Racketboy Podcast Changes

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Racketboy Podcast Changes

Post by dsheinem »

After almost two and a half years of doing the Racketboy Podcast as an NPR-style, interview-focused show, I have decided that I am going to make some changes to the show and its format.

Specifically, I am going to move away from an exclusively interview-based show to one that is more of a "magazine-style" podcast, one that would regularly include a variety of of segments (including shorter interviews) and would be released every two weeks.

There are three main reasons why I am making this change.

1) The show needs to be more regular and, given the breadth of knowledge in the community, it has the potential to cover a lot of interesting topics with more regularity than it currently does.

2) It is sometimes difficult to nail down interviews in a timely fashion and/or to get them recorded and produced on a monthly basis. Scheduling conflicts, waiting to hear back from people that are interested, etc - this sometimes eats more time than expected, and so shows don't always get produced on time.

3) Experiments in doing different formats over the years - live shows, call-in shows, round-table shows, etc. - all of these have received very positive feedback. Opening up the show to the possibility of more of these kinds of experiences and to trying new things would be much more natural in a different format, so change makes sense.

There's a little more to it, but these are the main reasons that I think the show would benefit from change. I'd still plan on doing episodes from time to time that are like the hour-long interviews we have now (especially with genuinely interesting guests), but these would become more like "special episodes" and not the "new normal."

The OTHER big change is an idea I have toyed with in the past and have decided I finally am ready to do: I am looking for a co-host. I'd like any members that are interested to get in touch with me but - fair warning - I am going to be picky. If you are interested, please send me all or some of the following (via PM):

***APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED***

-links to any previous podcast work that you've done
-links to any writing you've done about games/game culture
-description of your recording setup/equipment and production capabilities
-an explanation of why you think you'd be a good co-host and, specifically, what you think you'd be able to contribute to the show every two weeks.
-your thoughts on what you'd like to see out of the redesigned show
-your thoughts on how you might be able to promote the show
-your resume (or at least a list of education/jobs so I get a sense of your experience/expertise outside gaming)

Yes, this reads like a job posting. No, the gig doesn't pay. :lol:

However, it is a chance for you to become a part of something that already has a pretty decent audience, so evidence of a commitment to quality is important and experience is preferred (but not required). The site gets several hundred thousand hits a month, and many episodes of the podcast have downloads numbering into the thousands, so this is a pretty cool gig, I think.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Podcast Changes | **Apply to be the Co-Host!**

Post by dsheinem »

I'll add that I'm also open to ideas for the redesign from people who aren't wanting to co-host, so feel free to pass those along/post them here.

And to answer publicly a question from a PM: no, you don't need to have/submit ALL the items listed above, but the more you can give me the better sense I'll have of your interest/abilities
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You'll have to come up with amusing nicknames for you and your cohost, like Boomer and The Nudge.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

MrPopo wrote:You'll have to come up with amusing nicknames for you and your cohost, like Boomer and The Nudge.

I'm already toying around with the name "SUPER Racketboy Podcast" or "Racketboy Podcast 32X" etc.
Para
128-bit

Post by Para »

I have no experience or credentials but I will do it.
Thread closed.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Para wrote:I have no experience or credentials but I will do it.
Thread closed.

:lol:

None are required, you know...
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

If I may, I'd suggest rotating guest hosts at first. Then you can make sure you have chemistry and I think the variety would be nice. I bet Adam Corolla is free.

Also inb4 Dave starts selling guest spots in his bst thread.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

flex wood wrote:If I may, I'd suggest rotating guest hosts at first. Then you can make sure you have chemistry and I think the variety would be nice. I bet Adam Corolla is free.

Also inb4 Dave starts selling guest spots in his bst thread.

I would love to see Adam Carolla co-hosting the podcast.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

flex wood wrote:Also inb4 Dave starts selling guest spots in his bst thread.

dsheinem of the future wrote:new stuff, everything else to ebay
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

i nominate satoshi martix
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.