoyed both of these games, and I think BattleBlock Theatre is probably now one of my favourite platformers :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)
56. Elevator Action II (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
57. Altered Beast (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
58. Congo Bongo (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
59. International Soccer (Commodore 64)
60. Out of this World! / Helicopter Rescue! (Odyssey²)
61. Alien Invaders - Plus! (Odyssey²)
62. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
63. River Raid (Atari 2600)

River Raid
Sticking with Activision again.

River Raid was developed by Carol Shaw, one of the first female game designers. It was developed for the Atari 2600 and later ported to the Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit computers, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, and even the MSX!

And it's totally awesome.

Shooters were common before 1982 but most were "fixed shooters" - single screen games where you can move back and forth on an X-axis (ie: Space Invaders). Others, like Defender and Scramble, had horizontal scrolling. River Raid, on the other hand, is one of the earliest examples of a vertical shooter with a scrolling screen. That said, this isn't the same sort of vertical scrolling seen in Xevious (and beyond). You're still restricted to horizontal movement on the bottom of the screen, and pushing the joystick up and down causes your fighter plane to accelerate and decelerate, respectively. In other words, the screen will move faster or slower as you push/pull. All the while the screen scrolls below displaying a river landscape with varied green terrain.

Enemies are abound, but unlike your jet they are unable to fire projectiles. Instead they, along with the green terrain, will deduct a life if crashed into. Ships and helicopters are restricted to the water and move in a horizontal pattern. They're generally easy to shoot or avoid. The most dangerous enemies are the drones that Barack Obama fires at you from offscreen. Veer too far to the right or left and it becomes quite challenging to dodge one when it emerges. Bridges also appear periodically and the must be shot down lest you desire a blown-up jet.

Fuel management is crucial. Tanks are littered throughout the river and they become more scarce as you continue flying. Shooting a tank causes it to vanish, so firing haphazardly is generally a poor idea. In an interesting twist, shooting a fuel tank will also net you points, so it's actually a smart idea to shoot one down instead of collecting it if your gauge is already almost or totally full.

This is a "points-based" game. It essentially consists of one long level that never ends, so the goal is to rack up as many points as possible. An Activision expert named Jordy told me I can use the badge criteria to determine when the game was "beaten." Here it's 15,000 points. I went well beyond that. Technically you can roll over the point gauge, at a score of one million, but that's completely insane and would require several hours of perfect precise play.

River Raid is fun as hell. Controls are perfectly fluid and the game is an intense palm-sweating experience. Absolutely fantastic; one of the best of the Atari era. And since it's Activision you can find it on any number of their Anthology compilations. Anyone interested in the history of shmups, or video games in general, can't afford to pass this one up.

Next up: a game with an actual ending!!! (well, assuming I can beat it and don't have to switch to something else :wink: )
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Fri May 01, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nice. Good work with River Raid. It is a stupendous 2600 game, but I have not played it enough to earn the badge. I need to remedy that sometime.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The cheap and easy way to gain points is to just take it slow. Don't accelerate rapidly unless you need to get out of a trap.

The narrow light green sections are full of enemies just waiting to be picked off, not to mention extra fuel tanks that can be shot for points.

In the really narrow dark green sections (where you have to choose either the left or right path) I typically went into survival mode and focused more on not crashing into terrain than shooting enemies.

If you die and respawn in front of a fuel tank shoot it immediately. You won't need it as you'll have a full gauge and it's an easy way to gain points. Actually, in the opening section you can shoot half the tanks there too as there's a surplus.

By the way I am quite confident you can "earn the badge." Once you get into a groove it takes all of 10 minutes, maybe less. When I finally sat down and went for it the other night I succeeded on my 7th or 8th attempt.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:Super Castlevania IV is generally considered one of the easier entries, though I ended up finding Rondo to be easier to get through. That said, the second I unlocked Maria I switched to her and went through the rest of the game with her. If I had tried to Richter it the whole way through I might have considered it harder than IV.

Maria is easy mode, for sure. Good grief, is she overpowered, and an amazing boss killer. Those doves alone enable her to do tons of damage in a limited period of time. Add the extra mobility in and it's just not fair.

I did do a Richter run, and it does get really tough. But I think that was more just the bosses than anything, I don't remember it being much harder overall than SCIV.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Sarge wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Super Castlevania IV is generally considered one of the easier entries, though I ended up finding Rondo to be easier to get through. That said, the second I unlocked Maria I switched to her and went through the rest of the game with her. If I had tried to Richter it the whole way through I might have considered it harder than IV.

Maria is easy mode, for sure. Good grief, is she overpowered, and an amazing boss killer. Those doves alone enable her to do tons of damage in a limited period of time. Add the extra mobility in and it's just not fair.

I did do a Richter run, and it does get really tough. But I think that was more just the bosses than anything, I don't remember it being much harder overall than SCIV.

The last level can be quite a challenge with Richter because of some of the jumps, especially on the collapsing bridge with the bats coming up from behind.

Maria I think was supposed to be a little balanced by taking more damage from hits and her birds doing a bit less damage than a whip strike, but her rate of attack and her mobility are just killer.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Duck Tales Remastered (Xbox 360) - Easy Mode.

Still got a few other difficulty levels to beat the game on, also have some achievements to get.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)
56. Elevator Action II (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
57. Altered Beast (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
58. Congo Bongo (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
59. International Soccer (Commodore 64)
60. Out of this World! / Helicopter Rescue! (Odyssey²)
61. Alien Invaders - Plus! (Odyssey²)
62. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
63. River Raid (Atari 2600)
64. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)

Frankenstein's Monster
Well I'm now up to my birth year. And, coincidentally, today happens to be my birthday. :lol: So Frankenstein's Monster is 32, just like me.

The game was developed by Data Age, who was also known for some really low-quality "shovelware" Atari 2600 releases (ie: Sssnake) as well as Journey Escape, which stars the band Journey. Frankenstein's Monster was the company's latest and greatest release.

Released at the cusp of the third generation, this is one of those rare old games that doesn't loop. It consists of twelve distinct stages (or six stages each with two parts, depending on who you ask). The stages themselves alternate in terms of design and gameplay: six of them are what I'll call the "Pitfall! stages" while the other six are the "bat stages."

The "Pitfall! stages", appropriately enough, feature gameplay elements reminiscent of the Activision classic. The goal here is to (eventually) enclose Frankenstein's Monster in bricks before he re-animates and wreaks unspeakable havoc. You begin in the upper right corner of these stages and there's a brick located in the bottom right. Our hero (some guy in a baseball cap and blue jeans) must run, jump, climb up/down ropes, avoid enemies, and delicately cross a stream to collect these bricks. Each level features a few cliché horror enemies - ghosts and spiders - while the monster himself watches the action from the top of the screen.

The "bat stages" play completely differently. These feature a top down view and baseball cap man must reach one of two bricks at the top of the screen. All while a seemingly endless stream of bats flies around, seeking to knock you down and hinder progress.

The Pitfall! stages are the game's bread and butter. They're colorful and vibrant; and the hero and enemies alike are wonderfully animated. On the other hand, the bat stages feel like an afterthought. There's no strategy - sometimes you'll be pushed to the screen's bottom over and over, while on other occasions you'll get lucky and sail to the top in (literally) 2 or 3 seconds.

While the means of winning the game (collecting all the bricks) is apparent, there are actually several paths to a Game Over in Frankenstein's Monster. First of all, there's a time limit. Not a separate one for each stage, but a master time limit. There is no numerical count-down; instead the monster will slowly turn from white to green. Every time green pixels are added there's a flash of lightning and some spooky music; it's a great campy effect. Run out of time and it's an instant Game Over. You also begin with three lives and 500 points. Oddly enough, touching enemies won't kill you outright. Instead they deduct points and freeze your character for a few seconds. Points are (re)gained by completing a level. When points reach 0, one life is lost.

That said, I never saw a Game Over screen due to loss of points or time. Have you ever watched AVGN's review of Ninja Gaiden where he states that he forgot he even has a health bar because 100% of Ryu's deaths were caused by falling into pits? Same deal here. There's a "stream" of blue water (though some websites claim it's actually acid?) at the bottom of each and every Pitfall! stage. The brick is the prize on the other side. You will fall into this water. A lot.

And that brings me to the biggest flaw of the game. The jumping. You can make three kinds of jumps: straight up (worthless) and up and to the right or left. This ain't Super Mario Bros. though - there's no way to make subtle tweaks to your jumps once you're in the air. Instead Mr. Blue Jeans sails along a predetermined arc. To be fair, these controls are typical of the era and enemies are generally easy to leap over. But then level 4 tosses in moving platforms above the water. This sucks. Level 6 kicks it up a notch by making the platforms move and occasionally vanish.

It's no exaggeration to say it took me 30+ attempts to complete this, and virtually all of my deaths were drowning-related. But when I did finally finish the game it was a glorious moment. There's even a bit of an ending "cutscene" with a quaint jingle. Even better than the ending is the Game Over screen - it's amazing. Seriously, just watch this. Scary stuff! And I'm seriously impressed by the size of that sprite.

Despite the inherent issues with the controls, Frankenstein's Monster is a very ambitious and worthwhile game. With a few little tweaks it could almost feel like an NES launch title. I do want to mention that the game is "rare" - in other words you may have to spend $20 on it as opposed to, ya know, $1. It's certainly a worthwhile addition to an Atari collection and one of those games actually worth splurging on.

Probably will lay off the Year Challenge for a bit as I focus on Summa Games.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sounds like you only beat Rondo with Game Genie then.

Go back and try again.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:

Sounds like you only beat Rondo with Game Genie then.

Go back and try again.

I am comfortable with the fact that a little girl kicks more ass than a grown man.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.