Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by pierrot Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 pm

I made the mistake of looking a little more closely into what became of Kiya Yoshio after he left Falcom. Turns out that I need an FM-Towns, and a PCFX, like, yesterday, because he worked on a series called Gekirin/DaiGekirin, on the FM Towns, and Last Imperial Prince, on the PCFX. Actually, I'm just being kind of dramatic. All of them were released on Windows PC, as well. Still, there's so little information about them, it seems. I'm not sure how to really find them.

On a semi related note, I found out that Gekirin is a colloquialism that comes from the idea of a Chinese dragon having a single scale below its chin, out of 81, that grows in upside down. That's almost literally what the characters mean, also (geki--gyaku--sakasama: backward/upside down; rin--uroko: scale). It has a connotation of, 'that which must not be touched,' because it's said that touching that upside down scale would throw a dragon into a fit of rage, and cause it to kill such a brazen human in an instant. Thus, Gekirindan was born, I guess.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Only complaint I have with REmake- I wish the map marked what keys the doors needed. Running around like a chicken with its head cut off to check every door is a bit annoying. I'm going to have to play a lot to beat it in under 2 hours.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 am

I just dug up my xbox 360 and hooked it up to my tv after a few years. I have nearly 200 games on my hard drive, the vast majority of these games have never been released on any other platform and there is no way to get or play these games given the fact that the service is shut down. To make matters worse, if you are not online you cannot play these games, which means if/when microsoft shuts down their online service these games will be lost forever, which is really a shame.

I really hope xbox 360 emulation becomes a thing, or at least xblig emulation, that is the only way many of these games will be preserved, xbox360 is one of my all time favorite systems, right up there with the nes and ps2, in large part because of how their indie game service gave rise to indie games as we know them today, their service made it easy for developers to make and publish games, and even though there was a lot of trash, every game was able to be demoed so you never bought a game that was complete garbage.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am

Well, it's a free week in FFXI right now. I got everything installed, and have returned once more to the land of Vana'diel. Do I feel great about? Not exactly, but I was feeling nostalgic for it when I saw the email about the free week. I'm thinking about doing a special stream for it over the weekend.

So, Partridge, I forgot that there's a free trial period when you first sign up for FFXI. There would still be the cost of the game itself (which is like, $9 right now?), but you could cancel before being charged for the service if you wanted. In fact, does anyone want to make a Racketboy thing out of it? I bet Isiolia would be down, no? The stories in the base game, and the first two expansions are pretty dang good, but they take a while. I'm pretty sure we could get people up to level 99 in a weekend, though. Could maybe build a big ol' alliance for Abyssea roaming. Take out some of those massive NMs for fun. Maybe a CoP dragon.

I know this isn't likely to happen, but it's fun to think about.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 am

They're running XP campaign among others, so yeah, burning to 99 would be pretty quick. Also discount campaign so the complete game is $9.99 with 30 days included. I can likely help out. I do have an event group now, but it runs pretty late my time.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 am

If my summer break were about to start and not about to end, I would think about it, but with me going back to a school schedule soon, the only times I'll be able to play are when none of y'all are likely to be awake XP

It would be fun, but time zones conspire against me TwT
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am

Yeah, no worries, Partridge. I barely have time for even just the free week, so I hear ya.

isiolia wrote:I do have an event group now, but it runs pretty late my time.

What events are people doing now in FFXI? Dynamis still?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am

having the baby in the house has definitely meant less time for playing games. (Duh). As such, I've noticed I've been doing something I never really did much before... watching other people play games. IGN has a channel on Pluto TV which has tended to be my go-to lately when trying to get the baby to settle down. I kind of like not having to think about what to watch - just turning on the IGN channel.

Breath Of The Wild has been a big hit - probably because of all the ambient nature sounds. But it's been interesting to subject myself to games I'd generally not have much interest in. I've watched gameplay of Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (that's the title, right?) and Kingdom Hearts 3 and Battlefield V...

Anyway, there's also a Minecraft channel on Pluto which we've been dabbling in. I NEVER thought I'd watch someone else play Minecraft, nor be sucked into it. But I kind of am. Last night me and the baby watched a dude working on building a boat. Actually, she mostly slept on me while I watched. But it was sort of fascinating. I feel like she was drawn to the TV, though - maybe just the bright colors.

Anyway, RGT: I guess we can officially consider Minecraft to be 'retro' now as it was first released in some form in 2009. Weird.

How popular is Minecraft with kids now, in 2019? Most of the dads I know with kids old enough to play games generally tell me their kids are into Fortnite. So it seems like that's the New Minecraft. But are kids still into Minecraft? I have to think that with the creative element that the game could potentially endure for a long time.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am

pierrot wrote:What events are people doing now in FFXI? Dynamis still?

(there is this guide that tries to lay out a lot of what's there)

Probably the primary focus for larger group content would be Dynamis Divergence at some level (there are different things to focus on in it), Aeonic cycle, and Omen. For smaller groups, the monthly allocation of stuff from Ambuscade is always a potential draw, and they have put in some new high tier battles. At the higher end of things at least. Not routine, but there are the Master Trials just for challenge, or probably Tumult Curator for UNM that not many can do.
Some folks still might do weekly Vagary runs or something too, since they're a weekly RoE for the bosses (so everyone can get personal drops of the materials).

Of course, that's more from the perspective of relatively higher end groups, and sort of glosses over slight older, but still relevant stuff that a group of newer/returning folks might schedule for a bit. Or that technically kinda-sorta falls under one of the mentioned things, but at a more limited scope. Like, farming select Geas Fete NMs, even if the high tier ones aren't feasible (if your group can do them all, then you're probably doing Aeonics as mentioned).
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:07 pm

I just wasn’t sure if the content had changed much since a year ago. I was noticing that a lot of the cursed gear seems to have gone down even a bit more, so I wasn’t sure if they’d been usurped by some next new thing after Divergence. Ambuscade armor got +3s added, though, right?
Return to General Gaming