What would get you to listen to the racketboy podcast?

Podcast announcements, feedback, and discussion
dsheinem
Next-Gen

What would get you to listen to the racketboy podcast?

Post by dsheinem »

I am stealing a bit from noise's idea about the future of his blog, but I thought a similar question could be useful to me...

Anyway, I am quite happy with the amount of listeners we already get (Racket's last round of numbers he sent me suggested we average a couple of thousand hits per show), but I'd love to see the audience grow - especially amongst forum members.

So, if you haven't listened, why not? What would it take to get you to listen?

If you have listened but stopped, what would make you want to give it another shot?

Don't get me wrong, I'd do the show if only a handful of people listened to it as it is a labor of love :D But I'll also admit I'm sometimes jealous of those shows that garner significant feedback and discussion after each episode, and I sometimes feel like we are falling short in that area...

Edit: If it helps, here's what we've done so far -

Racketboy Podcast #19 – Atari 2600 Homebrew
Episode #18 – MechCorps @ DragonCon
Episode #17 - Live @ TooManyGames II (Brandon DiCamillo, Island Officials, and Chipocrite)
Episode #16 - Mike Posehn and Dave Foley on the Strike Series
Episode #15 - Indie Shmups
Episode #14 - Retroware TV
Episode #13 – Garnet Hertz’s Outrun Project
Episode #12 – Console Modding w/ Ben Heck and Bacteria
Episode 11 – Live @ TooManyGames
Episode 10 – PAX East Retro-Roundup Pt. 2: The Best of Indie 2D
Episode 9: PAX East Retro-Roundup Pt. 1: Arcades, Wombat, & Retro Stores
Episode 8: Phantasy Star
Episode 7: Keith Apicary/Nathan Barnatt
Episode 6: Apple 1 Replica Creator Vince Briel/Programmer Dave Foley/J.J. Hendricks of videogamepricecharts.com
Episode 5: Programmer Steve Cartwright/Super Fighter Team President Brandon Cobb
Episode 4: Britt LaRiviere, founder of The Speed Gamers/ Desert Bus for Hope team (Loading Ready Run)
Episode 3: Wizard of Wor Record holders
Episode 2: Smash TV Programmers Mark Turmell and Eugene Jarvis
Episode 1: Kurt Kulata of Hardcoregaming101/Racketboy/The Video Game Critic
Flake

Re: What would get you to listen to the racketboy podcast?

Post by Flake »

Well I would probably advertise the show a bit more - tie episodes in with what is going on around the site.

Also, and I might be the only one who feels this way, sometimes the topics seem to be almost TOO out there. I know that the podcast probably does not want to tread ground already traveled by other podcasts of similar natures, but a lot of the times I see the topic of the current podcast is something completely alien to me.

Maybe more diversity within the podcasts themselves or have a episodes here and there covering more familiar territory?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't know what to say other than the RB Podcast is my absolute favorite Podcast. It's awesome and I hope everyone on this forum listens every month.

OH OH and maybe wear pants.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

While this is just a matter of opinion, when I last listened to the podcast, it was far too formal for my tastes, especially when compared to podcasts like Retronauts and HG101. Lighten up things a little, and make it as entertaining as it is informative.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
wootcube
32-bit

Post by wootcube »

Er, this is probly the dumbest reply you'll get but knowing it exists after reading this thread greatly increases my chances of listening to it.

Maybe advertise it more on the site?
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

We have a podcast?
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

lisalover1 wrote:While this is just a matter of opinion, when I last listened to the podcast, it was far too formal for my tastes, especially when compared to podcasts like Retronauts and HG101. Lighten up things a little, and make it as entertaining as it is informative.

I'm actually quite the opposite. The formality is probably my favorite thing about it. DSH and I have talked before about being fans of NPR, so I think that's where this comes from. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Retronauts a lot as well, but I think the formality is what makes this show stand out. Every other podcast out there is lightened up and tries to entertain instead of just being okay with being informative. Not everyone is a comedian (I'm not sparring with you lisalover, you know you're my Brosephine Baker).
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

swiftzx wrote:We have a podcast?

I thought the same thing. I'll give it a listen :mrgreen:
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

SwooshBear wrote:
swiftzx wrote:We have a podcast?

I thought the same thing. I'll give it a listen :mrgreen:

What did y'all think the "Podcast" section of the forum was about?

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I do find it valuable for thinking about how to improve the show (which is why I've asked for it). Please keep it coming!
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

dsheinem wrote:What did y'all think the "Podcast" section of the forum was about?

I didnt realize we had one :lol: my mistake
Last edited by SwooshBear on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742