Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by bmoc Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 pm

The word on Reddit is that preorders will be available tomorrow at select retailers. So probably just the big names like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, and Amazon.

I did sign up for that PSN preorder notification shortly after it went live.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Seems like preorders went live just a little while ago. Wal-Mart, Target, and Gamestop are already sold out of the disc drive unit at least. I've got one in my cart at Best Buy but it won't let me check out. I suspect they may be sold out as well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:48 am

I have zero reason to recommend Xbox SX to any one. Even aesthetically PS5 has more personality than a dull rectangular box. And that Series S ugly black circle is very questionable, why not just make it white to blend with the console? Sony will rip them apart this time around and I feel Microsoft is calling it quit competing on the hardware. Looks to me that Microsoft is changing their business model to be platform agnostic and making money on any platform by being a game gatekeeper like Steam.

The only part I am looking forward to is how many people will opt for the cheaper Xbox SS compared to the digital PS5, would consumers really prefer to save that $100? $100 is a measly amount when considering this device will live for a full video game generation and will last at least 10 years. I also question if adding a BD drive in there really costs $100 more, DVD drives are as low as $25 MSRP for a burning drive!

One reddit user commented "RIP to all parents who will be buying a digital only console and find out the discs they bought won't work on them" :lol: :lol:
yes, tech. is confusing.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 pm

No way adding a bluray drive costs $100 at Sony's scale. I think the $100 price difference in PS5 consoles is just meant to entice some consumers to finally make the transition to all digital purchases. I'd wager Sony and Microsoft are both selling their digital only consoles for a loss because they get a larger cut of digital sales and there is no used market.

I wasn't able to get a PS5 last night. I happened to have today off for unrelated reasons so I drove out to my closest Gamestop to see if they had any in-store preorders. I got there 30 minutes before they opened right as an employee was going in to get the store prepped. They had zero units to offer so I don't think every Gamestop is getting an allocation as of right now.

That said, I won't be crushed if I don't get one at launch. The launch line up isn't that fantastic to be honest. I just wish the whole preorder thing was handled better. From what I have read, Walmart jumped the gun and all the other retailers followed soon after. I'm sure more preorders will be available eventually so I'm not stressing over it.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm

My local stores don't have ps5 preorders, but I don't really care. I do want a ps5 eventually, but I'm good to wait a few years when there are price drops and tons of cheap games. If the later revisions are digital only I will not even bother getting one. I dont mind being all digital on PC, but consoles need a physical option or I won't even bother.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:07 am

I've seen nothing that makes me want to buy any next gen console. Not being able to play the games off of external storage is going to be a headache. And it'll probably be a while before the default SSD capacity increases in the boxes. Also I'm not willing to spend $69.99 on new games. I'll probably wait 3 or 4 years like I did for the 8th generation before I buy in. Even then, I'll wait for games to drop in price; They drop pretty fast. DOOM Eternal was on sale for $40 3 months after release and half-off at 6 months. It's just not worth it anymore to buy day one unless it's a multiplayer game.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 am

I still don't know why Microsoft just doesn't put Windows in the Xbox, sounds logical and will give them major competitive advantage. All Steam and GOG games available on day 1. Modern consoles are just mini PCs after all.
marurun

by marurun Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:24 am

Windows has a lot of overhead and would require a more expensive Xbox with more resources. Also, a console is much more user friendly.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:01 am

RCBH928 wrote:I still don't know why Microsoft just doesn't put Windows in the Xbox, sounds logical and will give them major competitive advantage. All Steam and GOG games available on day 1. Modern consoles are just mini PCs after all.

First and foremost, because MS doesn't get a percentage of any and all Windows software sold. Even going through the Windows store, the revenue split is much less than it is on Xbox. The hardware isn't what they (or any console platform holder) really make money on. Instead, they're making money selling related services - XBL, Games Pass, etc, and a healthy 30% cut on software. Things they wouldn't get if people just bought an Xbox as a cheap PC and proceeded to buy their games on Steam.

Additionally, kind of as mentioned, there'd be a combination of accommodating more general Windows software compatibility needs, and general user experience. More work, to almost certainly not make money. To be fair, not everything MS has done really makes them a ton. The Adaptive Controller, while not super cheap, is likely a loss. Same for a lot of their backwards compatibility efforts - there's some great ability to sell older games that way, but there are also potentially millions of users out there that have a 360 disc or license already that won't have to give them a dime.

That said, it's not like the general concept has escaped them. MS does have the Universal Windows Platform that allows for writing apps that work on both Windows and Xbox. They also make a point to offer first-party games on Windows as well, and offer Games Pass on both, build streaming in, and have unified accounts. While not guaranteed, you can even have shared cloud saves between Xbox and PC (Play Anywhere). Their focus is multiplatform.

So it really kind of depends on why you'd want that sort of setup, as there are a number of potential reasons for it that MS does kinda do, just in a way that (understandably) focuses on you giving them money, not Valve or GoG or whoever.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:40 pm

It depends on what you mean by "put Windows on it". Architecturally the One was running on the same base as Windows with the frontend being Xbox specific. I would not be shocked to find the Series also uses the Windows foundation.

If you mean "sell a stripped down PC as a game console" then that's just asking for headaches. The advantage of the console model is it is a completely walled garden where they can ensure that people can't install random bullshit and fuck up their machines. Not to mention that massively opens the door for piracy on the system.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming