Podcast Video Version?

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Podcast Video Version?

Post by Luke »

Stick with the non-filmed podcast. What noise said and such.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I'd watch it. But don't know if it's worth the effort and cost (I assume there would be at least some cost to this?), I'd rather you spend the time and effort into improving the sound quality on the show. I'd also donate to help that happen.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:I'd watch it. But don't know if it's worth the effort and cost (I assume there would be at least some cost to this?), I'd rather you spend the time and effort into improving the sound quality on the show. I'd also donate to help that happen.

Well, I don't think there would be any cost.

As far as sound quality, maybe I need a better mic? I am not really sure we have identified the root of some of the sound quality.

Now, interview episodes will have the quality limited by skype. These will typically sound like someone on a phone.

What specific issues are you referring to to the regulsr eps with just me and dave?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Stark wrote:I'd watch it. But don't know if it's worth the effort and cost (I assume there would be at least some cost to this?), I'd rather you spend the time and effort into improving the sound quality on the show. I'd also donate to help that happen.

As far as sound quality, maybe I need a better mic? I am not really sure we have identified the root of some of the sound quality.

Now, interview episodes will have the quality limited by skype. These will typically sound like someone on a phone.

What specific issues are you referring to to the regulsr eps with just me and dave?

It may just be the way you're doing it? It just seems to me there are often dips in volume or quality that make you (John) hard to hear. A better mic and one of those noise filters might help that, but I'm no sound engineer. I know the guys over at Gamers With Jobs do a podcast that is not with everybody in the same room and it sounds great, maybe we can glean some tips there? I love the quality in shows like Idle Thumbs and The Giant Bombcast, but I'm pretty sure they sit in the same room with high quality mics and sound-baffling. I didn't mean to make you fret about the sound quality of the show John, sorry. I just wanted to state, if you think we can make it better and the barrier is cost, we should do a fundraiser or something.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Stark wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

It may just be the way you're doing it? It just seems to me there are often dips in volume or quality that make you (John) hard to hear. A better mic and one of those noise filters might help that, but I'm no sound engineer. I know the guys over at Gamers With Jobs do a podcast that is not with everybody in the same room and it sounds great, maybe we can glean some tips there? I love the quality in shows like Idle Thumbs and The Giant Bombcast, but I'm pretty sure they sit in the same room with high quality mics and sound-baffling. I didn't mean to make you fret about the sound quality of the show John, sorry. I just wanted to state, if you think we can make it better and the barrier is cost, we should do a fundraiser or something.

I don't see any reason those volume dips and such couldn't be fixed with some normalization in editing.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

AppleQueso wrote:I don't see any reason those volume dips and such couldn't be fixed with some normalization in editing.

There was also a slight echo in the latest episode. I love listening and I know it's entirely volunteer, so maybe no changes are necessary. I'm not complaining.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:

No no, if there are issues, the feedback is appreciated. I would rather know than not.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Jmustang1968 wrote:No no, if there are issues, the feedback is appreciated. I would rather know than not.

I'm listening to the latest podcast now and it seems better than #51 to me. I guess I would only say the ambient background noise from John is a bit high sometimes and there was a bit of an echo at first. So ... you might be fine now. Sorry to derail.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:No no, if there are issues, the feedback is appreciated. I would rather know than not.

I'm listening to the latest podcast now and it seems better than #51 to me. I guess I would only say the ambient background noise from John is a bit high sometimes and there was a bit of an echo at first. So ... you might be fine now. Sorry to derail.

The echo is baffling to me. Mustve been some hardware or software glitch. I know we have been fighting the noise for a bit. The only thing I could think it is picking up is my pc fans and my AC in the house. Sitting in the room, it sounds quiet. So that might be a case of needing to get a higher quality mic.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Stark wrote:

The echo is baffling to me. Mustve been some hardware or software glitch. I know we have been fighting the noise for a bit. The only thing I could think it is picking up is my pc fans and my AC in the house. Sitting in the room, it sounds quiet. So that might be a case of needing to get a higher quality mic.

Well since John broached the subject, I'll share this:

Top is his audio, bottom is mine. The parts circled in red are supposed to be silence (one of us talking). The audio isn't synchronized here, but you can still see that the vast majority of the noise seems to be on his end.

Some shows I take the time to edit all the non talking parts to "silence" on each track, but on a "regular show" with lots of back and forth banter that can be a tedious, time consuming process and I tend to err on the side of getting it up in a timely fashion as opposed to having a perfect-sounding copy. Audacity's noise reduction is hit and miss, and it might be that I don't really get how to do low-level noise canceling...

Anyway, FYI.
Attachments
volume.jpg
volume.jpg (131.03 KiB) Viewed 14020 times