Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by Reprise Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:(I haven't tried Wisdom yet so I don't know how it holds up).

I have Wisdom. I haven't played it since I was a kid, but I remember finding it pretty mediocre though. It's a lazy Zelda clone, with slightly awkward and weird combat, poor graphics and is just pretty linear and straight forward. It's not terrible by any means, it just doesn't really excel at anything. It just... exists.. I guess.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm

funk_Farmer wrote:So much Shining love. I recently read a review for Shining the Holy Ark and it does sound good. I just don't have any way to play Saturn games. Living in the sticks I've only actually seen three Saturns in my entire life. I should try getting a Saturn emulator to work again. I heard some guy recently made a break through in Saturn hardware so that's promising.

I know the series continued on into the ps2 era but those games seem way more anime inspired and I just never got into them. I love the art style of the old Shining games. Back in the day when box art looked Frank Frazetta inspired. The characters are actually pretty memorable and I think they cover every type of humanoid race thing there is.

Definitely look into emulation for the Saturn. It has greatly improved and is my all time favorite system. You have the best bomberman game, shining force 3 is a great and there is a fan translation for the unreleased 2 episodes of it, you have dragon force which is a killer strategy game with infinite replay value... I could go on forever about it.

But you are absolutely right on the character design of the shining force games. I enjoy 1 over 2s character design, it really boils down to preference... they are both great. How is the Sega CD shining game treating you so far? It is ports of the game gear games and I have to play them at some point!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I enjoyed Wisdom a lot for what it's worth.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:48 pm

The Shining Force games could be my favorite series on the Genesis.

They both have their flaws with the first one's more rigid experience points and the steep difficulty spike at the end of the second one. However, they are the perfect games to introduce anybody into the SRPG genre. They are simple enough for anybody, but complicated to appeal to hardcore fans and give a taste of the genre to others.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Fancied playing some arcade classics lately. For some reason, I started playing Gyruss. Very interesting game, it's clearly not as brillant as Tempest, but it's not actually much like Tempest. It's actually Galaga on a tube, which is interesting.

The art direction is top notch, though, the music really pulls you in.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Cosmic Encounter: Philanthropist, or the gamebreaking power of giving
http://eriktwice.com/
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:07 pm

How is the GameBoy advanced version of shining force.. what with the card system and all that?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm

The cards are used by one of the three new members; his ability is to turn into another member of the Force using their card. The other two new members are nice; the caster is close to a master monk in terms of survivability and she has the only aoe attack boost spell across the strategy games. The other one is a high risk high reward attacker; he starts off a bit slow, but when he's at 50% health he gets a major speed and damage boost.

The biggest complaint I had with the GBA remake was the change in perspective; rather than being full overhead it's tilted. But they made Hanzo and Musashi more interesting by giving them some spells, which was nice.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
funk_Farmer
8-bit

by funk_Farmer Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Definitely look into emulation for the Saturn. It has greatly improved and is my all time favorite system. You have the best bomberman game, shining force 3 is a great and there is a fan translation for the unreleased 2 episodes of it, you have dragon force which is a killer strategy game with infinite replay value... I could go on forever about it.

But you are absolutely right on the character design of the shining force games. I enjoy 1 over 2s character design, it really boils down to preference... they are both great. How is the Sega CD shining game treating you so far? It is ports of the game gear games and I have to play them at some point!

Gawldangit now I'm all pumped about Saturn emulation again, time to go down that rabbit hole and get it up and running on Ubuntu. So many good Saturn games. That system is mystical to me. I always wanted one but there was never one to be found.

So far Shining CD is pretty good. Only three battles in but I'm liking it a lot. They definitely did a little bit of work to get those games looking and sounding good considering they're ports from game gear like Bogus pointed out. Good times and great oldies.

All this strategy game talk makes me think it'd be awesome if somebody made a strategy game where your party members were folklore legends. Recruiting Paul Bunyan, John Henry, and the likes to take down some ultimate evil. I'd be in.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:15 am

PS4 and Switch are the best consoles since the Dreamcast.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
funk_Farmer wrote:I know the series continued on into the ps2 era but those games seem way more anime inspired and I just never got into them. I love the art style of the old Shining games. Back in the day when box art looked Frank Frazetta inspired. The characters are actually pretty memorable and I think they cover every type of humanoid race thing there is.

I actually really enjoyed Shining Force EXA when I played through it a year or two ago. I thought it was a really fun Diablo-style game. It's not exactly Shining Force like the first few were, but it's still a fun game. I'll get around to Shining Force Neo one of these days, as that's the previous game in the series that's also in that style :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming