Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BomberDino

How many of you still play multiplayer games in-person?

by BomberDino Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 pm

I just played split-screen Mario Kart Wii this past weekend. We used to always get together for 8-player Saturn Bomberman. (I didn't have more controllers than that.) How many here still get together to play games in person? (Or did before COVID?) With newer systems or retro systems?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you still play multiplayer games in-person?

by o.pwuaioc Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:48 pm

BomberDino wrote:I just played split-screen Mario Kart Wii this past weekend. We used to always get together for 8-player Saturn Bomberman. (I didn't have more controllers than that.) How many here still get together to play games in person? (Or did before COVID?) With newer systems or retro systems?

I think the hey-day for get-together gaming was 2010-2015 for me. A few close friends after that, but not like it used to be. The last time I had a 4 person thing was Mario Kart 64 in 2018. Heck, the archives here will attest to the large Racketboy meetups in the past. But as Achebe accurately observed, things fall apart.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 am

Pretty rare these days, but it can sometimes still happen if I've got old roommates visiting or something.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:36 am

With my niece and nephew, it's a stipulation (for them) getting a new game on my computer (mine can do every game well). Couch co-op. I don't really play games online - I only play single player campaign games, so my steam account is full of mostly AAA & couch-co-op games. My family members often (ask then) grab my main computer for single-screen multiplayer games with 4+ members on my 1080 53" screen.
Tho they do on occasion go online on my systems, most multiplayer is done couch split-screen.
My brother, nephew and I occasionally play Kirby GBA games. I can set up a multiplayer game in under 30 seconds. I make sure it's painless in the hopes that I can get some other franchises going on my Gamecubes. No dice so-far I really want to battle in Zelda and Pac-Man. We use my 3 projector CRT, my main plasma, and whichever side-screen I have handy - it's usually a 1084 amiga crt.
No real online multiplayer here unless my niece lets her friends start competing online with their accounts using my side-computers. It's happened a few times, but she has some weird social problems so these things are very short.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:18 am

Every Saturday.

I go to my friend's house and we play multiplayer games on the same screen all evening long. Dr. Mario, Tetris, Maximum Pool, Mario Kart 8, Streets of Rage 4, his arcade MAME machine and so many other games that have been cycled through our time together.

Also, several times a year, another friend and his friend will come over to my place to play video games. We mostly play Fortune Street and Mario Party together.

I don't play games online, so the only time I play games with other is sitting next to another person.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am

Consoles yes, PC not so much. Id love to go to another lanparty, but the games I want to play are not popular enough that I could get players.
Ack

by Ack Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am

fastbilly1 wrote:Consoles yes, PC not so much. Id love to go to another lanparty, but the games I want to play are not popular enough that I could get players.

I'm not playing you in Nidhogg.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Consoles yes, PC not so much. Id love to go to another lanparty, but the games I want to play are not popular enough that I could get players.

At the same time, the games I used to play at lan parties would all run on cheap laptops now, making such a get together a lot easier....
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:23 pm

When I play multi-player games, it is usually with my wife or children. Accordingly, I only really play multiplayer games in-person.
BomberDino

by BomberDino Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 am

Markies wrote:Dr. Mario, Tetris, Maximum Pool, Mario Kart 8, Streets of Rage 4, his arcade MAME machine and so many other games that have been cycled through our time together.

You are very fortunate. Do you make it a point to try new games or mostly stick with familiar games? No fighting games? Anything on the Sega Saturn? I'm afraid since I can't find anyone willing to play "weird" fighting games on the Saturn, I'm pretty much done with the console. Never thought this day would come, but we've played Bomberman and Puzzle Fighter to death.
Return to General Gaming