Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10210
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:10 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I absolutely hate Zelda II, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad game. I just find it far too difficult for how little I found myself enjoying it. I also don't like Majora's Mask even though I think that's one of the best made games of the 90s.


+1 on Majora’s Mask

I think it is one of the wonderfully intricate, beautifully designed games ever made, and it is Wonder it runs on 20+ year old hardware. I respect it immensely, and I also consider it one of the best games of the 90s. I just don’t enjoy playing it that much.

Zelda II on the other hand, I adore for basically the same reasons stated by dsnell99 above.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37928
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by noiseredux Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Majora's Mask > Ocarina.
Image
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Forlorn Drifter Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Ack wrote:That may still be the case, so take it with a grain of salt. Info on Japan-only PS1 stuff has always been spotty, and I guarantee there are some crazy obscure variants and titles no one thought would interest the West that will be tough to find any info on. PS1 also just doesn't illicit the second response from the fanbase that other consoles do.

Yeah, that's the idea I was getting. Well, I hope I can at least find some interesting stuff. I wasn't planning on digging super deep, just stuff with English patches and stuff that's no-reading necessary import friendly. I've been watching a lot of PS1 survival horror stuff, most of which I couldn't play, but it got my mind going.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10210
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
Ack wrote:That may still be the case, so take it with a grain of salt. Info on Japan-only PS1 stuff has always been spotty, and I guarantee there are some crazy obscure variants and titles no one thought would interest the West that will be tough to find any info on. PS1 also just doesn't illicit the second response from the fanbase that other consoles do.

Yeah, that's the idea I was getting. Well, I hope I can at least find some interesting stuff. I wasn't planning on digging super deep, just stuff with English patches and stuff that's no-reading necessary import friendly. I've been watching a lot of PS1 survival horror stuff, most of which I couldn't play, but it got my mind going.


There were some pretty odd games released for the PS3 in NA by Hamster and MonkeyPaw Games. Stuff like Finger Flashing, The Firemen 2, Lucifer Ring, Money Idol Exchanger, etc. None of them are translated, but none of them really require knowledge of Japanese either. Have you looked into those yet?
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Thanks partridge! No idea you could do that.

Hopefully everything is on Wikipedia, there was apparently a time even recently where there was a lot of Japanese PS1 and Saturn stuff that was really unknown in the west. Or at least, that's what a lot of things I found suggested.


I don't even remember what article I discovered it on, but it was completely by accident that I found that you could sort not one but several columns in a Wikipedia table.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:There were some pretty odd games released for the PS3 in NA by Hamster and MonkeyPaw Games. Stuff like Finger Flashing, The Firemen 2, Lucifer Ring, Money Idol Exchanger, etc. None of them are translated, but none of them really require knowledge of Japanese either. Have you looked into those yet?


I had no idea that Firemen 2 had a US release! I wonder if it's on the US PSN store like it's on the Japanese PSN store :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Forlorn Drifter Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:
Ack wrote:That may still be the case, so take it with a grain of salt. Info on Japan-only PS1 stuff has always been spotty, and I guarantee there are some crazy obscure variants and titles no one thought would interest the West that will be tough to find any info on. PS1 also just doesn't illicit the second response from the fanbase that other consoles do.

Yeah, that's the idea I was getting. Well, I hope I can at least find some interesting stuff. I wasn't planning on digging super deep, just stuff with English patches and stuff that's no-reading necessary import friendly. I've been watching a lot of PS1 survival horror stuff, most of which I couldn't play, but it got my mind going.


There were some pretty odd games released for the PS3 in NA by Hamster and MonkeyPaw Games. Stuff like Finger Flashing, The Firemen 2, Lucifer Ring, Money Idol Exchanger, etc. None of them are translated, but none of them really require knowledge of Japanese either. Have you looked into those yet?

I haven't, but I will now!
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
Markies
128-bit
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Markies Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:24 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I love it, but I think I'd hate it if I tried to play more "legitimately." I've always power-leveled my way through. It hard.


There is a ton that I love about Zelda II. There are so many games that owe itself to Zelda II and some aspects of it are incredibly fun and exciting.

However, the guy who decided where the enemies are placed, is a sadist. The enemy placement in Zelda II is some of the meanest on the system. It is just this barrage of screw you points that don't test anything but your patience.

I was able to beat Zelda II for the second time. NES took 40 deaths while the GameCube took 36. I just don't know if I have the desire to try again.
Image
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10210
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:[
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There were some pretty odd games released for the PS3 in NA by Hamster and MonkeyPaw Games. Stuff like Finger Flashing, The Firemen 2, Lucifer Ring, Money Idol Exchanger, etc. None of them are translated, but none of them really require knowledge of Japanese either. Have you looked into those yet?


I had no idea that Firemen 2 had a US release! I wonder if it's on the US PSN store like it's on the Japanese PSN store :O


It is!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... 0000000001
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 pm

They've announced a Way of the Samurai spiritual successor/spin off... nothing but the name yet, but I'm already excited. I love those janky, stupid games. I kind of hope we get a collection one day...

EDIT: Also, a thread idea- looking at the PS360 gen and current gen, maybe also sixth gen, and thinking about how they and their games will be viewed niece they are third and fourth gens age.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4713
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 am

I think GTA transition from 2D to 3D is the greatest game transition in videogame history. It could be challenged by Metal Gear Solid though...
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests