Podcast #73 - Old Whines about New Skins

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Podcast #73 - Old Whines about New Skins

Post by dsheinem »

http://www.racketboy.com/podcast/racket ... -new-skins

In this episode Dave and John talk about what they’ve been up to for the past month, discuss the “debates” around the Analogue NT and Hyperkin Retron 5, talk about their summer gaming plans, and tackle your questions and comments.
Aramonde
128-bit

Re: Podcast #73 - Old Whines about New Skins

Post by Aramonde »

Good episode gentlemen, just like how you two agreed on everything, i also agreed with most of what you said.

Your audio was pretty good, at one point i could hear someone doing dishes or putting them away. Didn't bother me at all, if i had to guess i assume it was someone on John's end since the sounds always comes from him :P.

The highlight was at 57:25 when Dave was talking about Typing of the Dead and John said "I don't think its a very classic game, i think its a stupid game". That made bust out laughing it was just how he said it :lol: .

One thing i was disappointed with was your lack of knowledge about the MK ninjas. Their are seven ninjas (technically 8 but Khameleon but he's a bonus character). And you guys call yourselves gamers :P.

Anyway just so you know here are all the MK ninjas

Scorpion (Yellow)
Sub Zero (Blue)
Reptile (Green)
Ermac (Red)
Smoke (Grey)
Rain (Purple)
Noob Saibot (Black)

Oh and if you can, try to put out the questions notice at least a whole day in advance so people could get more questions in.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Nope, no dishes on my end. I am upstairs, so wouldnt pick up that noise from the kitchen. It may have been one of us typing or something that was distorted some in editing and made that sound...

Sorry about the ninjas, I only really played the first few MKs. I do know Smoke, so I did forget about him. But I think one of the bigger holes in Dave and my gaming knowledge is fighting games. I can appreciate them, but I am not much of a fighting game fan.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Thanks for discussing estarland. I looked up their trade-in program and it looks like it functions better than amazon's. Getting a better trade value for having a box and/or manual is a lot more efficient and fair than amazon's generic descriptions you select from.

And Modern Warfare 1 will be remembered as a classic. Its importance and influence on console FPS's is up there with Goldeneye and Halo 1 & 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

A slightly odd moan here, and this might just be me, but...

When you guys talk about a game, you quite often mention the name of the game only once, then continually refer the game thereafter without mentioning the title again. I tend to list to the podcast at work which means it's pretty easy to zone out in the crucial moment you mention the game and tune back in and spend the next 10 minutes wondering what game you're on about, or else trying to skip around to find the name of the game again XD.

Just spent 5 minutes figuring out that Dave was talking about Muramasa Rebirth :lol:
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Opa Opa wrote:Thanks for discussing estarland. I looked up their trade-in program and it looks like it functions better than amazon's.

eStarland is pretty good, but a few freckles for sure.

They are pretty strict on condition of games received, not as strict on games sent out. Meaning, if you send a CD game, you may get credit, it'll say something like, "deduction, scratches" so instead of $5 on that disc, you get like $2.60, but they still sell it at their full price. My first 10-15 orders I was really impressed w/condition - 4 of my last 5 orders i've had condition concerns. One I let go, the other 3 I reported, one was handled well and I was offered a return - the other they kept requesting additional pictures, and the other yet they still haven't responded to.

Cashout is a real headache - it pays 70% cash (so if you have $200 in credit, it's really only worth $140 real dollars). If you request a payout - in my 3 experiences, I had to hound them to get the checks, once took 5 weeks, once took 6 weeks, the other hadn't showed for 5 weeks, I contacted them on live-chat, they said it would be done today, 10 days went by, they said it would be done today, a week went by, I told him to just transfer it to my paypal. The next day they transferred it to my paypal...as goods, so paypal took 3.5%, so ultimately you get 66.5% real cash on a cashout.

The free shipping is cool, but you have to send at least $100 and 10 or more items. You really need to send at least $110 of goods, because if you send say $103 and you get a deduction, all of sudden you are at $98 of approved trade-ins, thus under the $100 to qualify for free shipping, so then they deduct the shipping charge of $12-15, so all of a sudden your $103 trade in gets you $83 trade in dollars, which is about $58 real dollars. So...i'm not saying they aren't a good resource, i'm saying they get a lot of first blush praise but they have their warts too.