Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by Xeogred »

pook99 wrote:How do Donkey Kong country returns and tropical freeze compare to the original DKC trilogy?

I love them. lol, your mileage will vary I guess with how hit or miss they seem to be.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

230. Golden axe 2(genesis)
231. Double Dragon Gold (openbor)
232. Bare knuckle 3 yesterday once more (openbor)
233. Super Mario Lost Levels (snes)

Mario Lost Levels has been a game that I have been meaning to play forever and I decided to put it on my summer games list to motivate myself to play it.

First things first, after finally playing through the game I could say for sure that I am very happy that we got our version of super mario 2 rather than the lost levels. US Super Mario 2 is an amazing game, and I would love to see a more modern version of a mario game set in the dream universe with throwable vegetables and wart instead of Bowser. We got Mario 2 in a time when companies were not afraid to completely change up its sequels and much like zelda 2, and castlevania 2, Mario 2 was radically different than its predecessor. As a kid, I loved the universe that Mario 2 presented us with, I loved the bright colorful graphics, the new world, enemies, vegetables, and all the other cool stuff that came with that game. If we got lost levels as a kid, I definitely would have been disappointed.

Thats not to say lost levels is a bad game, in fact quite the opposite, I really enjoyed lost levels, and I would even go as far to say that I enjoyed it more than the original super mario bros. I played the snes version so it is slightly easier than the nes version since you have unlimited continues and you could save your progress every level. These features make the experience much more enjoyable than it would have been if we got the game on the nes. I honestly could not imagine beating the game in one sitting, nor could I imagine having the patience to replay some of the more annoying levels repeatedly to progress in the game.

Having said all that, I enjoy difficult games, and I enjoyed the challenge that this game presents. There are some annoying features, most notably the lack of power ups, mushrooms are nearly impossible to come by which means you will play the vast majority of the game small and without the luxury of any safety net. The game also has an annoying habit of dropping a power up at a useless time or a time that is detrimental. For example, I found a hidden star on world 8-3, I was so excited, until I realized I needed to bounce off a turtle to make the jump right in front of the star and you cant do that while invincible. Stuff like that is super annoying and the game seems to really enjoy trolling the player.

I'm not sure quite how to rate the games difficulty in the grand scheme of gaming, it actually starts out pretty benign, I beat the first 4 worlds without continuing but then the difficulty ratchets up pretty steeply with world 7 and 8 being very frustrating filled with really tight jumps that require some parts memorization and a bit of trial and error. The last 2 levels were a nightmare and I beat the last level with literally 7 seconds left on the timer.

I'm glad I finally played this game, as an adult with a lifetime of gaming experience, I really appreciated the challenge and got a great feeling of satisfaction from beating each of the increasingly hard levels, it is a game I will probably revisit at some point, but there is no way this expansion pack would have captured my heart the way mario 2 did for me when I was 8 years old.

Xeogred wrote:
pook99 wrote:How do Donkey Kong country returns and tropical freeze compare to the original DKC trilogy?

I love them . lol, your mileage will vary I guess with how hit or miss they seem to be.

How do you think they stack up to the original trilogy?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

pook99 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

I love them . lol, your mileage will vary I guess with how hit or miss they seem to be.

How do you think they stack up to the original trilogy?

I think they're close to the same level as DKC2-3 for me. The games are back to being simpler and less collectathon which I appreciate, still with some stuff you can get for the brutal hard extra levels or whatever. And you know what I love about DKC1? DK himself! So it's great that he's back and playable in these two. The difficulty is pretty high but totally fair and fun to me. The composer for Returns was Kenji Yamamoto and the OST even has some Metroid Prime-esque tones here and there, along with some great remixes of classic tracks and such. Returns doesn't have any underwater levels strangely, but it has a returning Factory world which I loved and a lot of levels in general. Tropical Freeze picks up the high difficulty but I think it was a little more forgiving. This one brings back David Wise, underwater levels, more playable Kong's which is neat, and though it has less levels overall I believe, the levels themselves were pretty dense and long. I'm not sure which one I prefer between these two, they both rock. I plan to get the 3DS version of Returns sometime and the Switch port of Tropical Freeze, so I'll replay them eventually.

I should also mention I'm generally not a fan of the 2.5D style visually, but I think these games look awesome. I have no complaints, I don't even like the Wii much but I don't recall anything about the waggle controls bugging me even if it wasn't ideal, it didn't stop me from enjoying Returns to the fullest.

Since you just conquered Lost Levels, I think you'd enjoy the challenge of Returns/Tropical Freeze.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:

I love them. lol, your mileage will vary I guess with how hit or miss they seem to be.

I love them too~. I think they're fantastic games. They aren't exactly the same thing as the originals as far as the idea of their level designs go, but they're still excellent games totally worth picking up UwU
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I don't like the heft much at all. The SNES DKC games are much snappier, and I appreciate that.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

The new DKC games take some adjusting, but the control of the character is far from bad. The new games require much more precise platforming (And are just way more difficult overall), and there was never a point where I felt that was hampered by the way the character controls. Its different, though, so I can see why it would be off putting.

They are divisive games, so all I can suggest for anyone curious about them is to just give them a try. But, fwiw, I enjoyed the games a lot, and Tropical Freeze is probably my favorite DKC game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
37. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy (Switch eShop)
38. ACA NeoGeo: Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy (Switch eShop)
39. ACA NeoGeo: Shock Troopers (Switch eShop)
40. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
41. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
42. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES)

Just a quickie post. I don't have the energy to write long ass reviews anymore, especially for games "everyone" has already played.

So, I maintain that the original Donkey Kong Country is the best of the original trilogy by a huge margin. Cut from the same cloth as the strongest of Mario games, it offers up some solid mechanics and plenty of variety,

Donkey Kong Country 3 reminds me quite a bit of the second game. It's too big, too bloated, with a smattering of specific stages that are downright trollish and awful (seriously, that "poison" stage with the inverted controls can suck it). I actually enjoyed the first two worlds the best, as they were the most straightforward, tight, and consistent. There's an explorable world map, and plenty of collectibles, none of which are interesting or worthwhile. Graphically, this one's fantastic, with a velvety subdued color palette. I also like the subtle and ambient musical score.

I dunno, if I had to "score" this one I'd probably give it a 5/10 or 6/10 or so. It's not an "average" game, but a mechanically competent title that's buried under a bunch of really extraneous unfortunate design choices. I get the same vibes from this one that I get from something like Phantasy Star II.

I'm starting to think that, with the exception of the first installment, the DKC games just aren't for me.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
37. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy (Switch eShop)
38. ACA NeoGeo: Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy (Switch eShop)
39. ACA NeoGeo: Shock Troopers (Switch eShop)
40. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
41. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
42. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES)

43. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
Kangaroo was a single-screen platformer developed by Sunsoft. Originally released in the arcades in 1982, it was ported to various Atari systems the next year. I (re)played the game for the Animals month. The protagonist is a mother kangaroo, who must reach the top tier of each stage to rescue her joey from some devious monkeys.

So, I had this revelation about classic single-screen platformers the other day. Most allow you to either jump or attack, but not both. Kangaroo bucks that trend, as the mommy has quite the moveset. She can jump, attack (punch), and duck. Not that this makes the game any easier. The monkeys are relentless and have their own ammunition attacks (I hope those are rocks they're throwing). There's also a sort of homing bouncing ball that drops from the top of each stage that needs to be persistently avoided.

Oh, and there's fall damage. This is common among this genre, but it's taken to extremes here. Basically, you can't "drop" down at all; every jump must be made to a higher platform or one at the exact same elevation as mommy. Hilariously, if you do "fall" the death animation is initiated immediately, there's no dramatic plummet & splat.

Graphics are solid and the occasional "public domain" jingles are always welcome.

I rather enjoy this game. I've never played the arcade original, but this Atari version is much stronger than the Donkey Kong, Popeye, and Mario Bros. ports that ended up on the 2600. I know Atari stuff isn't popular around here, but I think NES fans would enjoy this one.

Sunsoft released a game called Arabian the following year with similar mechanics. That one ended up on the Famicom (I own it, but haven't been able to finish it).
Flake

Post by Flake »

January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

July:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3)
Street Fighter (PS4)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PS4)
Megaman X (PS4)
Megaman X4 (PS4)
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

August:

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Megaman X2 (PS4)

I owe Mario Kart Wii an apology. I barely played it back when it first came out back in 2008 (I think?) because it didn't seem fast enough. At this point, I'd mostly just played either the original on the Super Nintendo or the DS version. I don't remember more about my specific gripes but they stuck with me for a decade. Just a couple weeks ago in the Slack channel, I remember calling it garbage.

Recently I hooked up my Wii Mini and have been rebuilding the Wii collection via eBay and pulling some boxes out of storage. I popped Mario Kart Wii in with no real expectations. I think a lot of my gripes were either unfair or unsubstantiated. For one, the AI is actually challenging on 50cc - and not just in a 'throw all the items' way. Probably due to rubber banding but it feels like someone is always trying to edge you out. It makes for a shit racing sim but a great short burst, intense gaming session. The item mix is pretty good, too. There are some fun ones that don't seem to be in Mario Kart 8DX as far as I know like the Giant Mushroom from the New Super Mario Bros series.

I don't think that the tracks are particularly great but there are reasons why Mario Kart Wii isn't a fan favorite, even if it's not as bad as I remembered.

Megaman X2 is the game in the 2D Megaman X era that I have played the fewest times. I have probably played the original Megaman X over a hundred times. X4 probably counts in the dozens. X3 and X5 probably around 10 times. I have played X6 to completion 5 times (don't ask why I know that specifically) but I know for a fact this is only the 4th time I have ever played Megaman X2.

Megaman X2 is not a bad game but it commits to nothing that it introduces. Every part of the game screams 'optional'. You don't have to do the fetch quest that is pretty much the game's entire narrative hook. You don't have to use any of the new armor items you're given, not even once. You can skip 3 major bosses all you want. And if you play the game the 'right' way, it makes the final level so easy that you probably won't need more than one energy reserve tank to get through it.

Megaman X2 is, in terms of control, art, and music pretty damn good. It doesn't give you a lot of reasons to play it though - a product of a time when the first game's success commanded a sequel and said sequel was produced out of what feels like obligation, not passion. Megaman X6 is a fucking mess but it's a mess that truly commits to its premise so it sticks in my memory and makes me want to replay it more often to re-experience what it has to offer. Megaman X2 doesn't offer anything and playing through it every time I do an 'All X series' run has become a chore to avoid.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)
10. Adventure Island (NES)
11. Adventure Island II (NES)
12. Adventure Island (GB)
13. Super Adventure Island (SNES)
14. New Adventure Island (TG16)
15. Adventure Island III (NES)
16. The Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES)
17. Part Time UFO (iOS)
18. Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise (GB)
19. Adventure Island IV (NES)
20. Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
21. Adventure Island: The Beginning (WII)
22. Quell Memento (3DS)
23. Wonder Boy in Monster Land (ARCADE)
24. Saiyuuki World (FAMICOM)
25. Whomp ‘Em (NES)
26. Bikkuriman World (TG16)
27. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (TG16)
28. Go Series: Picdun (DS)
29. The Keep (3DS)
30. Dooors (3DS)
31. Ninja Gaiden (ARCADE)
32. Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
33. TMNT (GBA)
34. Double Dragon Advance (GBA)
35. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
36. Double Dragon II (ARCADE)
37. Kung Fu Master (GB)
38. Cube Escape: The Lake (iOS)
39. Cube Escape: Seasons (iOS)
40. Cube Escape: Arles (iOS)
41 . Cube Escape: Harvey’s Box (iOS)
42. Cube Escape: Case 23 (iOS)
43. Cube Escape: The Mill (iOS)
44. Rusty Lake Hotel (iOS)
45. Cube Escape: Birthday (iOS)
46. Cube Escape: The Theatre (iOS)
47. Rusty Lake Roots (iOS)
48. Cube Escape: The Cave (iOS)
49. Rusty Lake Paradise (iOS)
50. Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (ARCADE)

51. Knightmare Tower (iOS)
52. 80s Overdrive (3DS)
53. Hitman Go (iOS)
54. Deus Ex Go (iOS)

Deus Ex Go is the third game in Square-Enix’s Go series (i.e., turn-based strategy games based on popular Enix franchises). Deus Ex Go is just fine, and it introduces some neat mechanics inspired by the series. That said, it’s easily the easiest and weakest of the games in the Go series. (I beat it over a week ago, and I only just now remembered to write about it...) I have now run the series, though, and I recommend it overall. Lara Croft Go was definitely my favorite, and anyone interested good puzzle games should give them a shot. (They go on sale frequently, and I think I was able to buy all three for less than $10 total.)
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.